Do you drink anything with your meals?

Options
oat_bran
oat_bran Posts: 370 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
Do you personally find it's a good idea to drink along with your meals?

I really like black tea so I got into a habit of drinking a cup of it with milk with or right after my meals, especially breakfast and lunch. Since it's hot and increases the volume of the meal, it bring the feeling of satiety faster. But at the same time, I'm afraid that the habit of drinking it with my meals prevents me from feeling the real hunger and increases the volume of food I need to feel satiated. Especially because I often experience the sudden hunger an hour or two after my meals. As if the water passes through my stomach and what's left in it, is much lesser volume and I get suddenly hungry because of it? I also noticed that now I have a very hard time feeling any satiation after small volume meals or a snack unless I wash it down with a lot of water or tea. So I was thinking maybe it could be a good idea to stop drinking much with my meals and hope that after a while my stomach would adjust to smaller volume and I would feel full after a smaller volume of food?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I've always had something to drink with my meals ... always ... right from birth. I can't imagine not drinking something with my meals.

Drinking with my meals has had no effect on my hunger or weight. I rarely drink my calories, and haven't done since I was a teenager. And if anything drinking helps fill me up.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    Growing up, it was mandatory to have water and bread with our food. I don't eat bread anymore, but always have water in front of me.
  • JustMissTracy
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've always had something to drink with my meals ... always ... right from birth. I can't imagine not drinking something with my meals.

Drinking with my meals has had no effect on my hunger or weight. I rarely drink my calories, and haven't done since I was a teenager. And if anything drinking helps fill me up.

I have a field in my diary for beverages...on an average day, I drink more than 500 calories...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I always drink either a diet soda or water with meals/snacks.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Either coke zero or water with anything I eat.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options

I have a field in my diary for beverages...on an average day, I drink more than 500 calories...

I drink black coffee, various teas without sugar or milk, diet coke, and water ... that's it! :) And that's what I have drunk since I was about 18 years old.

I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant when I was about 18, so no milk or milk products ... although I will use a bit of almond milk on cereal on rare occasions.

Somewhere about 18 I realised that fruit juice was just empty calories, and stopped drinking that ... except on the day after really, really long bicycle rides. The day after really, really long bicycle rides I crave 100% pure orange juice ... possibly the vit C and potassium.

And I don't drink alcohol.

My personal preference is to eat the calories rather than drink them.

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Some people say you should try drinking a glass of water before your meal to help fill out the space. I don't know if this really works as I've not tried it.
  • JustMissTracy
    Options

I drink black coffee, various teas without sugar or milk, diet coke, and water ... that's it! :) And that's what I have drunk since I was about 18 years old.

I was diagnosed as lactose intolerant when I was about 18, so no milk or milk products ... although I will use a bit of almond milk on cereal on rare occasions.

Somewhere about 18 I realised that fruit juice was just empty calories, and stopped drinking that ... except on the day after really, really long bicycle rides. The day after really, really long bicycle rides I crave 100% pure orange juice ... possibly the vit C and potassium.

And I don't drink alcohol.

My personal preference is to eat the calories rather than drink them.

I totally hear that! I make my bevvies fit my calorie goals, but I do sometimes wonder, how skinny I'd be if I didn't have my daily French Vanilla Capuccino (300 cals) ?!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I drink water with my meals, sometimes a cup of tea - it depends what I'm eating really.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I have a bottle of water with every meal and every snack. With lunch and dinner I add a crystal light packet to it to keep me from looking for something sweet after I eat.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Water and/or black coffee at every meal for me. Sometimes a beer or wine also, except at breakfast. When i need booze at breakfast it is either jim beam or gin.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I drink water with most meals. Sometimes unsweetened tea.
    I have always had something to drink with meals. I get hungrier sooner if I eat less protein and fat during my meals. I get hungry every 3-5 hours regardless of what I eat or drink.
    I'd look at the kind of food you are eating if you are feeling unsatisfied and change up the amount of protein, fats and fiber until you feel more satisfied.
  • everher
    everher Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you're confusing hunger with thirst or you aren't eating enough or you need to work on your macros.

Drinking tea with your meals shouldn't affect your feeling of satiety.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Mostly water here. Occasionally I'll have a glass of milk instead but I would say about 98% water.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I drink water with every single meal I eat. As well as that I drink a protein shake with 2 of my meals.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Always. In general - tea for (or occasionally with) breakfast, water with lunch, wine with dinner.
  • TrynaGetHealthy2017
    Options
    water or a diet drink...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Do you personally find it's a good idea to drink along with your meals?

I really like black tea so I got into a habit of drinking a cup of it with milk with or right after my meals, especially breakfast and lunch. Since it's hot and increases the volume of the meal, it bring the feeling of satiety faster. But at the same time, I'm afraid that the habit of drinking it with my meals prevents me from feeling the real hunger and increases the volume of food I need to feel satiated. Especially because I often experience the sudden hunger an hour or two after my meals. As if the water passes through my stomach and what's left in it, is much lesser volume and I get suddenly hungry because of it? I also noticed that now I have a very hard time feeling any satiation after small volume meals or a snack unless I wash it down with a lot of water or tea. So I was thinking maybe it could be a good idea to stop drinking much with my meals and hope that after a while my stomach would adjust to smaller volume and I would feel full after a smaller volume of food?

Maybe you are not eating enough. How much of a deficit are you eating in general and how much do you have to lose?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,566 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi and water. Sometimes Gatorade G2, but that's only if I feel my electrolytes need replenishing at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

This, usually water. I simply cannot eat without something to drink too, it seems unpleasant to me.