Replacing back squat with front squat as my primary leg exercise?

2»

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    I do both. For heavy power days I do high bar squats, then for high volume hypertrophy days I do front squats. I prefer high bar since no matter what I always end up with a pain in my collar bone. Never suffered any sort of knee problems with either though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    I have to stick with back squats. Front squats are HELL on my wrists.

I don't hold the bar at all- I broke my left arm as a child and the set the bones completely fkered up- so it's almost impossible for me to actually do front squats with the "traditional" positioning for more than 1-5 reps- and I can't do them at all heavy- or for high reps. I do cross grip- but mostly since I'm high rep- eventually my shoulders give out so now I just don't told the bar and hold my hands out in front of my face.
  • jessef593
    JoRocka wrote: »

I don't hold the bar at all- I broke my left arm as a child and the set the bones completely fkered up- so it's almost impossible for me to actually do front squats with the "traditional" positioning for more than 1-5 reps- and I can't do them at all heavy- or for high reps. I do cross grip- but mostly since I'm high rep- eventually my shoulders give out so now I just don't told the bar and hold my hands out in front of my face.

I used to do that but eventually became tired of always having to deal with form police saying "well that's not how Olympic lifters do it"
  • JoRocka
    jessef593 wrote: »

I used to do that but eventually became tired of always having to deal with form police saying "well that's not how Olympic lifters do it"

I can't ever here them over the sound of how awesome I am- so it never bothers me.

who the *kitten* comes and critisizes someone doing NO HANDED FRONT SQUATS.
    #stabby
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member

I can't ever here them over the sound of how awesome I am- so it never bothers me.

#stabby

The oly coach actually got me doing my warm up sets without holding on. Something about control and body position.
  • jessef593

#stabby

Just out of curiosity after seeing your stats on your lifts, how long have you been lifting for? They were pretty damn impressive.

• JoRocka

#stabby

The oly coach actually got me doing my warm up sets without holding on. Something about control and body position.

I actually don't mind it- I mean- it's hard AF- but I like the challenge.

#stabby

Just out of curiosity after seeing your stats on your lifts, how long have you been lifting for? They were pretty damn impressive.

almost 2 decades- I started lifting heavy things when I was a kid (horse ranch)- and high school included weight training for the off season of cross country- I was introduced formally to oly/power lifting in college- but actual weight lifting and developing of strength began when I was a child. I'm fortunate my family never tried to make me "look" a certain way- or make me "stop doing" those things. I love lifting- I always have.

The words "raging lady lifter boner" actually crossed my lips yesterday- because I get THAT kind of excited about lifting. just- so awesome. I LOVE lifting.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 17,357 Member
    edited December 2016
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    I do fronts because I can't get the back squat form right. My upper arm feels like I am twisting it in an unnatural position. I do other exercises to target the back of my legs so I hope I am getting the right balance.

Same here. My upper arms really hurt (I think it may be flexibility). Plus the fact that my right shoulder has about 95% of its mobility back after a long stretch of adhesive capsulitis, but I still can't do back squats (just tried the bar alone) without pain in the right upper arm. I am having trouble trying to do front squats even with little weight - it feels like my quads are about to get ripped into two pieces well before my knees bend enough to reach parallel. I was using a broomstick just to get my arms and wrists into the right form.

ETA: I don't have trouble doing goblet squats though.
  • jessef593

#stabby

I actually don't mind it- I mean- it's hard AF- but I like the challenge.

#stabby

almost 2 decades- I started lifting heavy things when I was a kid (horse ranch)- and high school included weight training for the off season of cross country- I was introduced formally to oly/power lifting in college- but actual weight lifting and developing of strength began when I was a child. I'm fortunate my family never tried to make me "look" a certain way- or make me "stop doing" those things. I love lifting- I always have.

The words "raging lady lifter boner" actually crossed my lips yesterday- because I get THAT kind of excited about lifting. just- so awesome. I LOVE lifting.

That's pretty sweet, I know the feeling you're talking about. You wake up in the morning and the first thing you think about is hopping into a power rack that day when you're done work.

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member

So turn so you're facing them. Do your squats that way, but with middle fingers raised.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Russian/ Cossack dance anyone?