Medications and weight loss

Options
I was wondering at what point do you talk to your physician about stopping meds? I'm currently taking blood pressure medication and I'm hoping that after I lose a little more weight I may be able to get off them. I'm haven't really been keeping my Dr. up to date on the fact that I'm trying to lose weight. She suggested it a few months back, but I only started a month ago. So has anyone lost, and got off blood pressure meds? How does that work, how will they know that my body can do it on its own without the meds?

Replies

• alexrenner2013
    alexrenner2013 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I didn't have blood pressure meds but I had anti depressants which can make doctors weary of letting you off the hook. id just say "Hey I don't want these" bc if ur at a pace of weight loss where u can loose lbs faster, the medication wouldn't be necessary and it takes awhile to get out of your system, allowing for a break. id try getting off for a month w permission and then re continueing them if needed
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    While I wasn't diagnosed with high blood pressure, I've come off a number of meds (and a CPAP for sleep apnea) since losing weight. In most cases blood work or other medical metrics usually showed that it was justified. Just last week I was in for a checkup and my doc decided that my resting heart rate and BP were a bit low, so I'm tapering off the beta blocker I've been on for the last year. The doc was thinking that all the exercise I've been doing in conjunction with the beta blocker probably dropped my heart rate to where it didn't need to be.

So it'll depend on what's happening with your BP when you go in for checkups, I would think. You're definitely moving in the right direction, though, so keep up the great work and my guess is you'll see the results not just on the scale but in your BP as well. Best of luck!
  • mabedrick
    mabedrick Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It is fairly easy to tell when you need to come off BP meds. Monitor your BP and when it drops go talk to your Dr. about reducing/eliminating your dose.