Does squats actually make your bum bigger?

So I am in the fairly average weight but I do still have some fat around that I want to lose maybe around 4kg and I have a quite a small bum also.I have been wondering if I should start a workout routine focused on different types of squats before or after I lose my 4kg?Will it a make a difference?I have read from other threads that by doing squats now when I still have the body fat I am only reducing the fat and not building muscle which will make it smaller and unless I lose the 4kg and have a lower fat percentage my bum would not build up on muscle and thus, be smaller than it already is.I have naturally thick thighs so if I do squats would they become very thick or it would not be much of a difference?Im sorry if this all seems ridiculous as i have just entered the fitness world haha.Please do tell me if I should start before or after and if anyone is actually successful in a noticible change doing squats.Thank you for your time!

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    I've always had a flat *kitten* my husband always teased me about it. We do squats in every Boot camp session since August and now my husband says "Hmmmm you're starting to get a butt now" LOL!! I see him sneaking peeks and copping feels LOL!

My son's girlfriend says "Ma I see your butt is quite lifted now. It looks good!!

So yes squats work.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    To an extent.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member

I feel like squats are touted as THE glute exercise (to the general public) and I will have to say that without really squeezing at the top of the motion, it is a quad dominant exercise.

I would vote for barbell hip thrusts and deadlifts as better glute exercises.

I mean, doing them all would be ideal but it sometimes irritates me when I see a '30 days to a better bum' post and all it consists of is squats.

I totally agree.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    I feel like squats are touted as THE glute exercise (to the general public) and I will have to say that without really squeezing at the top of the motion, it is a quad dominant exercise.

I mean, doing them all would be ideal but it sometimes irritates me when I see a '30 days to a better bum' post and all it consists of is squats.

I agree and not to mention the squat challenges are usually all bodyweight squats.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member

I definitely never feel it in my glutes when I do squats.
    http://www.blogilates.com/blog/2015/01/30/30-day-butt-lift-challenge/
    the exercises on here (that aren't squats) work better for me.
  • KelBgess
    KelBgess Posts: 27 Member
    You have to lift heavy to see results and yes, squeezing at the top of the motion (including deadlifts) is necessary. Also vary up the type of squats. Deadlifts and step ups are other great ways to build up that posterior. As are glute bridges and donkey kicks.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member

This, but I would also add lunges.

The primary issue with squats for glute development is that a lot of people don't really know how to properly activate their glutes early in their squatting career, whereas with the others, it just kind of happens, or you fail the movement.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    To get bigger butt muscles, you train them for hypertrophy. That means, progressive overload, higher volume training and a surplus. If you're trying to lose weight it MAY happen, but it usually takes a lot more time to achieve it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    My but is kind of like my abs. If I want to see it, I'm going to have to lose fat.
  • SChaluisan
    SChaluisan Posts: 5 Member
    I'm just the opposite; very blessed in the bum area. I'm working on lifting my bum (reducing sag) and weight loss. I walk a lot, do squats, dead lifts, leg sled helps a little but targets quads the most.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Much more than squats can make the glute muscle bigger which pushes out the body fat. It's the combination of muscle and body fat, and in a lot of cases youth, that make the shape what it is. Don't just do squats, look up some glute routines, so many to choose from!
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    OP, if you are looking to build your glutes, I will suggest this program called Strong Curves.

There are different levels and there is a bodyweight level if you don't have access to a gym.

http://www.strongcurves.com/
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Google Brett Contreras and strong curves.
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    edited December 2016
    Yes! I have only done 4 weeks of Strong Curves so far and I am already seeing things change. Brett Contreras is THE glute guy. :)
  • amyinthetardis1231
    amyinthetardis1231 Posts: 571 Member
    What would folks recommend if you already have a large butt (muscular, and with fat now but always pretty noticeable even when I was skinny) and you just want to perk it up some? I don't need more butt, I just don't want it hitting the back of my knees.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    What would folks recommend if you already have a large butt (muscular, and with fat now but always pretty noticeable even when I was skinny) and you just want to perk it up some? I don't need more butt, I just don't want it hitting the back of my knees.

Strong curves is awesome. Just reading the book will give you all the info you need even if you decide to follow a different program.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member

I second this.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016

Agreed, hip thrust and deads are generally better for the glutes.

My quads are the main focus when my program calls for squats.

OP, lifting exercises during a cut phase is to retain as much muscle as possible and to add strength. I wouldn't shy from them just because your not building muscles per sae. You do a established program will bring results as you lose fat too.