Female Runners

Options
Hi I am a 25 year old female who runs almost everyday and currently training for a marathon. I am currently at 119 pounds (I am 5'5) and looking to gain weight as a I have lost my menstrual cycle for quite sometime now.
I was hoping to see if any other runners have lost their cycle but got it back by changing their diet. Any tips would be appreciated!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Have you seen an obgyn about this?

If you want to gain weight, you need to eat more calories than you expend. It's possible if you struggle with that, you will have to taper back on your running. Also, getting adequate fats and protein are highly beneficial. Fats support hormone production and proteins support muscle building, pending they have a good stimulus. So I would also recommend that you start lifting, especially if you want muscle gains.
  • macmathuna
    macmathuna Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of red meat for iron or supplement with iron tablets.
    Nutrition needs to be sorted out before you start adding in weight training.
    Get on top of things asap incase of over training.
  • scooter5106
    scooter5106 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Take vitamin D it is used to help make normal hormones in the body. Plus it's recommended by the national osteoporosis foundation for women of all ages to help calcium absorption and bone strength. Also, see your Dr. sometimes taking a form of birth control can bring back regularity.
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I agree with Lemon, might wanna check with a doc.
    I've been running a while and have ran 2 half and currently training for my first full. I'm 5'2" and 105lbs, at my lowest I weighed a solid 98 lbs before I started incorporating more lifting and strength training, but never had any issues with my cycle.