Weight watchers

Options
Opinions on weight watchers? My mom just ordered the books on eBay...what do y'all think

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I did WW for a while a few years ago when it was Points Plus, no meetings, just online. It worked for me, I lost a bunch of weight. It is just dressed up calorie counting/portion control though. Also I think the new system of smart points treats people as if they are really dumb and makes fitting "treats" into your diet almost impossible without being incredibly hungry. They over-value certain foods to discourage you from eating them at all, which I get, it's their approach, but if I want to have a beer I don't need to be overcharged for it, calorie wise. I am much more in control here on MFP and eat all the things I want in moderation.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I don't think WW is for everyone but if it works for your mom, more power to her. There are plenty of ways to lose weight that work. The hard part is keeping it off once you've lost it: that's why so many people go from diet to diet for years, or decades.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    The latest program (and it changes every couple years) is extremely restrictive. Doesn't work for me. Some of the past programs were better. I don't think the free fruits and veggies works very well either - very easy to overeat on fruit! I couldn't even lose an ounce on the latest program - probably because I couldn't stick to it - I need a little sugar in my life!
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Their last program didn't work for me. It was just about impossible to lose weight. It was geared towards people who didn't cook from scratch, and being a Veggie a lot of my staples were very high in points. CC works fine. Tho I have 'pinched' the one good veggie curry recipe they had as my own.