Thyroid problems

Options
How do you lose weight if your thyroid is crazy?

Replies

• Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism so I've been taking natural supplements they don't help me lose weight, but they definitely help me control my weight better, when I take them my weight is more steady inspite of what I eat. And when I'm not taking them I seem to gain weight faster and easier. There are also certain food I try to stay away from that can cause it to act up
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    What supplements do you take? What kind of food should be avoided?
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    No not yet
  • Aw0627
    Options
    ladyj22 wrote: »

The supplement I take is 1 Body Thyriod support supplement you can get it off amazon for about $25, they also sell it at Vitamin Shoppes if I'm not mistaking

The main food I stay away from is gluten, because it's more difficult for people with Hyothriodism to break down food that contain gluten, you don't have to give it up completely just minimize your intake. I kind a gave it up completely because that's what works for me.

Also some veggies, particually cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale because it interferes with thyriod production especially if you have an iodine deficiency. These are some of my fave veggies I still eat them just not as much
  • ugwprincess
    ugwprincess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism doesn't cause very much weight gain, which has been well proven by doctors. 5 to 10 pounds at most. If you have no other medical conditions, there is a very very low chance your thyroid is doing much to hinder weight loss.
  • Aw0627
    Options
    Aw0627 wrote: »

The supplement I take is 1 Body Thyriod support supplement you can get it off amazon for about $25, they also sell it at Vitamin Shoppes if I'm not mistaking

The main food I stay away from is gluten, because it's more difficult for people with Hyothriodism to break down food that contain gluten, you don't have to give it up completely just minimize your intake. I kind a gave it up completely because that's what works for me.

Also some veggies, particually cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, and kale because it interferes with thyriod production especially if you have an iodine deficiency. These are some of my fave veggies I still eat them just not as much

All of this does not necessarily apply, and I feel it's premature to suggest this before the OP has her thyroid functions under control with the proper medication.

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and find that the things you mention - specifically gluten and cruciferous vegetables - are not an issue for me.

And taking the "Thyroid Supplements" that are available can actually be dangerous:

http://www.consumerreports.org/vitamins-supplements/never-take-thyroid-supplements/

This issue needs to be addressed with a medical doctor. It's not something to screw around with on one's own.

Of course everyone should consult with a doctor first before taking anything, but they should also look for alternatives if you don't want to take drugs, at least with supplements you know exactly what's inside of it. You can consult with a doctor that will give you meds that have worse side effect than what these Supplements contain which is really none at all, I looked at many options is this is the best if you want to take care of it naturally with out side effects from harmful drugs. And Everyone is different what might work for me may not work for others, but at least I can share for those who are willing to try it out.

Doctors are alway trying to steer people away from natural cures, I did a lot of research both medically and other wise so like I said this is what worked for me so I shared it.

• Aw0627
    Options

All of this does not necessarily apply, and I feel it's premature to suggest this before the OP has her thyroid functions under control with the proper medication.

I have hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's) and find that the things you mention - specifically gluten and cruciferous vegetables - are not an issue for me.

And taking the "Thyroid Supplements" that are available can actually be dangerous:

http://www.consumerreports.org/vitamins-supplements/never-take-thyroid-supplements/

This issue needs to be addressed with a medical doctor. It's not something to screw around with on one's own.

Of course everyone should consult with a doctor first before taking anything, but they should also look for alternatives if you don't want to take drugs, at least with supplements you know exactly what's inside of it. You can consult with a doctor that will give you meds that have worse side effect than what these Supplements contain which is really none at all, I looked at many options is this is the best if you want to take care of it naturally with out side effects from harmful drugs. And Everyone is different what might work for me may not work for others, but at least I can share for those who are willing to try it out.

Doctors are alway trying to steer people away from natural cures, I did a lot of research both medically and other wise so like I said this is what worked for me so I shared it.

Here's where you are misinformed. There are absolutely *no* regulations regarding the content, strength, purity or efficacy of any supplements that are available that proclaim to aid (or in some cases even cure) thyroid issues, among many other ailments.

I've had Hashimoto's for 35 years. It is well managed and controlled by taking varying levels of prescribed medication depending on what stage my disease is currently in. I feel it is irresponsible to suggest foregoing proper medication in favour of unregulated and potentially dangerous supplement alternatives, regardless of how "natural" you may think they are.

tl;dr : Big Pharma is *not* evil.

Like I said everyone is different and different things work for different people, I'm not old enough to have had to deal with this for that many years, but the years that I've have this has worked for me better than any prescription has ever. I think it's better to let someone know about these alternative because they could be like me, and has tried many things but can't find what works for them.

There's no reason to be condescending, everyone is entiled to there opinion, and I'm just sharing my experience just like everyone else, I'm not talking out of my butt or making things up out of thin air, these are thing I actually took time to educate myself about through tons of reseach, questions and evidence.

and there are just certain drugs I don't take especially if they have too many side effects, it will just make your condition worse than what it already is.