Is it better to work out during the day

Vs afternoon or night?

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Personal preference. Work out whenever is best for you and your schedule. :flowerforyou:
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    I'm at the gym by 5:30. Really gives my whole day a kick-start, and by 8:30-9:00, I'm ready to hit the hay, and I sleep great.
  • tiggerlove
    tiggerlove Posts: 225 Member
    I work out mostly in the afternoon..sometimes in the A.M..i use to wor out at 11:30 right after work. In the end it's ur preference.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Definitely during the day. Demons wander at night and may pose danger.

:laugh:
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I think setting only certain times of the day or night limits people.

My sister is a first thing in the morning person, so if she don't get her exercise in first thing in the morning, it is very unlikely that she will even exercise at all that day.

I exercise anytime of the day or night when ever I can fit it in. If I get my 3 mile jog/power walk in during my lunch break at work, I can usually squeeze another quick workout in the evening before bed time.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    It does depend on what kind of working out you are doing. When weight lifting there is a clear difference between my evening workouts during the week and my morning workouts on weekends. Supposedly there is a physiological reason for this. I haven't felt any difference when it comes to cardio though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,919 Member
    For me it's mid morning for one main reason..........................it's less crowded and I don't have to wait for anything.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,508 Member
    I only train after the sun gets warm.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    It's preference but I like to get it done early so I don't have to think about it for the rest of the day bc it's out of the way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Between 1 and 4 am there is NOBODY in my way at the gym. (<-- it's a 24 hour gym) That's the best time for weights and other "gym stuff" in my opinion. If I'm trail running or mountain biking, whatever time of day is not too hot or not too cold. That varies depending on the season. If I'm just hiking, whenever is fine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,475 Member
    When I cycle really long distance events I workout morning, afternoon, evening and night. :)
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    I like morning, because the longer I wait the easier it is for me to talk myself out of exercise, or there is more of a chance that something can come up to interfere. Plus my children are easiest first thing in the morning!

I have a friend though who loves night workouts- she hits the gym around midnight and her body is banging.

Whatever works for you.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    If you're going to work out during the day, be sure to do it in the shade.

I see what you did there. :laugh:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Workout whenever it suits you best.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    Whatever works for you. I found if I got on the treadmill even minutes after 9pm, I had difficulty getting to sleep (around 11pm). I love being able to workout mid morning, not sure how I'll feel when my schedule changes and it's no longer an option.

Do what is sustainable. Even if night workouts dropped weight faster, they're unlikely something I'd do. If I'm not going to stick to it, then it's not better (for me).
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Whatever works for you!

Just keep in mind exercising less than 2 hours before bedtime (unless it's something not strenuous like meditative yoga) can make it hard to get to sleep. And of course exercising on a full or empty stomach is problematic.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Whatever works for you!

Just keep in mind exercising less than 2 hours before bedtime (unless it's something not strenuous like meditative yoga) can make it hard to get to sleep. And of course exercising on a full or empty stomach is problematic.

Not for everyone. If I missed a workout I will often get it in just before bed. It has no impact on my sleep.

Same for stomach issues. Some folks can handle it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Vs afternoon or night?

Logically, why would it make any difference?