Counting Added Sugar

Replies

• Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    sijomial wrote: »
    I WISH THIS APP DIFERENTIATED BETWEEN ADDED SUGAR AND NATURAL SUGAR!
    Your body can't differentiate between them.
    AND WHY ARE WE SHOUTING???!!!

Nice!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I WISH THIS APP DIFERENTIATED BETWEEN ADDED SUGAR AND NATURAL SUGAR! I'm trying to count my carbs and sugars daily and I look at my sugar counts that are higher then I want them to be but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars.

Nutritional labels don't differentiate (at least not in the states) and that's where most of the data comes from for stuff in the database...there's no way for the app to really differentiate if it isn't differentiated on the food label.

Your body doesn't really differentiate either...
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    Sounds like everyone on this thread has found what works for them! I'm not here to try to tell others to eat refined or natural sugar or educate you and i apologize if it came across that way. I was saying what has worked for me and others. Clearly everyone else on this specific thread can eat sugar in moderation and it works well and you are all within normal weight range...I apologize to the original poser that we have taken over your post so rudely.
  • Cbestinme
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

It can't, as that's not on food labels yet (in the US anyway). I expect it will in the future.
    I'm trying to count my carbs and sugars daily and I look at my sugar counts that are higher then I want them to be but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars.

I don't count sugar specifically, but I at first (and occasionally when I'm logging) look over my sugars to see how much added sugar I'm getting. Since I don't eat much packaged stuff it's pretty obvious -- sugars from whole foods, not added. Sugar from ice cream, added.

I don't know where you got 26 g -- the lowest sugar goal you should get is 45 g, as MFP's goal is 15% of total calories. But I would say rather than count sugar the following strikes me as a better way to make sure you have a healthy balanced diet:

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?
    (3) Getting in healthy sources of fat?
    (4) Hitting the fiber goal?
    (5) Maybe glance through the day and make sure you aren't getting lots of sugar from unexpected sources or eating lots of low nutrient foods -- but if you've done 1-4 that's very unlikely.

Where does 45 g come from?

I think 26 g in OP question sounds close to 24 or 25 g that I've seen mentioned somewhere.

In mfp tool, I noticed I could change my sugar grams grams to 24, 25, 26 etc ie whatever I choose that suits my body.

Did I misread your comment? where does 45g "lowest sugar goal" come from?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2016
    I can't wrap my mind around why so many people want to watch sugar to the gram. Those who watch carbs have the carbs number to look at and don't really need to track sugar per se. Even health organizations that advise limiting added sugar use added sugar as proxy for added low nutrition calories for people who do not track calories. For those who track calories, it's enough to know the calorie number and look how many calories out of the day low nutrient items take up. Those who watch sugar for the purpose of not being triggered to eat more would usually do best keeping track of their trigger foods instead of precise grams of added sugar, which can easily via food diary. Even diabetics don't really need to look at exact grams of sugar, but at carbs as a whole. Even for those who have one of these rare congenital diseases where they can't break down certain sugars, particular types of sugars need to be watched, without a distinction between natural and added.

Personally, I would turn off sugar tracking all together, but if you still want to do it, you may need to do it manually. The way the database is set up and foods are currently labeled, it's hard to distinguish between natural and added sugars in certain foods.
    After reading a lot (in here as well as other sources) and digging deep, I can finally wrap my mind around all that food anxiety. It's the proxies that health organizations use, and the media, diet industry, food industry and blogosphere adding insult to injury.

Mmm, I'd give them more of a break. The anxiety seems to be coming from people, not from the health organizations. I've read a whole lot of the nutrition advice and health organization stuff, because of interest, not anxiety, and because gathering information is how I tend to respond to a problem, and this is what I took away:

Eat a good diet with lots of whole food plants (particularly vegetables). Maybe think about half the plate should be vegetables.

