Thyroidectomy - Calorie Help

Options
Hi Everyone
I had a thyroidectomy 7 weeks ago for thyroid cancer and been on synthroid for 6 weeks closing in on 7 weeks and Ive been seeing a nutritionalist to help me understand how many calorie I should be eating to fight off weight gain, she wanted me to eat 1600 cals based on my activity and the more I thought about this the more I resisted and dropped it to 1400 instead because of things I have read about having no thyroid and cals, she felt I should up carbs.

I do think my synthroid is off and I know this pill is not the miracle weight loss pill some people think it is since I feel like another person. Below is all my info, I need help or a good suggestion for a site that can guide someone without a thyroid in the calorie dept. Endo Appt. This coming wed.

1. Ive gained about 5 pounds since surgery (doesnt sound like a lot) I can see this 5 turning into 20 fast if I can't get myself together.
2. I've been feeling water logged constantly and at times I feel like im walking on glass, my feet hurt bad. Reducing sodium has not helped me.
3. I workout 5 days a week (walk 10 miles per day) HITT Class (60 min once a week) Body Pump(60min once per week) Abs class (30 minutes once per week) and I go to gym on other days lift wts & some cardio. Those classes leave me wrecked for days and ive been doing them for a longtime without issues prior to surgery...annoying.

I try hard with my diet and exercise Im just getting flustrated with the difficulties this lack of thyroid is bringing and no real guide for eating without a thyroid.

Thanks for help in advance.

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Runngurl43 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone
    I had a thyroidectomy 7 weeks ago for thyroid cancer and been on synthroid for 6 weeks closing in on 7 weeks and Ive been seeing a nutritionalist to help me understand how many calorie I should be eating to fight off weight gain, she wanted me to eat 1600 cals based on my activity and the more I thought about this the more I resisted and dropped it to 1400 instead because of things I have read about having no thyroid and cals, she felt I should up carbs.

I do think my synthroid is off and I know this pill is not the miracle weight loss pill some people think it is since I feel like another person. Below is all my info, I need help or a good suggestion for a site that can guide someone without a thyroid in the calorie dept. Endo Appt. This coming wed.

1. Ive gained about 5 pounds since surgery (doesnt sound like a lot) I can see this 5 turning into 20 fast if I can't get myself together.
    2. I've been feeling water logged constantly and at times I feel like im walking on glass, my feet hurt bad. Reducing sodium has not helped me.
    3. I workout 5 days a week (walk 10 miles per day) HITT Class (60 min once a week) Body Pump(60min once per week) Abs class (30 minutes once per week) and I go to gym on other days lift wts & some cardio. Those classes leave me wrecked for days and ive been doing them for a longtime without issues prior to surgery...annoying.

I try hard with my diet and exercise Im just getting flustrated with the difficulties this lack of thyroid is bringing and no real guide for eating without a thyroid.

Thanks for help in advance.

First off, I don't know anyone who thinks Synthroid is a "miracle weight loss pill." It merely compensates for what your non-existing thyroid used to produce for you.

Seeing as how you're only 7 weeks post-op, your medication level might need to be adjusted upwards. Before you start making any drastic changes to your diet, I'd wait until after your Endo appointment.

The bottom line is once your medication level is properly established, losing or maintaining weight should not any more problematic or difficult than for someone with an existing and properly functioning thyroid.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Speak to your doctor asap to sort out your medication. With that much exercise and calorie intake, you should not be gaining weight.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Paging @CSARdiver
  • AutumnDraidean
    AutumnDraidean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed 13 years ago and also did the radioactive iodine. I started congenitally hypothyroid but had a goiter. I think it was a good 3 months before I felt like myself again after the surgery and the radiation.
    In my case it didn't help that after one testing go round I refused the recombinant TSH and just went off meds when I needed to be hypo for a tumour marker test. They gave me the rTSH and I went from feeling fine to feeling like I got hit by a bus in a 45 minute stretch. Catch was, I'd driven myself the 30 minutes to town. Not a good memory.

As I said, I've always been hypothyroid and I take 200 mcg a day of Synthroid. during the years I was pregnant and breastfeeding they had me on 250mcg. it does take at least 6 weeks for it to kick in fully and it takes 6 weeks for any dose change to have appreciable effects on the labs.

The only thyroid woo I own is that I only take synthroid, I will not take generics. I could be convinced to try again if I had some control over which manufacturer and some promise that they wouldn't flit between companies looking for that .001 cent price difference. Which will happen when pigs fly!!

Oh and if you like your endo stay with them and don't let primary care docs mess with your thyroid meds! If you don't like your endo, work toward finding one you do like.

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid removed 13 years ago and also did the radioactive iodine. I started congenitally hypothyroid but had a goiter. I think it was a good 3 months before I felt like myself again after the surgery and the radiation.
    In my case it didn't help that after one testing go round I refused the recombinant TSH and just went off meds when I needed to be hypo for a tumour marker test. They gave me the rTSH and I went from feeling fine to feeling like I got hit by a bus in a 45 minute stretch. Catch was, I'd driven myself the 30 minutes to town. Not a good memory.

As I said, I've always been hypothyroid and I take 200 mcg a day of Synthroid. during the years I was pregnant and breastfeeding they had me on 250mcg. it does take at least 6 weeks for it to kick in fully and it takes 6 weeks for any dose change to have appreciable effects on the labs.

The only thyroid woo I own is that I only take synthroid, I will not take generics. I could be convinced to try again if I had some control over which manufacturer and some promise that they wouldn't flit between companies looking for that .001 cent price difference. Which will happen when pigs fly!!

Oh and if you like your endo stay with them and don't let primary care docs mess with your thyroid meds! If you don't like your endo, work toward finding one you do like.

I only take Synthroid too. Someone posted something on here once explaining about the difference there can be in the generics and why this affects some people, but darned if I can remember the specifics of it!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

I only take Synthroid too. Someone posted something on here once explaining about the difference there can be in the generics and why this affects some people, but darned if I can remember the specifics of it!

Generics by regulation must be identical in all specifications. The difficulty in levothyroxine and nearly all hormones is that the dosage is remarkably small (micrograms) and extremely hard to manufacture in specification in a pill form.

While generics must meet all the required specifications there may be the chance of differences in manufacturing process and the active pharmaceutical ingredients (API). These must meet specifications as well, but as in everything there is variation.

I used to be one of the final reviewers of Synthroid manufacturing. I work in another firm currently. I did not react as well to levothyroxine and had my endocrinologist order Synthroid.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I had my thyroid gland removed over 20 years ago due to thyroid cancer. I did gain a few pounds after surgery and, I must say, I'm impressed that you manage all that exercise so soon after the surgery. I mean, I know you are allowed but I felt bad for awhile after my surgery. I keep remember the wise words of my surgeon who told me that I had a VERY important organ removed from my body and might not feel like myself for 6 months. He was right. Honestly, I think you're doing too much, too soon. Also, while 6 weeks if the first time you can start to get a reliable TSH, for some people it takes longer. At 6-7 weeks post op, my TSH was still too elevated, but it continued to fall for the next few weeks. You're just probably not there yet.

You could also maybe be having some calcium issues from the surgery that are causing the pain in your feet. That too will correct itself.

Give it time. Honestly, for now, I would cut back on the exercise just a bit. You should feel somewhat better from it, not bed-bound. I also think that 1600 calories is a reasonable plan.
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone

• RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Heya!

What caloric intake does MFP tell you? Generally I would use this and possibly lower by 5% depending on how you feel.

It will take at least 6 weeks for the levothyroxine to take effect where you notice a difference. Many physicians will want to regulate this slowly as this is a potent hormone and measured in the micrograms. The risk of overdoing this is atrial fibrillation, but with your workout regimen you should be fine. Give your endocrinologist all of this information and also have them check out the work of Dr. Jeffrey Brown - he has treated several elite level athletes with hypothyroidism. Bring data to your doctor - MFP logs, exercise logs, etc. Insist on a full thyroid panel, which should never be an issue. Your doc will be pushing you towards hyper (TSH ~0.2) to minimize the risk of cancer recurrence, but watch your fT3 to ensure that everything is fine with the T4 to T3 formation. They should also be watching your calcium levels with the proximity of the parathyroid glands.

