Pop

Options
I am a life long pop drinker. ( Mountain Dew & Coke )
After being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 3 weeks ago, I have cut out pop. I am not drinking water with flavor enhancer drops. I do not feel bloated anymore. Anyone else cut out pop? What do you drink.now?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I never drank that much pop, and switched to diet back in high school when I do, so I never found a reason to "cut it out," but I drink mostly water, coffee (black, but still I love coffee too much), tea, and homemade iced tea (I don't add sugar).
  • hollyrayburn
    hollyrayburn Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have inadvertently stopped drinking sodas. It just kinda happened. I drink plain water, enhanced.water, sparkling water, unsweetened tea, black coffee or coffee with some half and half in it, juice when the calories allow. Occasionally I'll have a diet soda (love me some diet mountain dew!)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Diet soda.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I lost the taste for carbonated beverages several years ago, I'll have a diet coke or something maybe once a week. When I have carbonated beverages, it's often something like a Perrier or San Pellegrino. I didn't intentionally wean myself away from carbonated beverages -- I was never a huge soda drinker, and it just got to the point where I found the bubblies and the burps annoying. I mostly drink water with flavor enhancer drops, coffee, or tea. I use stevia or monkfruit for sweetener. That's about it.

I like the True Citrus products, they're sweetened with Stevia:

http://www.truelemon.com

You can also try making your own flavored waters:

http://www.theyummylife.com/Flavored_Water
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/quick-easy-flavoured-water

• rks581
    rks581 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Diet soda drinker here, too, since high school. My favorite is Coke Zero since it tastes like regular Coke and, if you didn't know, Coca-Cola hit on a brilliant idea by marketing it as Diet Coke for men (since it doesn't have the word "diet" in it). Sometimes people laugh about having a big fast food order with diet pop, but the reality is that a large Coke translates into a large fry or even a sandwich worth of calories.

I've recently discovered adding RealLemon to water (http://www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com/brands/realemon/), though you might be familiar with it and you can get it and RealLime at Walmart or just about anywhere. It comes in large bottles as well as the small lemon-shaped ones. What I like about it is that it's very rich in lemon flavor, such that I don't have any desire to sweeten the drink. I just add enough to taste, after a while you get used to how cloudy you want your drink to appear.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    For a while because it got too expensive $3 per 2L is the base price. I wanted it back and tried diet soda, so now I drink 2 servings a day. What I missed was the carbonation as it helps curb my hunger.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Diet soda.

This. I changed from regular soda to diet when I got my prediabetes diagnosis and started my weight loss phase. Now I'm almost 4 years into maintaining my loss and still drink diet soda :)
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I switched to diet soda 20-25 years ago. I still enjoy it in moderation, along with plenty of other liquids (coffee, water, iced tea, milk, flavored/sparkling water, etc.). Even at maintenance I wouldn't switch back to regular soda because I've gotten used to the taste of diet and now regular soda tastes too sticky/syrupy for me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    For a while because it got too expensive $3 per 2L is the base price. I wanted it back and tried diet soda, so now I drink 2 servings a day. What I missed was the carbonation as it helps curb my hunger.

Crap around us it's seldom over $1 a 2L at Walmart
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've not cut out diet soda - I drink one or two a day.

I love iced tea - I use flavored tea bags - no sweetener. This is great if you find you are missing the caffeine, but herbal teas work too.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I still like fizzy drinks. My go to is unsweetened fruit-flavored seltzers. They are a little harder to find than the ones with artificial sweeteners in them but are getting more common. Trader Joe's has them. A couple of national brands are La Croix and Poland Spring. Some grocery stores have cheap brands of them, too. Just look for ingredients labels that only have carbonated water and natural flavorings.

After being a diet Coke and Dr. Pepper addict for years, I now can't stand the taste of them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    zyxst wrote: »

Crap around us it's seldom over $1 a 2L at Walmart

I live on an island. Food has to be shipped over via overnight ferry. Walmart cost is $2 for a 2L.