Avoid EXCESSIVE calories, sat fat, sodium, sugar -- and the easiest way to do that is by cooking from scratch and not adding excess amounts, but if you prefer not to cook watch those things as lots of production have lots added (not all, however)

Get a decent amount of protein (what this means differs somewhat depending on the source you choose and what your goals are).

Eat foods that have more fiber/are less processed when possible, or for at least half of your intake.

As for the reason for watching sugar -- main reason is that foods with lots of added sugar are high in calories (often from other ingredients like fat too) and low in nutrients. Thus, they should be considered extras or calories on top of the more important/nutrient dense stuff, and not a huge part of your diet. Good estimate for the average person (obviously depending on what your diet consists of anyway) is about 5-10% of overall calories or maybe not more than 20% (and ideally 10%) on things that are extras -- high cal, not contributing lots of nutrients. But it's not a specific number that matters but how it fits into the overall diet and getting in otherwise a healthy, balanced diet. Mostly this is common sense and what you probably could have told me at age 6.

To get out of it that hitting (or staying under) a very specific number of sugar grams, let alone that something like fruit is to be worried about (unless you are overweight and just trying to find some way to cut calories) is no only wrong, but IMO doesn't result from a fair reading of the sources. And I don't find that people who know the most are the ones who fall into this.

It is like, to me, claiming that people ate lots of Snackwells and waffles with fake syrup and thought they were being healthy. They didn't -- they knew this had NOTHING to do with the advice on good nutrition, which never said eat lots of refined carbs, white flour, sugar, and almost no vegetables, which is what they proceeded to do (and to claim people were really worried about fat in an era in which they increased consumption of fast food also makes no sense). People who don't want to do what they know they should do sometimes use "oh, why should I believe it, everything constantly changes, it's too complicated, probably tomorrow spinach and broccoli will cause cancer) as a way to deflect, sure, but it's really not that complicated and stuff like MyPlate (which is supposed to be how Americans learn about the dietary guidelines/nutrition) don't really present it as such either.
    Instead of explaining that calories is what regulates body weight, they tell us to avoid sugar.

The reasons for the sugar requirements are usually explained. I would agree that there seems to be an idea that watching calories is too hard, so focusing on food choice (cut down on soda and sweets, basically, as well as on refined carbs and foods high in added sodium and sat fat (red meat and things with added sat fat is usually the take away here)) is given instead. I suspect the view that people won't actually watch calories in the majority of cases is right -- sad, and I'd be happy to be wrong -- but I don't think the advice is that tough to follow. If the average American cut down on sweets, packaged stuff with lots of sodium, and fast food, they'd be cutting calories. If they also added more vegetables, switched to less refined carbs/grains in at least some cases, and ate leaner sources of protein, they'd end up cutting calories and having a healthier diet.

Is this the answer for everyone? No, nothing is. Do I personally resonate more with something like Michael Pollan's approach (not that different in practice, IMO) -- sure, but then I love to cook and am of a cultural class that seems especially invested in the "natural=better" thing and foodie-ism, even though I mock it in myself. Is everyone going to find that appealing? No -- so giving the basic information and letting them decide what to do with it seems to me all we can expect. Blaming the gov't for people eating badly is something that makes no sense to me.
    Hi there :) I was thinking about you as one of my mentors - you were the one who taught me about the reasoning for the (added) sugar recommendations a year or so ago. I grew up with those recommendations, I knew them by heart, and I consider myself literate and fairly intelligent, but I didn't get the why until you explained it to me. I actually believed that, somehow, mystificially, sugar became something else than natural sugar, in an "artificiality" process. I also believed saturated fat would magically clog up my veins, that sugar would give me diabetes, and that salt, and eggs, and white flour, and red meat should be avoided as much as possible. We can't avoid all that and still have a good diet.

