The Biggest Loser Challenge at Work

Options
Hi All!

I used to use MFP regularly. It's been a few years since those days of consistent logging. I'm hoping to start doing this again, and hopefully, The Biggest Loser Challenge will help me stay motivated.

As the HR Assistant at my company, I've taken it upon myself to launch our 2017 health initiatives with The Biggest Loser Challenge! It'll be a 12-week program and I currently have about 27 participants signed up :)

I'm wondering if any of you have done something like this before, and/or have any suggestions for ways to keep people motivated for 3 months! I have quite a list of expenses accounting for several prize opportunities. I have prizes, incentives, challenges, and guest speakers lined up but I'm looking for a few more low cost ideas!!! Let me tell you what I have so far:

!. $30 to play (this will make up the prize pot (my company will match)
2. Weigh-in every Friday (goes by % of your weight lost)
3. Bi-weekly award for the 2 prior week's "biggest loser"
4. Challenges throughout the month and other raffle entry opportunities for a month-end raffle drawing for a great prize
5. Seminars on health and wellness, working out and nutrition
6. Classes on-site (yoga, zumba, etc.)

The prizes, classes, and seminars are quite expensive. I'm looking for any other ideas (especially challenges: I have a "drink 2 liters" challenge, plank challenge, and possibly and pedometer related challenge). ALL ideas for ANYTHING welcome!

I even created a cute email newsletter template that will go out every Monday with articles/blurbs and info for the week, plus a "fun fact friday" email to dispense little bits of knowledge on health and wellness! We have a run that is optional for people toward the end of the 3 months as well. We'll be giving out shirts with our unique design.

Let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My suggestion: cancel it. It seems - and there's been a few here on the MFP forums - that many people end up doing really stupid (aka: harmful, not healthful) things to try to win a contest, because they're ignorant of basic health.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I agree with Troberts, this is not a good idea. Water drinking challenges are a bad idea too.
  • swagoner94
    swagoner94 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    My suggestion: cancel it. It seems - and there's been a few here on the MFP forums - that many people end up doing really stupid (aka: harmful, not healthful) things to try to win a contest, because they're ignorant of basic health.
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I agree with Troberts, this is not a good idea. Water drinking challenges are a bad idea too.

Well that was incredibly discouraging and not that kind of input I was seeking. I've heard of many successful office ones. Plus, we'll be dispensing so much information and bringing in professionals to talk about doing it the healthy way. The water drinking challenge isn't what you may think. THey have an entire day to drink 2 liters of water (which is what you should drink in a day...)
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    If anything, maybe you should switch it from a challenge to just a support group. Keep the on site classes and seminars for people to learn new things and to exercise some work stress off. It makes me think of how a lot of Japanese companies have general assembly exercises where everyone just comes and does a workout for 30 minutes. It's supposed to increase work productivity too. I know some companies stateside, if you prove you workout during lunch or something you get rewarded that way (be it monetary etc). Maybe your company might consider that instead. That way it's long running instead of just how long the contest was supposed to run.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    Savyna wrote: »
    If anything, maybe you should switch it from a challenge to just a support group. Keep the on site classes and seminars for people to learn new things and to exercise some work stress off. It makes me think of how a lot of Japanese companies have general assembly exercises where everyone just comes and does a workout for 30 minutes. It's supposed to increase work productivity too. I know some companies stateside, if you prove you workout during lunch or something you get rewarded that way (be it monetary etc). Maybe your company might consider that instead. That way it's long running instead of just how long the contest was supposed to run.

it's 3 months. I'm at the point where cancelling this or changing it is not an option. If the next comment could be even a pinch of encouraging, that'd be great.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I loathe this type of challenge. Many people who need to lose will do dumb things to win and then their weight will likely rebound. I've also seen fit people carb up big time to gain weight for the first weigh in so they can shed it and win the prizes. Overall I think Biggest Loser competitions are completely unhealthy and unhelpful.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Not trying to be discouraging but contests really don't do anything. After the contest, have people really learned anything? I like the fact you have professionals coming to speak to your employee, this, I think, is a great idea. Teach people how to fish, so to speak.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I loathe this type of challenge. Many people who need to lose will do dumb things to win and then their weight will likely rebound. I've also seen fit people carb up big time to gain weight for the first weigh in so they can shed it and win the prizes. Overall I think Biggest Loser competitions are completely unhealthy and unhelpful.

I think your comment was completely unhelpful. Like I said, I'm beyond cancelling the challenge. For a "motivation and support" category, this is ridiculous. I'm not cancelling so if you have a helpful suggestion of how to avoid promoting unhealthy strategies, that'd be great. Thanks.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    swagoner94 wrote: »
    Savyna wrote: »

it's 3 months. I'm at the point where cancelling this or changing it is not an option. If the next comment could be even a pinch of encouraging, that'd be great.

