All you diabetics

Options
I was dxed with T2 at age 33 when I weighed 70lbs heavier. I've lost a lot, I have about 28lbs to the higher end of my healthy BMI. My A1C became non-diabetic a long time ago, despite having spikes. I've been more insulin-resistant than anything based on lab testing proving I make too much. My doc I feel depends too heavily on A1C alone, as some research suspects the spikes are what cause the neuropathy, heart disease, etc.

I've been tracking glucose checks recently. As long as I eat very low carb, I'm okay. But, even 45carbs can send me into the 230s. I do recover within a couple hrs and i tend to eat low carb/Atkins Induction to try to get the last of this weight off. But I'm wondering if it might be time to consider some metformin again. I'm now 42 yrs old and perhaps my good fight is a great fight, but not enough to completely heal my body. I want to be proactive in this & feel my MD isn't considering the big picture (I'm a RN so I know MDs tend to blow off tight control of diabetes) and I want to have tight control.

Replies

• banzai235
    banzai235 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have heard that exercise will also help with the spikes (i.e. right after the high carb meal) have not tracked the results myself, but something to consider. Metformin does not address spikes, but reduces liver release of glucose, still I have noticed that it does appear to have an impact on spikes (and I also heard it is the spikes that damage your body - though I have no data to support that)