Insanity Max 30 for recomp?

I'm at my goal weight (most days). I plan to keep up the deficit until I lose another pound or two just for a little safety net.

I've lost my weight (22 lbs) by calorie counting and alternating between weight lifting and running, 5-6 days a week.

Maybe it's the holidays (being so busy, so many treats around) or maybe it's being at or close to my goal, but I've felt less driven lately, so I thought I'd try the insanity program to push myself a little, focusing more on fitness as the motivator instead of on losing weight.

If I'm eating at maintenance or keeping up a very slim deficit, and doing this program which combines strength and cardio with a focus on pushing yourself to the point of maxing out 6 days a week... any chance I'll see some body recomp in the works? I'm going to do this regardless, because following a program feels like the right thing to do to keep motivated as I transition to maintenance, but I'd like to tamper my expectations if I'm not likely to see any change in my body.

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    I don't think that you will gain much (if any) muscle on a programme like Insanity.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    I guess a chance depending on your current state.... Wouldn't be too optimistic though unless you are coming from a very undertrained state.

This isn't a great way to train either "pushing yourself to the point of maxing out 6 days a week" - that's a great way to plateau and burn out rather than progress.

But enjoyment is certainly a valid reason for choosing a program. Have fun.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    It would be highly doubtful to gain muscle with a HIIT style program. At best the styles have shown that HIIT has the ability to help maintain muscle, but I haven't seen one to suggest muscle gains. Personally, I tend to use this programs as supplemental to my lifting program. At some point, if you want to recomp, I would suggest looking into doing that.
  • emilysusana
    emilysusana Posts: 416 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    It would be highly doubtful to gain muscle with a HIIT style program. At best the styles have shown that HIIT has the ability to help maintain muscle, but I haven't seen one to suggest muscle gains. Personally, I tend to use this programs as supplemental to my lifting program. At some point, if you want to recomp, I would suggest looking into doing that.

Okay. And I probably will. I just could tell I needed an easy to follow program to get through the holidays. (It's Friday: do this). The added benefit is to skip the icy early morning roads getting myself to the weight room at the gym. When I get through it, i. February, I'll get back to weights and start researching what a proper recomp would entail.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    psuLemon wrote: »

Okay. And I probably will. I just could tell I needed an easy to follow program to get through the holidays. (It's Friday: do this). The added benefit is to skip the icy early morning roads getting myself to the weight room at the gym. When I get through it, i. February, I'll get back to weights and start researching what a proper recomp would entail.

I fully understand. And there are several people who adjust their workouts for many factors. If anything, you might see a little fat loss and increase in stamina if you have a small deficit. And then when you have the ability, get back to the gym and push hard.