TMI Female Issue/Question

Options
About 35 days ago I made a drastic life/diet change. I have lost 26 pounds in those 35 days. My period has always been pretty regular meaning I get it once a month without any issues. I was on my period 2 weeks ago. Skip to today. No energy, backache, headache, gained 3 pounds and guess what?!?!? On my period AGAIN!! What the heck?? Is this normal? Anyone else? P.S. Not pregnant. This is real period. Already checked.

Replies

• kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Fact check this, but I've heard hormones are stored in our fat. When we lose fat quickly, those hormones are released and can screw up some things. I would suggest a check-in with your OBGYN for sure.

On an unrelated note, 26 pounds in 35 days is scary fast. Anything more than 2 pounds lost a week is unhealthy and possibly dangerous.

Agree with the above. Rapid weight loss will affect hormones and cause irregular periods. If it keeps happening, it's possible to become anemic.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - such a rapid weight loss can throw the hormones completely out of wack. I'd try and level off to a more reasonable weight loss.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is most likely due to your rapid weight loss.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I'm going to concur. I don't know the science behind it, but I've experienced this. I was getting a spotty period every three weeks while I was losing 3-4 lbs a week. After losing 30 lbs my body decided it wanted more food and I began eating for losing 2 lbs a week. Then, my regular period showed up at week 4, as is usual for me, with it's typical flow.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    So I've only been on Topamax a few days. I ate 1600 calories a day and walked and did aerobics to lose that weight. I lost the weight in a very healthy way. I was just eating very poorly before so it was a big change.
  • jomariewill
    jomariewill Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input. I think I just shocked my body.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    So I've only been on Topamax a few days. I ate 1600 calories a day and walked and did aerobics to lose that weight. I lost the weight in a very healthy way. I was just eating very poorly before so it was a big change.

Sorry, I was concerned I had you mixed up with someone else. So I changed it and went to look. Although it is an extremely rare side effect, it could be related to the Topamax. Have a discussion with your doctor about it. Sometimes a random one will happen when you are under stress. Others have already mentioned the rapid weight loss as a potential culprit. It would be worth considering the possibilities, and discuss them with your doc.

https://www.drugs.com/pro/topamax.html
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

You are on Topamax? That will totally mess up your periods. When I was on Topamax I didn't get a period for months. So your problems could either be weight loss or Topamax. When I was having no period on Topamax I saw my ob/gyn and everything was fine, but I felt better knowing for sure it was just the med. It's also worth noting that higher doses make the pill ineffective and cause birth defects, so I also switched to an IUD while I was there.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I agree. Talk to which ever dr prescribed the topomax or your gynae.
    As someone posted earlier, it could be related.

The hormonal comments are also reasonable though. Either way, a sudden change in your cycle warrants a check in with the doc.