Gainz

Options
Right now my macros are 160c, 135p, and 45f. I've lost about 6 lbs and now I'm ready to start gaining some muscle while staying as lean as possible. I'm doing cardio 3 times a week and lifting heave about 4-6 times a week. I'm 5'8, and weigh 135-7. Does anybody have an suggestions for macros for wanting to gain muscle but keep the fat off?

Replies

• alameerashraf89
    alameerashraf89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    you have to reduce fat to 20% and take more p about 30_40 %
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Calorie counts and training regimen will dictate muscle growth assuming you are getting enough protein and carbs. Exact macros are unnecessary.
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would slowly increase carbs each week until u reach a point u think fat might me increasing if that makes sense u also could increase protein a touch but 1-1.5g per lb is the ranges recommended most places
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I should have stated "calorie counts and training regimen will dictate muscle AND FAT gains"
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Gaining fat is more about total calorie count than it is about macro ratios. First, lift heavy. Second, get enough protein (usually 1 g per lb body weight is good rule of thumb). After that, it's about keeping the total calories at or just above maintenance by 250 or so calories. But minimizing fat gain comes at a cost, slower muscle gain.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    First, if you want to stay lean, don't bulk... recomp (so eat around maintenance). Second, follow a structured lifting program that supports your goals, lifting 4 to 6 days more than likely is suggesting you are doing random things which would be highly ineffective.
  • annaclaireblack
    annaclaireblack Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    First, if you want to stay lean, don't bulk... recomp (so eat around maintenance). Second, follow a structured lifting program that supports your goals, lifting 4 to 6 days more than likely is suggesting you are doing random things which would be highly ineffective.

how often should I recomp?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

how often should I recomp?

Until you hit your goal. Recomp's do take some time. So you would have to eat at maintenance and train hard for awhile. Over a period of months, a year or more, you will see changes in your body. This is really the only way to stay lean the entire time. Otherwise if you are on a timeframe, you can bulk and then cut again. Being female, about 75% of your gains will be fat, so you will want to do it slowly (10-15% over maintenance).