Replies

• angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    What do they taste like? I've never had one
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Gah, I LOVE LOVE LOVE persimmons. My MiL has a tree. YUMMMM.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I've never had a chocolate persimmon but regular persimmons are good. Once in a great while I can find one at a store around here. Over in Indiana they seem to be popular. I have a few friends from IN who talk about persimmon pudding.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Okay, no one answer me, that's fineeeeeeeeee
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

They are a fruit and are sweet and have their own flavor. They kind of look like tomatoes but don't taste like them at all. The skin is slightly tougher than a tomato but thin enough to bite through and eat.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options

There's many different varieties. The most common variety, Fuyu, tastes like somewhere along the lines of an apricot-apple-mango to me. You can eat them hard or let them get soft and the flesh turns to jelly and use it in baking or smoothies.

The other popular variety is the Hachiya. I never buy those though because they can take a long time to ripen. They are very astringent otherwise.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    I love persimmons! Now I have to find a chocolate one.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I need some persimmons man. I haven't had any in over a year.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I love persimmons and buy them when on sale,right now they are $2 a piece and thats too much for me because I eat so many lol. we dont have any trees though,we have a pawpaw tree but never ate any because the deer and other animals eat them before they can ripen. never had or knew they had "chocolate" ones. doubt we will ever get them here in wv. bad enough certain imported fruits are hard to find,you buy it once and then its gone it seems
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    There's a Japanese-American owned persimmon farm located in Granite Bay north of Sac that I go to. I'm not a fan of fresh persimmons but they make the Japanese style hand-massaged, dried persimmons called "hoshigaki" that I LOVE.

Easy to spend a $100 for just a couple of pounds that I ration to last the entire year, which remInds me: It's time to head back up there for a new supply!!

I could order it by mail but what's the fun in that? ;)
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I've never seen chocolate persimmons. I actually just tried regular persimmons for the first time a couple of months ago. I liked them, but I'm not a big fruit eater, so I tend to forget that I bought them and they go bad before I get a chance to eat them.
  • lemmie177
    lemmie177 Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I have a VERY prolific Fuyu persimmon tree in my backyard. Couple weeks ago, I was swimming in persimmon. I took a huge bag to my grandparents' old folks community, made persimmon cookies for T-giving, been eating more persimmon oatmeal than I'd like. Still have more and don't want anything to do with them. I should probably dehydrate them or freeze the pulp. I love em in the beginning, but now, as far as I'm concerned, they're just taking up space for my favorite winter fruit, pomegranate!

There's a widely held Chinese belief that you can't eat persimmon and crab together. I don't know where it comes from, but my grandma tells me all the time. Says I'll just fall over dead. Seems crazy, but never tried it, mostly cause it sounds super unappetizing.
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options

They have the texture of an apple but taste more simmony
  • th1nr
    th1nr Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    lemmie177 wrote: »
    I have a VERY prolific Fuyu persimmon tree in my backyard. Couple weeks ago, I was swimming in persimmon. I took a huge bag to my grandparents' old folks community, made persimmon cookies for T-giving, been eating more persimmon oatmeal than I'd like. Still have more and don't want anything to do with them. I should probably dehydrate them or freeze the pulp. I love em in the beginning, but now, as far as I'm concerned, they're just taking up space for my favorite winter fruit, pomegranate!

There's a widely held Chinese belief that you can't eat persimmon and crab together. I don't know where it comes from, but my grandma tells me all the time. Says I'll just fall over dead. Seems crazy, but never tried it, mostly cause it sounds super unappetizing.

Send them to me!!! I can't find them in my area
  • litoria
    litoria Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Try them mashed up and frozen for a really yummy sorbet. Mmmm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    th1nr wrote: »

They have the texture of an apple but taste more simmony

Are sure you are eating persimmons? Because what you just described is nothing like a persimmon at all. And I do mean, nothing.
    They have their own texture and taste, kind of soft and mushy, and honey like sweet.

This. There are (generally speaking) two main varieties of persimmons. One is yummy. Neither resembles the texture of an apple. :smile: