insatiable hunger

Options
lets get right to the point, I'm hungry, all the time. it has always been like this, all my life. from child to adult there has always been a hunger that I cannot quench. I know what an absence of hunger is, because I feel it when I'm violently ill, or doing intense physical work. other than that its a never ending sensation.

I still feel hunger after a small meal, large meal, too large a meal. I know its not (oh you're just mistaking hunger for thirst), because I drink a vary large amount of water. my food bill is limited to about 275 per month for a family of 4, so that doesn't leave much for a lot of play. the doc put me on a prescription for metformin for a few months, and honestly I don't feel any less hungry.

any suggestions would be nice.

Replies

• heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you really hunger for something else. Maybe find out what it is and go get it....
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    zagon_the_ultimate Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Perhaps you really hunger for something else. Maybe find out what it is and go get it....

that's what I'm trying to get a grasp on.
  • shezll
    shezll Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe go and see another doctor for a second opinion?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    If food isn't satisfying the hunger could it be emotional? Would it be possible for you to find someone local to talk to?
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    Options
    I don't understand the emotional eating, it just doesn't make sense to me. how would food make me feel better? I enjoy the food yes, I enjoy making food, discovering new combinations of flavors and subtle tastes. to me eating emotionally is like trying to fix a sink by building a rocket.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    If its truly hunger that you're feeling regardless of what you consume then you need to see a doctor. And keep seeing doctors until you find who'll listen to you and your symptoms, instead of just brushing you off and giving you appetite suppressants without a diagnosis. Insatiable hunger is a symptom of, like, 10+ medical conditions. Its called polyphagia or hyperphagia. It is either an increase in appetite or an insatiable appetite.
  • zagon_the_ultimate
    Options
    If its truly hunger that you're feeling regardless of what you consume then you need to see a doctor. And keep seeing doctors until you find who'll listen to you and your symptoms, instead of just brushing you off and giving you appetite suppressants without a diagnosis. Insatiable hunger is a symptom of, like, 10+ medical conditions. Its called polyphagia or hyperphagia. It is either an increase in appetite or an insatiable appetite.

heh, that would be a trick, get a doctor to listen! ill see what I can do, see a couple around town.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options

heh, that would be a trick, get a doctor to listen! ill see what I can do, see a couple around town.

I know, right? I had two doctors dismiss my strange list of symptoms as "panic attacks" and "just stress". No tests, no questions, no nothing. I explained what I could and they told me it was nothing. One even interrupted me to tell me its just stress and nothing to worry about. They sent me home and told me to keep a journal and relax. I went home and cried because I knew something wasn't right. Third doctor diagnosed anaphylaxis (without throat swelling and hives makes it harder to diagnose, evidently) and sent me home with two epipens. I had had anaphylactic episodes at least 6 times while under the care of the first two doctors. Sometimes you just have to find the right doctor.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If this is actual genuine hunger then previous responses are right; you really need to see a doctor. The only illness I know of that causes insatiable hunger (although my medical knowledge isn't great) is Prader-Willie syndrome. Can also be a side effect of diabetes or hypoglycemia, but my point is all of these have the potential to be serious. Don't let it go; keep on at the doctors until they help you