Positive attitude key in tackling weight loss

Options
I'm sure this has been posted somewhere in these forums before, but I though it worth putting up anyway. There's a lot of anxiety and uncertainty on display here, from newcomers, and I get that, I think we all do. But have a read from the Mayo clinic blog (2010) and hopefully something in here will resonate and motivate folks here.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/expert-blog/positive-attitude/bgp-20056443
The reason some people aren't as successful at managing their weight as they would like to be can be traced to how they begin their efforts. You need to set yourself up to succeed.

What do I mean by that? In an area that's challenging and has many barriers and bumps in the road, you want to give yourself the best chance possible. This means preparing yourself initially as well as you can.

Attitude is extremely important, but often not appreciated. The common attitude associated with initiating weight loss is "Oohh, I've got to go on a DIET," often said with a forlorn tone that implies the joy has gone out of life.

This negative, restrictive attitude seems to anticipate the drudgery that is sure to follow. Sound familiar? This approach is destined to fail sooner or later because it isn't sustainable. It's like you're constantly trudging uphill toward an elusive goal.

A better approach is to focus on the positive aspects of undertaking lifestyle changes that can lead to better weight management. Yes, positive. For example, many people find that when they were more physically active, they felt better. Listen to this. Use this as motivation to continue to be active.

Does it take some effort to move regularly, especially when just starting? Sure. Will it take more time? Absolutely. But it's well worth it — for your weight, your health, and how you feel. And if you start out with the right attitude, along with a solid program, you can succeed.

Replies

• OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Totally true. I never thought about my weight loss journey as going on a diet. I just knew I had to change my lifestyle so that I could have a better quality of life. I was very restrictive with what I ate for about the first year. After that I worked, and am still working on eating foods that I want to eat and not feel guilty while making sure that I am still aware of what I eat. I dont punish or reward myself with food. I don't beat myself up if I eat too much. I just remind myself how far I have come and know that I can keep going.