Runners, do you run when legs are sore?

Options
2»

Replies

• miratps
    miratps Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    How do you know it's DOMS or actual muscle pain? I had to stop my run this morning because I was literally about to cry due to the pain so walked the last part which was still painful both physically and mentally.

I haven't actually had any sort of rest day from exercise, whether that be cycling, walking a lot, jogging or whatever for months so not really sure. I have had pain in this place before (thigh) and tends to go or I push through till it goes but I feel that is doing more harm than good in the long run.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »
    How do you know it's DOMS or actual muscle pain? I had to stop my run this morning because I was literally about to cry due to the pain so walked the last part which was still painful both physically and mentally.

I haven't actually had any sort of rest day from exercise, whether that be cycling, walking a lot, jogging or whatever for months so not really sure. I have had pain in this place before (thigh) and tends to go or I push through till it goes but I feel that is doing more harm than good in the long run.

For me, the difference is soreness versus sharp pain, I guess I have had DOMS enough to easily recognize it. Sometimes the mental part of running is the hardest, more than sometimes actually. It is my opinion that you should take some rest days, I take two days per week that I do nothing and one day that I do a very low impact workout like going for a leisurely bike ride or a nice long slow walk. I honestly cant imagine not taking a couple of days off per week, when does your body heal?
  • AnnyisOK
    AnnyisOK Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Soreness yes, pain, I try not to.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    miratps wrote: »

If you have been at this for months it is probably not DOMS. I suggest taking a few days or even a week off and see how you feel. And when you start up again make sure you take days off. Resting very important part of getting stronger and faster.