Help! I went to dinner and had a California grilled chicken sandwich!

Options

Replies

• rikkejanell2014
    rikkejanell2014 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Deep breath.

Do you generally have anxiety? I do. I can relate to your anxiety over eating things that you aren't able to accurately weigh. Here's the thing: this is a journey. It's a long one. I'm 98 days in and 30 lbs down. Might not be the most impressive weight loss but I did it with a decent amount of restaurant dining. I still have a lot more to lose. I'm trying to enjoy eating just as much as I did before--and I still do!

Once you start to see more movement on the scale and you've had success even while eating out you'll start to feel more comfortable.

Some tips about dining out:

-Plan your meal before you order. Use the MFP database to try and get an idea of the calorie content. It won't be exact but it will give you a general sense of what you are consuming.
    -If you know you want to "splurge" without guilt try to work in extra physical activity during the day. It really helps my mindset. It might help you too.
    -Relax. Enjoy it. Have good conversation. Talk while you eat. Eat what you love (maybe just less or swap out some sides for lower calorie options if you so desire).

Good luck to you. I truly do believe you will feel more at ease once you have a few weeks of success where you are losing weight while still eating at restaurants.

Wow thank you. I just want it so bad and don't want to fair again. This is the longest I've worked out and eaten healthy.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    Deep breath.

Do you generally have anxiety? I do. I can relate to your anxiety over eating things that you aren't able to accurately weigh. Here's the thing: this is a journey. It's a long one. I'm 98 days in and 30 lbs down. Might not be the most impressive weight loss but I did it with a decent amount of restaurant dining. I still have a lot more to lose. I'm trying to enjoy eating just as much as I did before--and I still do!

Once you start to see more movement on the scale and you've had success even while eating out you'll start to feel more comfortable.

Some tips about dining out:

-Plan your meal before you order. Use the MFP database to try and get an idea of the calorie content. It won't be exact but it will give you a general sense of what you are consuming.
    -If you know you want to "splurge" without guilt try to work in extra physical activity during the day. It really helps my mindset. It might help you too.
    -Relax. Enjoy it. Have good conversation. Talk while you eat. Eat what you love (maybe just less or swap out some sides for lower calorie options if you so desire).

Good luck to you. I truly do believe you will feel more at ease once you have a few weeks of success where you are losing weight while still eating at restaurants.

Wow thank you. I just want it so bad and don't want to fair again. This is the longest I've worked out and eaten healthy.

Fail not fair
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's just one meal and not that calorific of a meal. You need to relax and change your mentality about food. It's not healthy.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Judging from your other posts regarding cheat meals and eating out, it seems as if you psyched yourself way before you went to this restaurant. Just relax! Life is not that rough, and it is just food - nothing more, nothing less. Take it one step at a time. The first phase should just consist of logging your meals and exercise, and then you troubleshoot from there. Good luck.
  • Skyblueyellow
    Skyblueyellow Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You can do this OP. It's ok to feel anxious about things, but don't let that rule your eating. Take it all in stride. Each wonderful small decision adds up to big success. Remember that each small decision is just a teeny tiny fraction of your day, and and even smaller portion of your life. So even if you *think* you blew it, it's a teeny-tiny piece of a big journey. Don't let it set you back.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. I would stop trying to quantify foods as "healthy" or "not healthy" and maybe that will alleviate some of your stress. Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. You could eat donuts for the whole day and still lose as long as you were at a deficit. I don't recommend it, but you can. :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Don't be scared! Any food can be eaten and you can still lose weight as long as you eat in moderation- which is sounds like you did! It was grilled, not deep fried, and you ate half the fries, not all. That's fine!!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    You say "help!" -- what kind of help are you looking for?

Best common-sense advice I recall about food choice was in a diet book (although I normally hate diet books) called Fat Loss Happens on Mondays. It was basically "eat like an adult," by which he meant "try to generally consider things like nutrition in your food choices and eat a healthy balanced diet" and also "what you choose to eat for a particular meal or day isn't going to matter much, don't overreact to it or obsess about it." That works for me.

Understanding WHAT a nutritious diet is and how to construct one and that having some bread or whatever it is that you think was bad is not inconsistent with having a nutritious diet at all is probably also helpful.
  • successgal1
    successgal1 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Take a deep breath. There was nothing inherently "unhealthy" about your meal. Weight loss is about a calorie deficit, not about what you actually eat, just the amount. That being said its generally good to make nutritious food choices to fuel your body. Theoretically though, you can eat "healthy" salads all week, and still go over the calorie deficit and gain weight. (though that would be a LOT of salad).

Look at your deficit as weekly, not daily. Poke around on MFP on a desktop and you'll find your stats on how much of a deficit you have for the week. MFP already programs in a calorie deficit for you. It takes a 3000 calorie deficit to lose 1 lb. So if you're set at a 1lb loss per week, and one day you go over your calorie goal by 500 calories, that means you're still at a 2500 calorie deficit. So big deal, you slowed your weight lost that week to .80 of a pound? It's still a loss. Many people simply do something else that week that burns an extra 500 calories. Take a couple of longish walks. You did that, you worked out.

Again "healthy" food has almost nothing to do with weight loss. Its all about the calories. We love Duffy's. I have to avoid Duffy's myself right now....not because the food is "unhealthy" or even extra calories. But because they have 2 for 1 drinks. LOL that's where the calories will get me!

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Heh, do they still play those? You may be dating yourself (and me)!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Heh, do they still play those? You may be dating yourself (and me)!

I saw one just last week!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It had cheese, bacon, avocado, lett, tomato. I guess im jusy scared because im really excited about losing weight.

Nothing wrong with those things at all...cheese can be calorie dense, but that has nothing to do with nutritional value...a little bacon here and there is totally fine...avocados are nutritional powerhouses...veg is obviously very good for you...not really seeing a problem here.
  • rikkejanell2014
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »
    Take a deep breath. I would stop trying to quantify foods as "healthy" or "not healthy" and maybe that will alleviate some of your stress. Eat at a caloric deficit and you will lose weight. You could eat donuts for the whole day and still lose as long as you were at a deficit. I don't recommend it, but you can. :)

Lol ok
  • Troutsy
    Troutsy Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    One heavy calorie meal won't make you gain weight just as one low calorie meal wont make you lose weight. It is all about balance. As long as your are still in your weekly deficit you will be fine. Eating out doesn't have to be stressful. If know you are going out to eat, just preplan before you go. Take a look at the menu before you go and pick choices that will fit your calorie and macro goals.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    It had cheese, bacon, avocado, lett, tomato. I guess im jusy scared because im really excited about losing weight.

Sounds like lunch to me. :)

• happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have to say that sounds amazing! Don't stress I know easier said than done but log what you are and simply move on. :)
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I made a turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich last night for dinner. Thanks for the suggestion!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I made a turkey, bacon and avocado sandwich last night for dinner. Thanks for the suggestion!!

I Just had a Cuban sandwich for lunch. Pork loin, turkey, swiss, pickles and mustard, grilled in a panini press. With garlic parmesan fries. Yum.