Well, thanks, and I think we have generally similar approaches to nutrition (I usually love the advice you give). The difference is just in how well we think the gov't communicates it, and that depends on the sources you look to, I suppose. I don't think MyPlate is perfect, but I think it's pretty good, and I don't think it is responsible for the kinds of messed up ideas people often get about food -- instead, I think if people were more influenced by it (and similar sites) and less by the diet industry idiocy (which IS all "never eat this and magically lose weight" where "this" depends on who you ask) we'd be better off.

But I'm happy to agree to disagree, I just sometimes want to say that I really don't think the gov't is the problem here. (I also don't think that they don't teach about calories -- I think calories are discussed with most mainstream dietary advice and certainly any respectable RD will say they are what control weight loss, but the idea that most may struggle with counting and do better focusing on dietary changes that result in lower calories is IMO not crazy. If I were teaching a nutrition and weight class I'd certainly start by explaining calories, though!)

What I see as the MyPlate approach is to say that calories matter for weight and nutrition also matters for health and that food choice can help with both. Because many people aren't going to log their foods and have no idea what a good calorie range is or how that translates into a diet (hard to believe, IMO, but true), it helps you figure a calorie goal and then suggests a way to eat a nutritious diet within that goal with sizes/amounts of foods. Like you, I don't prefer that approach to learning the same thing through logging, but I can see how it's helpful and in the mentality of it it just doesn't strike me as that different.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Cbestinme wrote: »

It can't, as that's not on food labels yet (in the US anyway). I expect it will in the future.
    I'm trying to count my carbs and sugars daily and I look at my sugar counts that are higher then I want them to be but a lot of the sugars are natural from fruits and such which are "okay sugars". So does anyone subtract their natural sugar count from their total daily sugars? Or do you up the daily intake of suggested surfaces (26g) to include natural sugars.

I don't count sugar specifically, but I at first (and occasionally when I'm logging) look over my sugars to see how much added sugar I'm getting. Since I don't eat much packaged stuff it's pretty obvious -- sugars from whole foods, not added. Sugar from ice cream, added.

I don't know where you got 26 g -- the lowest sugar goal you should get is 45 g, as MFP's goal is 15% of total calories. But I would say rather than count sugar the following strikes me as a better way to make sure you have a healthy balanced diet:

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?
    (5) Maybe glance through the day and make sure you aren't getting lots of sugar from unexpected sources or eating lots of low nutrient foods -- but if you've done 1-4 that's very unlikely.

I think 26 g in OP question sounds close to 24 or 25 g that I've seen mentioned somewhere.

In mfp tool, I noticed I could change my sugar grams grams to 24, 25, 26 etc ie whatever I choose that suits my body.

MFP allows 15% of the calories as sugar and 1200 calories is the minimum.
    15% of 1200 is 180 and at 4 calories per gram...that equals 45gr.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Thanks to MFP I stopped worrying about fat, too. I just watch my portion sizes.

Cream of wheat is heavenly with a little half-and-half, raisins, and a touch of brown sugar (Splenda brown sugar blend).

That breakfast sustained me all morning.

And I've lost over five pounds in the last couple months. I credit it to a new job that involves a lot of stairs, and no ready access to my kitchen pantry.

I still loves all the foods.

Though my comfort foods circulate around the savoury. Give me an aged cheese bite any day.

The little snack size canning jars help with portioning.
  • Cbestinme
    Hornsby wrote: »

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Ok thanks, it's these percentages that always throw me off. :)

So, in mfp goals, just so OP or anyone who wants to know, you can manually change grams of sugar that you want to consume each day.

If you choose 26 g, then mfp will add all the sugar from all your foods, if you go over 26g it let's you know.

• lemurcat12

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Hornsby answered this, but as I also said in my comment that you were responding to, MFP's goal is for ALL sugar, and is 15% of total calories. As the lowest calorie goal it gives is 1200, the lowest sugar goal it gives is 15% (you can change it manually).

25 g is based on ADDED sugar only (which MFP doesn't have a goal from, since it can't separate the two) and is roughly based on 5% of total calories (the NHS or lower WHO goal) for someone who consumes 2000 calories. It's not supposed to be total sugar or set in stone regardless of calories, which people seem to often misunderstand.