It wasn't to discourage you. I think its great that your company is even willing to do something health conscious for its workers, however I think it would be better for yall in the long run if it wasn't just a challenge, but that it was something more. A lot of people get the idea of winning into their heads and only see the end of it being that they won. Then what? They regain the weight? They just slack off because they won now and there's nothing else to be done?

Some of the things mentioned sound neat, like that newsletter and again the exercise classes and seminars.
    Either way, good luck to you all. Hope it turns out to be a great and healthy contest.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Not trying to be discouraging but contests really don't do anything. After the contest, have people really learned anything? I like the fact you have professionals coming to speak to your employee, this, I think, is a great idea. Teach people how to fish, so to speak.

And it's 3 months long. It take less than 3 months for a habit to be formed. This is chiefly about creating healthy habits and improving health and wellness. We're driving that point throughout. We're starting with a medical healthcare provider coming in to talk about keeping resolutions in a healthy way. We have nutritionists, we have personal trainers.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Wow - all of the negativity on here - not sure I get it.

Sounds like fun, OP.

Fruits/vegetables - get a certain number of servings in a week?
    Sleep is important - get a certain number of hours per night for a week?
    Have a clean eating week - no processed foods? Or you could just make it "no sweets" week?
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Flapjack_Mollases Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    sllm1 wrote: »

Sounds like fun, OP.

Have a clean eating week - no processed foods? Or you could just make it "no sweets" week?

Most of us realize that this does nothing to actually help the people, and in most cases (just like the real biggest loser) the person who wins is right back to where they started within a couple months. If you want to have a REAL competition, have a competition to see who can keep their BF% loss the closest to their actual weight lost. That would be a MUCH healthier challenge. But it's not as "appealing".
  • swagoner94
    Options

Sounds like fun, OP.

I love this! Yes. Just the kind of ideas I was looking for :) Thank you!
  • swagoner94
    Options

Sounds like fun, OP.

Most of us realize that this does nothing to actually help the people, and in most cases (just like the real biggest loser) the person who wins is right back to where they started within a couple months. If you want to have a REAL competition, have a competition to see who can keep their BF% loss the closest to their actual weight lost. That would be a MUCH healthier challenge. But it's not as "appealing".

This isn't a reality show. Nor are my employees obese. Nor am I bootcamp trainer making them do extreme workouts to lose excessive amounts of weight. Geez. It's an OFFICE HEALTH INITIATIVE that focuses on health. Plus, it's % of your own weight lost, not just overall lbs. Ya'll... this is seriously ridiculous. I worked on this closely with a medical healthcare provider... I think they would've advised against it if they thought it was unhealthy.
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    swagoner94 wrote: »

Sounds like fun, OP.

This isn't a reality show. Nor are my employees obese. Nor am I bootcamp trainer making them do extreme workouts to lose excessive amounts of weight. Geez. It's an OFFICE HEALTH INITIATIVE that focuses on health. Plus, it's % of your own weight lost, not just overall lbs. Ya'll... this is seriously ridiculous. I worked on this closely with a medical healthcare provider... I think they would've advised against it if they thought it was unhealthy.

Would they have advised against it? I went to a medical healthcare provider to talk to them about my obesity/weight problems. You know what they did. Put me on diet pills and gave me a 1200 calorie per day diet. Do you think that was sound advice?
  • Flapjack_Mollases
    Options
    Like a poster said above. These competitions create a competitive atmosphere where people (not all, but some) use these hyper-dieting techniques to try to lose as much weight, as fast as possible, and that's not really healthy.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    The YMCA is doing a challenge for number of workouts logged. At the end you get a free tshirt, but at the YMCA everyone is a winner :)

Maybe some organized runs or walks together.
    Or some demonstrations on cooking healthy with free samples handed out.

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Awards (not money) for fruits & vegetable servings, OR exercise/steps.....sounds fun.

"Clean eating".....meh, you would have to provide a definition (there are so many). Sleep is great but some people are going to require less.

I read something funny where a couple high schools had a step challenge for teachers......in both cases the music directors had a huge advantage when wearing a wrist model activity tracker. They didn't cheat.....it took awhile to figure out what the issue was.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It does not focus on health. It focuses on weight loss. Prizes are based on weight lost. You called it a Biggest Loser competition. Cut that out and I'd be fine with it.
  • swagoner94
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    It does not focus on health. It focuses on weight loss. Prizes are based on weight lost. You called it a Biggest Loser competition. Cut that out and I'd be fine with it.

The "Grand Prize" (3 winners) is for weight loss, but there are loads of prizes throughout the program that are not contingent on weight loss.