Jumping Jacks

Options
Does anyone know the true benefit of Jumping Jacks?

I am doing this work out DVD that has jumping jacks. Although I do not enjoy them,
I am reluctant to avoid them in case they are relevant in weight loss and fitness.

Replies

• grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    They are a total body movement that is decent at getting all of your major muscle groups engaged. It's a good, low stress exercise for warming up. Insanity includes jumping jacks in the warm up as well for that reason.
  • Ainar
    Ainar Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    It's a cardio exercise, like running, walking, swimming, elliptical machine, etc. Nothing more and nothing less. It's simply there to make you burn some calories and/or warm up your body. If you really hate them I suppose you could avoid them and replace them with another type of cardio, like running for example, or cycling. Just make sure that that have same intensity, jumping jacks are pretty intense, at least for me.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. This info helps a lot...
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    good cardio, black eyes and boobs down to your knees if you don't wear a really good bra! :laugh:
  • tvanhooser
    tvanhooser Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Since my bad knee prevents me from doing anything involve jumping (unless I am in water I discovered on vacation!! :o) ), I sub out a marching jack or lateral toe touch jack for anything that involves jumping jacks. So if you really don't want to do the jumping version for any reason --good or bad, try one of these instead. You still move all the body parts and it counts as cardio. Learned these variations off of some Fitness Blender low-impact vids and they work for me. I doubt that weight loss depends on you doing jumping jacks in particular since I am 92 lbs. down and have yet to do a regular jumping jack on dry ground....and have no plans to try. Jumping is overrated in my book anyway...Just my two cents worth.
  • TeresaMarie46
    TeresaMarie46 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    good cardio, black eyes and boobs down to your knees if you don't wear a really good bra! :laugh:

Roflol......Yuppers, and that is EXACTLY why I do not like them. Enough said....lol
    I have also had knee surgery, and it aggravates my knee ,
  • lyndausvi
    lyndausvi Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Ugh, I did the 300 Jumping Jack mini-challenge on Tuesday. Still felling the pain in my knees and hips actually.

That's all I've got.
  • vickiessecret
    vickiessecret Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of jumping jacks in the 30 day shred, it's a good form of cardio, to get your heart rate up :)
  • norahwynn
    norahwynn Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    They are a total body movement that is decent at getting all of your major muscle groups engaged. It's a good, low stress exercise for warming up. Insanity includes jumping jacks in the warm up as well for that reason.

^^this^^