Is that clear?
  • lemurcat12

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

So, in mfp goals, just so OP or anyone who wants to know, you can manually change grams of sugar that you want to consume each day.

If you choose 26 g, then mfp will add all the sugar from all your foods, if you go over 26g it let's you know.

Yes, the MFP goal is ALL sugar. Most people would have no reason to choose 26. OP either manually added it, is using an old version of the MFP app, or has an extremely low (and not recommended) calorie goal.
  • cwolfman13
    Sounds like everyone on this thread has found what works for them! I'm not here to try to tell others to eat refined or natural sugar or educate you and i apologize if it came across that way. I was saying what has worked for me and others. Clearly everyone else on this specific thread can eat sugar in moderation and it works well and you are all within normal weight range...I apologize to the original poser that we have taken over your post so rudely.

I eat a substantively whole foods diet and eat very little in the way of added sugars...certainly well below the WHO's recommendation...but the point people are trying to make is that sugar is sugar and your body doesn't differentiate...if you ate 100s of grams of sugar everyday from fruit it would be just as bad for you because your body is going to treat it exactly the same...it's why diabetics can't eat a lot of fruit.
  • janicelo1971
    janicelo1971 Posts: 823 Member
    I agree... :) Peace to all
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I eat a substantively whole foods diet and eat very little in the way of added sugars...certainly well below the WHO's recommendation...but the point people are trying to make is that sugar is sugar and your body doesn't differentiate...if you ate 100s of grams of sugar everyday from fruit it would be just as bad for you because your body is going to treat it exactly the same...it's why diabetics can't eat a lot of fruit.

• Cbestinme

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Hornsby answered this, but as I also said in my comment that you were responding to, MFP's goal is for ALL sugar, and is 15% of total calories. As the lowest calorie goal it gives is 1200, the lowest sugar goal it gives is 15% (you can change it manually).

25 g is based on ADDED sugar only (which MFP doesn't have a goal from, since it can't separate the two) and is roughly based on 5% of total calories (the NHS or lower WHO goal) for someone who consumes 2000 calories. It's not supposed to be total sugar or set in stone regardless of calories, which people seem to often misunderstand.

Is that clear?

Thanks for this as well, especially explainin 5% of total calories, this is very helpful.

So if I understand, the "recommendation" is that my sugar (from ADDED sugar sources) should be no more than 5% of total calories ?

So if I understand, and I'm eating 1600 caliries, then I can eat up to 80 grams of ADDED sugar? Whoa! So 80 grams ADDED plus X grams from naturally sweet sources?

Is my understanding correct?

If so, for my body, my personal choice is to eat way fewer than 80 grams of sugar on a single given day.

So to make mfp tool useful for my personal purpose, I manually change the daily grams of sugar (tab where you change your mfp goals) to a goal that suits me, per my personal choices.

So the point I was making earlier, for OP or anyone who wants to, is it is feasible to change the daily grams of sugar to the number that suits that individual.

Out of curiosity are folks eating 80 grams of sugar or more daily, just curious.
  • Hornsby
    No, you can eat 80 calories, which would be 20 grams.
  • Cbestinme

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Yes, the MFP goal is ALL sugar. Most people would have no reason to choose 26. OP either manually added it, is using an old version of the MFP app, or has an extremely low (and not recommended) calorie goal.

I eat 1600 calories and have no problem to manually choose 26 grams of total sugar.

It's like saying 2300 mg of sodium is "allowed". However if I want to manually choose 1500 mg as my limit, there really is no problem

I don't understand why it seems that folks would debate me on my choices, rather then advise me particularly when I'm asking how to do something really harmless to myself and others. It may turn out to be really beneficial.
  • Cbestinme
    No, you can eat 80 calories, which would be 20 grams.

Oh ok, lol, thanks for explaning yet again.

First the percentages throw me off, then the switch from caliries to grams.

So for 1600 calories,
    5%, 80 calories, about 21.3 grams of ADDED sugar?
    Plus whatever (unlimited?) amount of natural sugars?

Ok, good to know, thanks for explaning
  • cwolfman13

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

Thanks for this as well, especially explainin 5% of total calories, this is very helpful.

So if I understand, the "recommendation" is that my sugar (from ADDED sugar sources) should be no more than 5% of total calories ?

So if I understand, and I'm eating 1600 caliries, then I can eat up to 80 grams of ADDED sugar? Whoa! So 80 grams ADDED plus X grams from naturally sweet sources?

If so, for my body, my personal choice is to eat way fewer than 80 grams of sugar on a single given day.

So to make mfp tool useful for my personal purpose, I manually change the daily grams of sugar (tab where you change your mfp goals) to a goal that suits me, per my personal choices.

So the point I was making earlier, for OP or anyone who wants to, is it is feasible to change the daily grams of sugar to the number that suits that individual.

Out of curiosity are folks eating 80 grams of sugar or more daily, just curious.

Yes...mostly fruit and veg
  • Hornsby
    Sugar is 4 calories per gram so 80/4 = 20.

Note: this is just the WHO's recommendation and is based on many added sugar products being calorie bombs because of the fat. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with their recommendations. Just giving you the numbers.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

I never pay attention to my sugar intake but I'm curious about this too-just added the sugar tracking option back onto to my account and here's my stats from today and Thursday-the two days I've tracked on MFP this week and have actual macros breakdowns:

Thursday calorie intake: 1,671
    sugar intake: 70 grams
    -I had a serving of cookies and 2 servings of light hot cocoa mix on this day, but the thing that had the most sugar was actually 2 servings of tomato soup, which had 30g of sugar

Today's calorie intake will be 1,665
    sugar intake: 90 grams
    -biggest amounts of sugar coming from a Healthy Choice Pineapple Chicken frozen entree (21g), 2 pkts of peach flavored instant oatmeal (26g), and then a banana which I'm adding to the oatmeal (15g). But, I guess I subtract the banana sugar grams since that's 'good' sugar? So then would my intake for today be 75g? What about the sugar in veggies? That's a few grams there as well for both days.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited December 2016

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

I often go over 80 grams. I consume a lot of dairy and sometimes multiple servings of fruit so it adds up. My diet is also heavy in vegetables, grains and legumes. For example: if I have a cup of green peas, that's 10 grams of sugar right there. An average sweet onion has 7 grams of sugar and a very small bunch of baby carrots has 5. I love chickpeas and they have more than 10 grams of sugar in 100 grams of dried chickpeas... and so on. A heavily plant-based diet is bound to be high in sugar even if you don't add plain sugar or sweets, especially if there is also dairy (a cup of plain milk or yogurt has 10-15 grams of sugar).
  • Cbestinme

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

I never pay attention to my sugar intake but I'm curious about this too-just added the sugar tracking option back onto to my account and here's my stats from today and Thursday-the two days I've tracked on MFP this week and have actual macros breakdowns:

-I had a serving of cookies and 2 servings of light hot cocoa mix on this day, but the thing that had the most sugar was actually 2 servings of tomato soup, which had 30g of sugar

-biggest amounts of sugar coming from a Healthy Choice Pineapple Chicken frozen entree (21g), 2 pkts of peach flavored instant oatmeal (26g), and then a banana which I'm adding to the oatmeal (15g). But, I guess I subtract the banana sugar grams since that's 'good' sugar? So then would my intake for today be 85g? What about the sugar in veggies? That's a few grams there as well for both days.

Awesome thanks for sharing this very insightful

Is the tomato soup homemade, or from can, if latter perhaps they added sugar?

Lol @ good sugar (good sugar? Vs bad sugar? Lol) lol

This is big insight thanks for sharing.

