Desolate..1 week binge

Options
Ive been having problems with depression and have binged 7 days in the past 9, i would estimate 3500-4000 calories a day. The effect on my body has been huge, none of my clothes fit. I have gained about an inch on my band and what looks in my old clothes like about 3 around the waist (jeans that used to be huge and fall down on me are now painful when zipped up). I can't believe this amout of gain is possible in a week. Last time i jumped on the scale (about 3 days into the binge i was up 11lbs and i haven't dared get on since). Has anyone experienced this. What did you do to counter act this. For the sake of this post the binge has already happened, i know in future "self restriant" is the answer.. I'm starting a strict diet and fitness regime tomorrow but am scared to go into the gym and be seen in work in case people notice the massive change. Will it take 5 weeks to return to my normal self. Does anyone have any tips on how to loose quickly. Is it a case of quicker gained, quicker lost? Let me know your experiences.

Replies

• missmagnoliablossom
    Options
    It's one week out of your WHOLE life - you will be okay! Mistakes happen to everyone, and it's absolutely fixable.

Can you use this as a moment to reflect on what led you to binge? For myself, I noticed that if I was "in for a penny," I was in for a pound, literally. Total snowball effect. When did I start binging? After I'd had a good few drinks and decided I needed that extra cookie/tortilla chip/french fry x a million. What was the start of your binge? How did it continue? How can you recognize that moment the next time it happens?

As the above poster mentioned, it's likely at least some of it is water weight, and will go down fairly quickly. The rest? You can do it! Don't be afraid of the gym - anyone who is judging someone else in there needs to take a hard look at themselves. We should NEVER be ashamed of taking steps to better ourselves.
  • gabbyo23
    gabbyo23 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hey :) i used to binge A LOT. Like serious, crippling 7000 calorie binges. I don't do it any more.

My advice would be NOT to try and "make up for it". You mention starting a strict diet tomorrow...there's nothing wrong with good intentions but do not make it too strict. You are much more likely to succeed (and avoid another binge) if you take it easy. So don't restrict your cals too low...consider eating at maintenence for maybe 3 days, then slowly ease yourself into a deficit.

The reason binges are addictive is largely because we often react to and binge with and super strict quick fix diet and it just results in another binge and a miserable binge starve cycle. You need to get your body used to normal good intake1 and not binging...THEN you can focus on a deficit.

Drink lots of water. It's cleansing and makes you feel good.

Get outside!! Go for walks. It's about your mental clarity and being kind to yourself. This is as much about psychological healing as it is about physical healing. Sorry to sound all hippy but it's true.

Filling your diet with fiber and protein could also help keep you full.

Good luck xx
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Question: Is it ANYWHERE near that time of the month? Many women experience insatiable hunger up to 2 weeks before the start of their periods. If this could be the case for you then I recommend trying to find foods that keep you feeling full longer, stay well hydrated, and try to also find foods that are less calorie dense so that when you aren't hungry yet you want to eat they won't be such a detriment to your progress.
    If this has not been a problem for you previously that doesn't mean it can't become one. As we mature Our hormones change and the way our bodies respond to those hormones also change. Just a thought.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else saying not to restrict to make up for it.

I agree with the advice to eat at maintenance for a few days, drink a lot of water, and then just gradually ease into a very small deficit until you feel you have a better handle on things.
  • bunny_347
    bunny_347 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. @gabby23 you are so right about mental clarity, i have basically not left the house for 3 days which i dont think is helping, yes i shall start walking as this has greatly helped in the past. Just want to be my old self minus these horrible extra 40lbs! Its so hard not to restrict. Ive found a program online with 5 mini meals per day, lots of protien so hopefully that will help with cravings. Will start on the water drinking now, for some reason im just not thirsty at all. I think all of the sugar and carbs have really messed with my system and i keep getting hungry even though i have already eaten a ton! Lesson learn't dont binge, it does count, even if it is just a week, missed an evening with friends as i couldnt wear any of my clothes my stomach was so huge!