Medical question

Options
born_of_fire74
born_of_fire74 Posts: 776 Member
My husband had a chunk of his cheek removed and sent for biopsy a couple weeks ago. He saw the doctor today and was told that he has pre-cancerous cells so they're going to give him a topical cream that is supposed to "make the cancer come out of his face". Once he finished up with that, he goes back for another round of testing.

I know this is only a little slice of information but I'm hoping some of you more medically capable folks can give me a better idea of what is likely going on and, more importantly, how worried I should be about this; I am freaking the *kitten* out here but I am an anxious person by nature. My husband OTOH is convinced he is invincible and doesn't seem the least bit concerned. I'm sure the correct reaction is somewhere between his and mine.

His doctor won't talk to me without him and he didn't want me at the appointment because he thinks it's no big deal.

Please help if you are able to.

Replies

• RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I am in no way qualified to tell you how serious this is or how worried you should be but... My uncle had pre cancerous cells on his forehead. Did the cream you are speaking of and is now cancer free. Sounds like they caught it early and are on top of it. Best of luck, I hope it all turns out for the best.
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Tell your Husband that your freaking out about it and that it might be good for both of you if you can come along to speak to the doc. He should see your worried and be ok with it. Don't push though as you have to respect his privacy and he very well may be freaking out himself, just not showing it. Or simply ignoring it.

I see lots of cancer patients, it's a common way of dealing with it.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    What Stabby said you should go. I learned when my dad was sick it's best to have someone else there to listen because when it's about you it's hard to hear awful stuff
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Men are a bit hardheaded about this type of stuff they think they are invincible. Our health and each other is all we have in life.

I am neither qualified to tell you how serious it either, but I think I might say to you trust the doctors and the treatment but get involved in his treatment. You must sit down and talk to him and tell him not to forget that what he goes through you go through and vice versa..

Just wanted to send you some support and say I sincerely hope it all works out.. Best of luck to you both!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to say but I want to wish you and your husband the best.