1. This weight gain is temporary and due to increased cellular uptake. Like water weight this will pass once your body adjusts.

2. Did you get a surgical removal, radiation, or both? This sounds like the after effects of radiation, which is normal, but flat out sucks. Take long showers, push fluids, and just give it time. It took me about 2 months to feel back to normal.

3. This will be your toughest challenge, but with your regimen you already have the tools to overcome this. This is the mental aspect and "brain fog" you feel when in hormonal imbalance. Bodies don't like dramatic shifts to the system and you just went through a massive one. It took me a bit of shopping to find a doc I could work with and pushed from a 50 mcg dose to my current 175/200 mcg alt day dose to finally feel normal again.

For diet there's really nothing different. Stay away from the non-science sites like Stop the Thyroid Madness and anyone advertising a Thyroid Diet - it doesn't exist.

Thank you - very informative. Two of my sisters had their thyroids out due to cancer this year (and a third had a mastectomy due to breast cancer) so I suspect the odds are not in my favor. From the little reading I've done, thyroid cancer doesn't tend to run in families but it's still good to have information.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Heya!

What caloric intake does MFP tell you? Generally I would use this and possibly lower by 5% depending on how you feel.

It will take at least 6 weeks for the levothyroxine to take effect where you notice a difference. Many physicians will want to regulate this slowly as this is a potent hormone and measured in the micrograms. The risk of overdoing this is atrial fibrillation, but with your workout regimen you should be fine. Give your endocrinologist all of this information and also have them check out the work of Dr. Jeffrey Brown - he has treated several elite level athletes with hypothyroidism. Bring data to your doctor - MFP logs, exercise logs, etc. Insist on a full thyroid panel, which should never be an issue. Your doc will be pushing you towards hyper (TSH ~0.2) to minimize the risk of cancer recurrence, but watch your fT3 to ensure that everything is fine with the T4 to T3 formation. They should also be watching your calcium levels with the proximity of the parathyroid glands.

1. This weight gain is temporary and due to increased cellular uptake. Like water weight this will pass once your body adjusts.

2. Did you get a surgical removal, radiation, or both? This sounds like the after effects of radiation, which is normal, but flat out sucks. Take long showers, push fluids, and just give it time. It took me about 2 months to feel back to normal.

3. This will be your toughest challenge, but with your regimen you already have the tools to overcome this. This is the mental aspect and "brain fog" you feel when in hormonal imbalance. Bodies don't like dramatic shifts to the system and you just went through a massive one. It took me a bit of shopping to find a doc I could work with and pushed from a 50 mcg dose to my current 175/200 mcg alt day dose to finally feel normal again.

For diet there's really nothing different. Stay away from the non-science sites like Stop the Thyroid Madness and anyone advertising a Thyroid Diet - it doesn't exist.

Thank you - very informative. Two of my sisters had their thyroids out due to cancer this year (and a third had a mastectomy due to breast cancer) so I suspect the odds are not in my favor. From the little reading I've done, thyroid cancer doesn't tend to run in families but it's still good to have information.

This may sound strange, but if you could wish for a cancer, this would be your choice. Very treatable thanks to all the reform from 2002 changing the endocrinology profession. There are a few high profile stars, athletes, etc. with thyroid cancer and it hasn't slowed them down a bit.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    Heya!

This may sound strange, but if you could wish for a cancer, this would be your choice. Very treatable thanks to all the reform from 2002 changing the endocrinology profession. There are a few high profile stars, athletes, etc. with thyroid cancer and it hasn't slowed them down a bit.

That is exactly what my doctor said! She said we should be aware but it's the most curable one around so if I get to pick which cancer I have a family history of to get, chose that one. (Well, she didn't say it exactly like that.)