Facing my first Deload week

Options
I've seen deloading mentioned all over the place, but I always associated it with guys and gals who were crushing it in the gym everyday body building/power lifting. I stumbled across this from Mark's Daily Apple:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-deload-week-what-it-is-how-to-do-it-and-why-it-might-help-you-get-stronger/#axzz2hLHPdKHs

So I was wrong about what a deload is and who should do it, but now I feel like a slacker, and the week has just started what the heck lol.

Do you folks still hit the gym on deload weeks and just keep it light as the author suggests?

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I hate deloading and should do it

I tend to avoid the gym and just walk the dog more ..because if I'm in the gym my mental dialogue will go doolally and I'll end up lifting if the rack is free or just sneaking in a few sets cos it can't hurt can it.

But I do count resting for injury a deload which is wrong I assume

Sometimes I feel I stumble from one concept to another getting them all slightly wrong :)

I'll deload Christmas week
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I hate deloading and should do it

I tend to avoid the gym and just walk the dog more ..because if I'm in the gym my mental dialogue will go doolally and I'll end up lifting if the rack is free or just sneaking in a few sets cos it can't hurt can it.

But I do count resting for injury a deload which is wrong I assume

Sometimes I feel I stumble from one concept to another getting them all slightly wrong
    :)

I'll deload Christmas week
    You've just described my whole journey :D
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I started 5/3/1 three weeks ago and start my first deload week on Tuesday, it's going to be really strange not trying to push that extra rep and working with such light weights but I'm hoping it'll not only help me increase strength for the next cycle but also let me drop some of the 3lb water weight I'm still carrying after last week's heavier sessions.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    I follow the basics of the deload as descried in the the link you posted.

At my age with my progressive joint disease if I don't deload, not only will I not progress in lifting, I will have to take months off from lifting weights, but also normal activities in life such as driving a car or carrying groceries from the car.

I write a deload into my program every twelve days because I lift 340 days a year.

Depending on how my body/joints feels I'll either drop the weight down to 60% of my working weight and keep my reps/sets the same or sometimes just drop the weight to 85% and drop a set.

The key is to find what works for you and your goals.

The great benefit of a deload is you can work on form/cues a great deal without taxing your CNS depending on how you program it. Better form will essentially mean that we will have better lifts at our working weight.

• Cylphin60
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    I started 5/3/1 three weeks ago and start my first deload week on Tuesday, it's going to be really strange not trying to push that extra rep and working with such light weights but I'm hoping it'll not only help me increase strength for the next cycle but also let me drop some of the 3lb water weight I'm still carrying after last week's heavier sessions.

That's what I'm hoping for too. I recently upped my weight and reps together, so it's probably water weight I'm carrying now. Thanks for the tips.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I follow the basics of the deload as descried in the the link you posted.

At my age with my progressive joint disease if I don't deload, not only will I not progress in lifting, I will have to take months off from lifting weights, but also normal activities in life such as driving a car or carrying groceries from the car.

I write a deload into my program every twelve days because I lift 340 days a year.

Depending on how my body/joints feels I'll either drop the weight down to 60% of my working weight and keep my reps/sets the same or sometimes just drop the weight to 85% and drop a set.

The key is to find what works for you and your goals.

The great benefit of a deload is you can work on form/cues a great deal without taxing your CNS depending on how you program it. Better form will essentially mean that we will have better lifts at our working weight.

You're facing a tougher barrier than I am for sure. I have to admit I'm a little embarrassed at not digging into the info a bit more on deloads, but I think you folks are affirming that's what I need to work into my routine. I'm more than familiar with the plateaus, but I just haven't been able to push past this last one.

I think I'll go half the week just resting and stretching/walking etc, and then follow your example with the 60% for the rest of the week and see how that works.

Thanks for the share and tips. :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I can't remember what Mark prescribes for deload. But, there are several ways to do it. I typically cut the weight down to about 50% and do all the required sets and reps. There are other ways of doing it, but that's the method I like.

