Holiday Eating

Options
simonhumm
simonhumm Posts: 9 Member
edited December 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm on day four of a month long overseas holiday and I'm eating way more than normal. No scales available but I feel quite bloated already and don't think I'll be able to exercise enough to counteract the extra eating. I want to enjoy nights out, family gatherings and the drinks/food but I don't want to start feeling anxious about the negative effect it's having on my weight. I've dropped 20kg on my program but don't want to see all that work go to waste.

Any advice?

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking your food? Not everyone does this on holiday and you certainly don't have to, but you might find it helpful.Even though estimates might make you feel somewhat more in control. Set your goal to maintain your current weight, though, no need to keep losing weight during your holiday.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Drink plenty of water. Helps flush out the sodium. And helps you feel fuller, faster.

Be mindful of salty foods. Causes water retention & bloating.

Before heading out to restaurant or to friend's, eat a healthy snack & glass of water.
    Don't arrive already starving !

If you're a "stress eater/snacker/drinker ", before your family gatherings :
    walk, stretch, yoga, meditate.

Eat enough fiber, but not too much.

Get enough rest, so your body can work properly.
    Take a multi-vitamin, so your body can work properly.

~ And most important, Have fun :)
  • purdybee
    purdybee Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Eat small portions. Moderation goes a long way, especially at holidays! I'm a holiday eater too, and I'm dreading Christmas dinner!!!!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    OP means holiday as in vacation, not holiday as in Christmas ("long overseas holiday")
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    purdybee wrote: »
    I'm a holiday eater too, and I'm dreading Christmas dinner!!!!

Why would you "dread" Christmas dinner? It's just one meal and it's meant to be enjoyed with family and friends. Log whatever you eat honestly and move on. :)
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    simonhumm wrote: »
    I'm on day four of a month long overseas holiday and I'm eating way more than normal. No scales available but I feel quite bloated already and don't think I'll be able to exercise enough to counteract the extra eating. I want to enjoy nights out, family gatherings and the drinks/food but I don't want to start feeling anxious about the negative effect it's having on my weight. I've dropped 20kg on my program but don't want to see all that work go to waste.

Any advice?

Stop eating so much? ;)

I know that's a simplistic answer, but sometimes the simple answers are the best. If this was just a week's holiday, I'd say enjoy yourself and get back on the wagon when you get home. Seeing as how you're gone for a whole month, though, you're going to have to either eat less or exercise more to avoid a substantial weight gain while you're gone.

Definitely try drinking more water. Cocktail calories add up quickly, so perhaps cut back on that somewhat and substitute a few drinks with water instead. Extra water will also help flush out any excess sodium from the food, which may well be part of what's making you feel bloated.

Eat whatever deliciousness is offered - just take smaller portions. Slow down the amount of time it takes you to actually eat your food - gives your brain time to recognize that there's incoming food to allow it to turn of the "I'm starving!" signal.

Try to get in more exercise. Even walking is an excellent form of cardio that will help offset your caloric intake.

And above all else, have fun! :)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Lower your calories during the day so you have more available for the nights out. Even skip meals that aren't family gatherings.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    my vacation plan is to plan around the big the meals by eating tiny meals around it. If you know you're going out for dinner, skip breakfast, have a light lunch. I've started watching my size 0 US sister on vacation, and she loves her drinks, but never drinks creamy or sugary drinks, and she always orders what she wants off the menu, but never eats it all..and she savors. I've never been able to describe the taste and texture and experience of food as well as she, and I've always eaten twice as much! There's something to be learned in savoring and eating slowly over eating volume. And I've learned from hundreds of disappointing restaurant desserts that unless they have a first-class pastry chef, desserts at most places are an afterthought and nowhere near the quality of the entrees - therefore - not worth it! And unless you're vacationing in a place known for its cuisine, don't make food the center of your vacation experience.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    When you're going to be around food, whether at a social gathering or at work, have a plan and stick to it. We brought treats in for Hallowe'en here at work, and I made a pan of excellent gingerbread with a lemon glaze (Maida Heatter's Moosehead Gingerbread for those who want to look it up). My plan was:

Cut a single piece and enjoy it
    Don't eat the other things people brought - not worth the calories
    Leave the rest for people to eat and don't go back for a second piece.

I stuck to this plan, had my single piece, and very much enjoyed it. And there was nothing left over to take home and be a temptation.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Okay, so this is a "long" vacation. Not your typical one week vacation where I'd tell anyone to just splurge. A month is a long time. When I went to Disney a few years ago (and we ate every meal out), I made up my mind I wasn't going to come back with 5 extra lbs. So I ordered what I wanted but didn't clean my plate. I allowed myself a few bites of dessert a day if there was something special. And I walked, a LOT. I actually lost 5 lbs on that trip.

My suggestion is to join in with all the "food" stuff, but eat half the portions. Don't worry that you are wasting it. Drink a lot and be very prudent on what desserts you choose to eat.