Dieting without exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If all you're trying to do is lose weight then exercise isn't required. If your goal is to be healthy and feel better then exercise is more important.

People keep saying that and I'm genuinely confused-do you not think people can be healthy and feel good without exercise? That hasn't been my experience at all-I'm in great health and feel fine too, and I don't do any sort of structured exercise.

Back when I first transitioned into maintenance I went through an exercise phase (started running, did some body weight strength training etc). Nothing magical happened and my blood work didn't change at all. It did make it more difficult to stay within my calorie goals though because I was hungrier after exercising. After several months I realized it wasn't really helping anything and I quit. I'm now almost 4 years into maintenance and have no problem hitting my weight and health goals without exercise. Sometimes I really do suspect I may be a special freak snowflake :p

Exercise is good for a lot of things. It reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, it improves the strength of your muscles and bones and these things become more important as you age. It reduces your risk of some cancers.

There is a balance between exercise making you hungry and a healthy level of activity that provides benefit.

This isn't to say that there aren't phases of life where purposeful exercise isn't in the cards for some people, but I'm of the belief, probably because I'm older, that meeting at least the recommended guidelines for activity is a good idea.

And maybe there's some confusion about how people are defining exercise? I'm definitely more active in my day to day activities, than before when I was overweight, but I don't do a structured exercise program/set time aside each day or week to do it. This morning I shoveled my longish driveway with a shovel. I wouldn't call this exercise though, just being more active :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    It depends on what your goal is. If all you're trying to do is lose weight then exercise isn't required. If your goal is to be healthy and feel better then exercise is more important.

People keep saying that and I'm genuinely confused-do you not think people can be healthy and feel good without exercise? That hasn't been my experience at all-I'm in great health and feel fine too, and I don't do any sort of structured exercise.

Back when I first transitioned into maintenance I went through an exercise phase (started running, did some body weight strength training etc). Nothing magical happened and my blood work didn't change at all. It did make it more difficult to stay within my calorie goals though because I was hungrier after exercising. After several months I realized it wasn't really helping anything and I quit. I'm now almost 4 years into maintenance and have no problem hitting my weight and health goals without exercise. Sometimes I really do suspect I may be a special freak snowflake :p

Exercise is good for a lot of things. It reduces your risk of cardiovascular disease, it improves the strength of your muscles and bones and these things become more important as you age. It reduces your risk of some cancers.

There is a balance between exercise making you hungry and a healthy level of activity that provides benefit.

This isn't to say that there aren't phases of life where purposeful exercise isn't in the cards for some people, but I'm of the belief, probably because I'm older, that meeting at least the recommended guidelines for activity is a good idea.

There is a reason that the AHA recommends 150 minutes of light to moderate physical activity per week. I think this is of even greater importance if you're otherwise pretty sedentary...desk job, etc.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

And maybe there's some confusion about how people are defining exercise? I'm definitely more active in my day to day activities, than before when I was overweight, but I don't do a structured exercise program/set time aside each day or week to do it. This morning I shoveled my longish driveway with a shovel. I wouldn't call this exercise though, just being more active :)

Snow shoveling is definitely a workout! (One that I loathe.)

Physical activity does not need to be structured exercise.

• crzycatlady1
    Options

I was definitely loathing it this morning lol!
  • red99ryder
    red99ryder Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I think for some like me . I'm doing all I can just to eat correctly .. trying to add an official exercise program makes things too complicated for ME .. not saying it's bad and maybe in time I will start something official ..

I think the problem comes in when people think they have to exercise and eat healthy to lose weight and that is not the case ..CI verse CO works

Good luck
  • Cbestinme
    Cbestinme Posts: 397 Member
    Options

Curious to hear other things you may be doing that get your body moving (do you walk or cycle to places in warmer weather, maybe garden work, house cleaning etc). It sounds like you me around enough, and don't need a muscular look (if I read correct the hubby appreciates your natural looks) :) congrats you've found what works, (note to self, send future hubby to get advice from crzycatlady hubby)
  • lisaberger1
    lisaberger1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe every workout in Bodyweight Burn is designed to be completed in 21 minutes. Seems to be a good diet for busy people...
    http://dietrev.com/bodyweight-burn-review
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I like food too much to just diet. And I like the feeling I get after a work out. Although I understand not having the energy. I have a 2 month old and as much as I would love to get in the gym every morning at 6:00 am, 4 hours a sleep on a regular basis just doesn't help much with that. Kudos to you though on still sticking to a routine that works for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Dieting without exercise isn't optimal - but life frequently isn't optimal.
    Doing the best you can really is all you can do and losing weight is going to help your health and energy levels.

Enjoy your babies, they grow up too fast!
    My "baby boy" is 25 today. :smile:
  • Jewels_Ka
    Jewels_Ka Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have 4 kids ages 7-2, I can honestly say that exercise is what keeps me sane. I go to the gym, give my kids to the day care and enjoy my work out with no one calling my name all the time. And some times I go to the gym to just sit in the massage chairs LOL... or enjoy sauna. Again, just to enjoy me time. I love exercising. It keeps my mind fresh. BUT to answer your question - its not essential to your weight loss. JUST be good to your self.
  • jmp463
    jmp463 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Dropped almost 60lbs without much exercise. However afterward when I started working out I saw the results very fast.
  • crzycatlady1
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Cbestinme wrote: »

Curious to hear other things you may be doing that get your body moving (do you walk or cycle to places in warmer weather, maybe garden work, house cleaning etc). It sounds like you me around enough, and don't need a muscular look (if I read correct the hubby appreciates your natural looks) :) congrats you've found what works, (note to self, send future hubby to get advice from crzycatlady hubby)

Ha, yeah my husband doesn't like the more defined/toned look-bless his heart lol. I'm a sahm to three kids that do a school program mostly at home, so day to day is housework type stuff. Plus odds and ends like winter shoveling, summer walking with the family etc. Right now we're in the middle of selling our house and moving so packing/lugging stuff up and down stairs etc.

Some days I'm very sedentary and then other days I'm all over the place :) Over the past few years in maintenance I've focused on eating at a calorie intake for 'lightly active', which is around 1,700-1,800 calories. I do add a few pounds by the time winter is over, but it falls off when spring/summer hit, because we're more active outside I think. Also super geeked-the house we're buying has river front property and we're going to buy kayaks next summer, been wanting to do this for years! So that will definitely bump up my activity levels, plus all the renovating we're going to be doing will burn some extra calories too (our new house was built in 1870!).