However, I don't do it on any schedule. I do it when I feel like i need it.

I also allow vacations to be a complete "no workout" zone. It gives me complete relaxation and allows my body to rest once or twice a year.

Deloading feels weird, but it is essential. Do it. You'll feel great at the end of the week, and you'll want to go kill it in the gym.
    That's what I'm hoping for. I'm still a newbie in a lot of ways - I mean, who would have thought there was so much to learn just about lifting weights? lol, but right now I'm planning on every 6 weeks. Time will tell though.

• Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I deload when my coach tells me to. I usually spend the first couple days cranky and grumpy about having to deload but end the week excited to get back to it.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes. I always lift on deload weeks. Usually I'll deload after amping up volume and going into an intensity block or after a good 12 week cycle. It can be a little boring but your body will thank you and you'll feel really fresh starting back again. My coach tends to program my deloads so that the volume is way low, but the weight isn't that light...so I tend to have a little fun still because I see weight on the bar. I'm just gonna hit it for 3 singles instead of 5 doubles or something.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I deload when my coach tells me to. I usually spend the first couple days cranky and grumpy about having to deload but end the week excited to get back to it.

LoL, Yeah I can already see that incoming. :)
  • bbell1985
    Options
    I had to deload my squats for like...6 weeks. Ego crushed. Gotta do it though.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Injury? If you don't mind my asking?
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

One day I was squatting and just not hitting below parallel. I was squatting weight that should have been relatively easy...like 180lbs. But everything felt heavy and uncomfortable. I had not been squatting that high since I was a newb. Even 150lbs was a struggle. I had been going through a lot of stress but this was still happening during a week I had off of work, visiting my parents in the country, stress free. I dunno.

I reduced all training weight to 55-60% my first week and then kept upping it slowly. I finally got back to 190 this week. It was easy and low. Think I'm back in the game.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

One day I was squatting and just not hitting below parallel. I was squatting weight that should have been relatively easy...like 180lbs. But everything felt heavy and uncomfortable. I had not been squatting that high since I was a newb. Even 150lbs was a struggle. I had been going through a lot of stress but this was still happening during a week I had off of work, visiting my parents in the country, stress free. I dunno.

I reduced all training weight to 55-60% my first week and then kept upping it slowly. I finally got back to 190 this week. It was easy and low. Think I'm back in the game.
    Wishing you all the best! And thanks for filling me in on that. What you're describing is very similar to what I was feeling, that led to me searching for answers and finding out more about deloads. You just inspired me.

Cheers :)
  • bbell1985
    Options

Wishing you all the best! And thanks for filling me in on that. What you're describing is very similar to what I was feeling, that led to me searching for answers and finding out more about deloads. You just inspired me.

Cheers to you! Our bodies are not machines. They need extra care hehe.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

Cheers to you! Our bodies are not machines. They need extra care hehe.
    That they do! Thanks :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    For those running 5/3/1, you can deload every two cycles instead of every one, as per Wendler in Beyond 5/3/1. Basically, take it by feel. You would still up your upper body TMs by 5, and lower body TMs by 10 after the third week though. You are just turning the whole thing from 4 weeks to 7, and everything else remains the same.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    For those running 5/3/1, you can deload every two cycles instead of every one, as per Wendler in Beyond 5/3/1. Basically, take it by feel. You would still up your upper body TMs by 5, and lower body TMs by 10 after the third week though. You are just turning the whole thing from 4 weeks to 7, and everything else remains the same.

I don't think Beyond was out back in the day when I ran it. I hated deloading ever 4 weeks. This makes more sense to me.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Do you folks still hit the gym on deload weeks and just keep it light as the author suggests?

i'm doing 5/3/1 so i just follow the basic template. it means doing straight sets of 5 with the same lifts, but at 'ridiculous' low weights compared with the rest of the time. i do relate to the restlessness during total no-lift, so this is working out better for me. i usually feel like i earned it, even though sometimes i'm not totally sure that i did :wink: