How long does it take to get really fit?

Options
2»

Replies

• deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My husband, 37 yos currently, was a regular semi-fit guy...started lifting 4+ years ago. He then started training specifically for a powerlifting competition 2.5-3 years ago. He's competed in 2 competitions.

An older, mostly in-shape guy at the gym said to him today: "You look like you could guard the president." Based on this information...I'll estimate 3 years of consistent lifting.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your current physique, the specific things you consider to be "fit", what you want to accomplish, etc.

speaking of aesthetics only, i would say it takes a solid 3 years for most men to *look* fit, then usually more time after this for getting larger with about 5 years being the range that they start seeing diminishing returns.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I will agree with everyone who said it depends on your starting point and how much you put into it.
    I'm a 47 yr old woman who started lifting 3 yrs ago. I didn't get my diet (deficit) in order until a year ago, though. I started lifting 4x/week from 3x and have been very consistent. It took me a year to get what I consider to be "really fit". The 2 previous years when I was eating at maintenance & lifting I probably was building some muscle. I had a good amount to begin with, thanks to 20+ yrs of a physically active job.
    I do feel I am fit & my physical agrees. But, I'm still not 100% happy with my physique. Still working, still tweaking stuff.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    With respect to lifting, rather than compare to people at the gym, here's a slightly different take. I've seen references to the idea that if you maximize your lifting, nutrition and rest, you will see roughly 80 of your muscle growth potential in the first 2 years or so.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Took me 1 year to loose 70 lbs and get fit. And I'm a 30 female. Like they say, it depends on your commitment, what your goals are and so on.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    It depends on your starting point and what you consider to be really fit. In highschool I boxed and played rugby. My cardio was incredible but I wasn't overly strong nor did I look it. Now I completely skip cardio but look much "fitter" than before. I will never be satisfied with my fitness lever for cardio, strength, and ascetics
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    TheDrew85 wrote: »
    Not trying to market anything here but have you looked into those beachbody workouts? beats the crap out of going to the gym lol. I know everyones different in terms of "how long it takes" But I managed to drop 70lbs in about 5 months time. (takes crazy commitment tho)

No one in those beach body ads got their body by actually doing beach body stuff. Those ripped guys have spent YEARS in the gym lifting heavy and eating a very well designed diet, plus just good genetics. I get it that SOME activity, via convenience, is better than none at all. but at that point you're better off just focusing on nailing your diet and dropping weight. Once you've got that routine down, you can pretty easily work the gym into the picture to work on your physique.
  • Fitgirllife72
    Fitgirllife72 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    A lifetime. I started at age 24. I'm 44. Still working on it. There is always room for improvement.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    it all depends on how hard you want to work at it and how long you are willing to do it(as long as it takes), not to mention once you get fit you are going to have to keep doing the same or similar things that got you there to keep you there. you may be happy in a year, you may not. everyone is different so its not a one size fits all type of thing
  • rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all these replies. I'm not really in a rush, if it takes 3 years I'm fine with that. And I know it's really a lifelong process, anyway. I do enjoy it all a lot so I do see myself continuing for 10 years... indefinitely, really.

My main sport is skateboarding, I started in high school and still do it occasionally. The benefits are really a mix of everything: balance, agility, and more cardio than you'd probably guess. Not much upper body strength, and my lower body is much stronger than my upper body. The calorie burn is similar to playing baseball.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Many people are never happy with their appearance or fitness levels. The guys you see in the gym working hard, they are doing that to improve. They are rarely 100% happy with their fitness/appearance or both. They set challenges to improve.

The bolded is extremely accurate. Once you near your goal (whether it is fitness or aesthetic), you will realise that you want more and thus you are chasing an impossible dream.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Many people are never happy with their appearance or fitness levels. The guys you see in the gym working hard, they are doing that to improve. They are rarely 100% happy with their fitness/appearance or both. They set challenges to improve.

The bolded is extremely accurate. Once you near your goal (whether it is fitness or aesthetic), you will realise that you want more and thus you are chasing an impossible dream.

The journey is the rush though. Every time I see any substantial gain, the feeling and satisfaction is awesome.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Idk. How long does it take to get to Pittsburgh? lol. But seriously, I'd give it a year. If not, give it a couple more lol.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    Options
    It took me 6 months to drop 36# from 196 to 160, to reduce my BF% from +20% down to 12% and develop the visible abs and muscle definition that I think makes me look fit. Pretty satisfied w/the way I look now and just want to maintain at this weight & BF level.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    rks581 wrote: »
    I'm 36, male. So I've been working out for about 6-9 months at different levels, sometimes not as much as I'd like due to a death in the family and some difficulty getting to the gym. I do some things at home too. I'm wondering how long it takes to look like the relatively fit guys in the gym... I have the right body type for it and only recently started getting sufficient protein. I'm aware the time will vary depending on lots of factors, and I also have to lose about 20-25 lbs, but I'm determined to keep at this. Just wanting a vague idea of how long it took you to go from regular guy to your current body.

It really depends what your starting point is, along with your genetics and body type. Some people can work out for a month and look ripped. Other people (like myself) work out hard for years, and still don't look as shredded as they "should." Just stay dedicated and compare your progress only to yourself. Don't look at someone else's "middle" and compare to your "beginning."
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Took me 8 months to drop from 257 to 175 on purely cardio. Another 2 years of recomp to drop from around 16-18% to sub 7%.