So when I eat oatmeal, I use unsweetened milk, and add berries (can't remember how much sugar each), but the meal has about 12g or so. This is perhaps a change in my palate from reducing sweet things over time, not sure.

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

-biggest amounts of sugar coming from a Healthy Choice Pineapple Chicken frozen entree (21g), 2 pkts of peach flavored instant oatmeal (26g), and then a banana which I'm adding to the oatmeal (15g). But, I guess I subtract the banana sugar grams since that's 'good' sugar? So then would my intake for today be 85g? What about the sugar in veggies? That's a few grams there as well for both days.

So when I eat oatmeal, I use unsweetened milk, and add berries (can't remember how much sugar each), but the meal has about 12g or so. This is perhaps a change in my palate from reducing sweet things over time, not sure.

The soup is in a can- Cambpell's Home Style Harvest Tomato with Basil. It does have sugar in the ingredient list, but towards the end, so I wonder if it's mostly because of the tomatoes? The oatmeal I eat is just flavored packets (I usually eat two packets at a time), I make it with water but then add 1/4 cup of 2% milk on top of it after it's cooked, the milk sugar is separate from what the oatmeal has.

It is kind of interesting to see what has a lot of sugar/what doesn't-the frozen entree that I ate today surprised me, but that makes sense since it has a pineapple sauce :)
  • Cbestinme

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

The soup is in a can- Cambpell's Home Style Harvest Tomato with Basil. It does have sugar in the ingredient list, but towards the end, so I wonder if it's mostly because of the tomatoes? The oatmeal I eat is just flavored packets (I usually eat two packets at a time), I make it with water but then add 1/4 cup of 2% milk on top of it after it's cooked.

It is kind of interesting to see what has a lot of sugar/what doesn't-the frozen entree that I ate today surprised me, but that makes sense since it has a pineapple sauce :)

Yes it does help to know where there sugar is from, if one is interested or curious

So I looked also went looking into my diary,
    I had a day of 1895 calories, 51 g of sugar (mostly from cookies )
    A more "regular" day of about 1650 calories, was 26 g of sugar, mostly from natural sources
  • lemurcat12

(1) Enough protein?
    (2) Lots of vegetables?

Is that clear?

Well, that's the recommendation of the WHO (they say less than 10%, but less than 5% if you can might be even better) and the NHS. But remember the reason isn't that added sugar itself is any different from intrinsic sugar or that eating more than this amount of sugar is bad for your health, but that added sugar tends to come with extra calories and not much nutrition -- especially since it's typically in dessert-type products that also have lots of extra fat or soda -- and thus will contribute excess calories.

I'd look at the back and forth between me and kommodevaran up-thread, because she's right in criticizing this focus on specific numbers and worrying about them rather than how to eat an overall good, balanced diet.

No, if you want to follow the 5% recommendation (USDG say 10%), then you'd consume no more than 80 CALORIES from added sugar, or 20 g.

Sugar, or added sugar. If you want to eat "way fewer" than 20 g (the recommended) of added sugar, let alone TOTAL sugar, that's cool -- like I said, I cut out added sugar for a month, although I ate way more than 20 g of sugar most days, because vegetables, fruits, dairy, sweet potatoes, corn, beets, etc. -- but there is no nutritional recommendation that would say that's necessary or more healthy for most people.

Yep, of course you can do this.

Not sure why you think this is relevant to the thread? Just confused what the point is.

But if you were concerned that people didn't know you could manually change the goals, you have now clarified that.

I think OP was concerned that the goal she was getting from MFP represented a total of sugar (ALL sugar) that she needed to aim for, and that's why I noted that the number she was getting was messed up (and doesn't reflect the guidelines on added sugar anyway).

Not normally, no, but I often get around 40 g or so from vegetables, so if I add in some fruit and dairy and have sweet potatoes or some such or have something with added sugar, I suppose I could. Not normally, though. Around Christmas I might sometimes.

Depends on total calories, though -- I've mostly been eating at maintenance.