Lost focus

Options
Hi everyone. I'm wondering if anyone has had this same problem. I was on here about a year ago and was doing great and then lost focus and all went downhill. I can do 100 things at one time but never finish something or I can focus on one thing and do great, which is what I was doing. Then, something else in life comes up and kinda takes that focus away and before I know it, I've stopped completely with diet and exercise because I'm not in that mindset anymore even though I know I want to lose the weight. So what do you do when you lose focus? How do you get back into the mindset? I think I need accountability. I was doing it in my own before and did well for a while but I think it's better and easier to have support and accountability.
Oh and uhh I'm still kinda trying to navigate the app again and I don't know how to add friends or at least I don't think I do lol so anyone please feel free to add me. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks so much!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to exercise, you don't have to. But you have to eat. Things happen in my life too, in everybody's life - and almost never when we want them to. I had to find a mindset that I didn't have to get on and off - so, not a "dieting" mindset, but a "new normal" mindset. It's not supposed to stop. When you hit maintenance, you just add a few more calories, but keep your new habits, and your new attitude. If you go back to the habits and attitudes that made you overweight, you will get overweight again.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Every night when you lock your front door, place a 35 or 50lb dumbbell in front of it, so that you have to move it before you can leave the next day.

Every time you pick it up, ask yourself if you want to carry that around permanently.

Instant focus. :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    @Cylphin60 In my case I would need to put an SUV in front of the door. :/

@Noel_57 if you can move an SUV I'd say you're already doing pretty darn good. :D
  • heathervo
    heathervo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Every night when you lock your front door, place a 35 or 50lb dumbbell in front of it, so that you have to move it before you can leave the next day.

Every time you pick it up, ask yourself if you want to carry that around permanently.

How's that for perspective! But doesn't give you a reality check.
  • JohnONE29
    JohnONE29 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Inspiration and motivation will come and go. Determination and Commitment are what's needed. I found that exercise motivates me. So I sign up for marathons 6 months to a year in advance. In order to accomplish those bigger goals - then I establish small and medium sized goals. So for instance: I set goals of running 200 miles each month, and smaller goals of a minimum of 40 miles each week. I sign up for smaller races such as half marathons, and schedule long runs every weekend. So I'm always working on my smaller weekly goals, training for those medium size half marathons and 200 mile months, so I will be prepared to run 26.2.

What do you want to achieve? And then break it down into smaller achievements. Life is like a stairway, take it each step at a time, day by day.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    heathervo wrote: »

But do you really want the reality check? That, I believe, is what I got when I realized the weight was there, the energy was not, and I couldn't take it all back. I had a lot of work to do.

See, I understand where you're coming from, really. but all of the good folks here can give you all the best advice, provide source link after link loaded with information, and make post after post loaded with poetic and powerful encouragement, but until you decide to not only make the decision to do something about it, but actually commit to sticking to that decision, it won't happen.

And one day you will wake up and look in the mirror, and realize that the extra 20lbs that you rationalized away has now become 50, or 75, or 100 and you let it happen.

Get off your tail and do it. :)<3
  • heathervo
    Options

But do you really want the reality check? That, I believe, is what I got when I realized the weight was there, the energy was not, and I couldn't take it all back. I had a lot of work to do.

See, I understand where you're coming from, really. but all of the good folks here can give you all the best advice, provide source link after link loaded with information, and make post after post loaded with poetic and powerful encouragement, but until you decide to not only make the decision to do something about it, but actually commit to sticking to that decision, it won't happen.

And one day you will wake up and look in the mirror, and realize that the extra 20lbs that you rationalized away has now become 50, or 75, or 100 and you let it happen.

I do! I see what you're saying since I've gone back and forth since I was in that mode but yes. It's why I'm back on here and also looking for other people who may have experienced the same issue. Or to tell me to get off my tail and do it! Lol Ive started but it's all brand new again.
    But that's ok! Gotta start somewhere
  • Cylphin60
    Options

I do! I see what you're saying since I've gone back and forth since I was in that mode but yes. It's why I'm back on here and also looking for other people who may have experienced the same issue. Or to tell me to get off my tail and do it! Lol Ive started but it's all brand new again.
    But that's ok! Gotta start somewhere

Well, then, "GET OFF YOUR TAIL AND DO IT!" :D

Add me if you want - I'm old and cranky but I log in every day and am really good at harassing people. :D
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    @heathervo I can't comment on the home page for some reason - got it :) and you're more than welcome to tell me to get off my tail and get it done too lol.
  • heathervo
    Options
    @heathervo I can't comment on the home page for some reason - got it :) and you're more than welcome to tell me to get off my tail and get it done too lol.

I'm actually still trying to figure the app out as far as communicating. I'll be sure to harass you if it needs to be done!
  • Cylphin60
    Options

I'm actually still trying to figure the app out as far as communicating. I'll be sure to harass you if it needs to be done!

LOL, please do :D

It seems like I find a new feature every day - normally we can comment and reply on the home page as well, but I couldn't leave a comment saying Hi after I got the FR - don't know what's up with that. You can also send private messages by clicking a users avatar, and from your homepage - look for the envelope up top. Hope that helps some.
  • heathervo
    Options
    Oh ok, I see, thanks!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for over 1 1/2 yrs now and lost close to 40 lbs and had lost about 35 lbs and kept it off a couple of years before that. Focus comes & goes for sure. I don't think eating at a deficit is always going to be desirable or practical. But eating at maintenance is totally doable, so when life gets stressful or I'm just not feeling it, my goal shifts to not gaining. It will take me longer, but at least I'm not getting totally derailed & gaining everything back that I lost. I'll get there.