Getting back to the gym

Options
So last night I started going back to the gym after a week of being sick and very lazy. First I did the treadmill then the elíptical. Afterwards I decided to hit the machines. Did a few machines for legs and then I started doing arms. Some guy come up to me and was like "Woa! What are you doing ? You don't have a routine!?!?!"
So all and all I realized I have to work out one only one part of my body every time I go to the gym. But I just get so bored doing that. I like being spontaneous! Any suggestions ?

Replies

• ajwcyclist2016
    ajwcyclist2016 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    No suggestions , but pick an area you feel week on for 3 weeks have an easy week . Then move on to another area
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,363 Member
    Options
    Who said you you have to work only one part of your body when you go to the gym?

There are numerous routines/splits over a number of days, but it isn't necessary just to exercise one part in one session. There are plenty of routines that cover upper and lower in one session.
  • DaisukeYuki
    DaisukeYuki Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm somewhat at a loss why some random person would come up and tell you what/ what not to do personally. It seems a tad overbearing and presumptuous to assume a stranger doesn't know what they're doing.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to move around, get sweaty, and breathe harder, do what you're doing. If you're looking to get stronger, look at Starting Strength, Stronglifts, and/or The New Rules of Lifting for Women (SS, SL, and NROLFW respectively).
  • AndrewD315
    AndrewD315 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Routines work well for some people. I prefer a flexible workout that allows me to mix it up when I'm in the mood or not. I still know what needs to be worked on and what I haven't worked on, so I get to it in time just a little less rigidly. I know a good strict routine, done well, should bring quicker, better results, but may not be for all of us and I only compete with myself. Oh and dude would do better, himself, paying more attention to his own plan!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What are your objectives?

And what has rando gym-dude got to do with you?
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I would have told dude to mind his damn business.
  • Jim_i25
    Jim_i25 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would have told dude to mind his damn business.

This - I do similar to you. Cardio to get heart rate moving, then resistance machines to finish off.
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Does this guy have any affiliation with the gym other than being a member, and did you pay him a fee to tell you how to work out?

if no, call him Felicia and tell him Bye. ;)
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    What are your objectives?

And what has rando gym-dude got to do with you?

This. Do you have certain goals? Is what you are currently doing helping you reach those goals? If the answer is yes, keep on keeping on. If no, a structured lifting program is probably going to help you get what you want out of your workout. Stronglifts 5X5 is simple, only 5 lifts, and takes about 45 minutes 3 times a week. It leaves plenty of time for your cardio. It gives awesome results, too. You can check it out at Stronglifts.com and download the app that you can use to track your progress at the gym. (I <3 Stronglifts, if you couldn't tell. LOL)
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I agree with pretty much everything here. I HATE routine. Some people just use routine because they are too lazy to to come up with something creative. This is the very reason I do crossfit. I have no aspirations of becoming an "athlete", nor do I expect to be referred to as one. But the variance I get this type of workout keeps it fun and interesting. I've done the whole "chest, tris, abs on monday, back, bi's legs on tuesday, wednesday cardio...blah blah blah...but it gets old after about 2 weeks, because you start to have those "favorite" days, which makes the other days seem even more mundane. Mix it up, keep it fun, as long as you are moving and exerting effort...who cares?