Ladies who weigh in once a month...

Options
jax_006
jax_006 Posts: 87 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Any ladies out there only weigh themselves once/month? I am looking into switching to doing this from weighing in everyday (though I have only done it for 1.5 months), but I want to know what day of the month do you weigh yourself, considering ovulation week and TOM. Do you choose the day after you end your period or ?

I just want to try and weigh on the day where my hormones (bc I'm female) aren't making me retain water etc for the truest reading.

TIA! :)

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    If you have been daily weighing you will know already your lightest day in your cycle to weigh in. I weigh daily and its a good habit for me even in maintenance imo but my lightest day was always the week before my period started.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Nah i prefer to weigh more often so i can sort of get a feel on how my weight is looking, Why do you want to weigh less? Maybe try once a week instead? Not that it really matters i guess but id personally like to see if im absent mindedly gaining weight so i can be like oh well i started to do -something- i guess it doesnt agree with me..

Plus imagine once a month and you just happen to have alot of water weight that day? youd feel so bad. Could also probably drink less for a few days before and look like you actually weigh less, Equally as bad id say.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    jax_006 wrote: »
    Any ladies out there only weigh themselves once/month? I am looking into switching to doing this from weighing in everyday (though I have only done it for 1.5 months), but I want to know what day of the month do you weigh yourself, considering ovulation week and TOM. Do you choose the day after you end your period or ?

I just want to try and weigh on the day where my hormones (bc I'm female) aren't making me retain water etc for the truest reading.

TIA! :)

That isn't necessarily your truest reading.

If you are weighing yourself daily (it's usually fine), weigh yourself under the same conditions all the time and use a weight trend app to gauge your average. As long as it is moving down (if your goal is weight loss), then you are fine.

Any given time you step on a scale, there are a multitude of factors at play. Hydration levels, waste in your system, food in your stomach, ovulation, menstruation and water retention are all factors that come into play at any given time.

Weighing once a month will not provide very accurate data points. If it's for sanity's sake, then go ahead. But just know that on Dec 7th, 2016 I weight xx amount. And then on January 7th, 2016 I may weigh more than that. Or less. Depends on if I dropped a deuce yet.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I usually weighed myself every day the week following my period. It's the only time I don't retain water, so it's the best way to really compare my weight loss rate. I'd just log the lowest weight every month and move on - I know it's not my real weight, but it's the best point of comparison. I usually stopped weighing after 3 days without a loss (but I typically lost 3-4 pounds that week).

I agree that just once a month would have been extremely frustrating because it really wouldn't mean anything... but if I had to pick one day, it would be exactly one week after my period ended I guess.