Are burpees a strength training exercise?

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Burpees are haaard! You'll definitely get stronger!

Instead of sending my kids to time out or giving them a swat- I should have made them do burpees! Haha!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Burpees were created by the devil himself...to test us all..... >:)
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options

Trump? Haha! Jk!
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »

Trump? Haha! Jk!

You could be onto something....
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Trump? Haha! Jk!
    Someone had to go there I guess lol.

It's an awesome exercise for overall conditioning. I don't know why they get so much hate.

I actually hope to be able to do one someday. :p
  • JustMissTracy
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Trump? Haha! Jk!

It's an awesome exercise for overall conditioning. I don't know why they get so much hate.

LOL..I can do ONE.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I realize that they have that pushup in there (if you are doing it), but personally, I would consider it cardio.

What pushup?

This is a burpee: From a standing position, bend down into a squat, lean over & place your hands on floor to support your torso w/your arms w/o allowing your knees to touch the floor kick your legs back so that body is in a plank position, kick off w/your feet and bring your legs back up to your chest in one movement while still supporting your torso w/your arms, lean back into the squat position and then stand up.

Repeat as much as you can or want. No pushups involved. Most of the work is done by the glutes and quads but there is some arm, shoulder, back and core involvement in supporting the torso during the exercise.

It is not considered a typical "strength" exercise but just try to do 20 in a row w/o sufficient strength snd conditioning. That's why it's so often the go-to exercise in HIIT body weight exercise routines.

Most places where I have done them, there is a pushup done from the plank position before coming back up.

burpees4.png

The difference between a Squat Thrust (the first routine) and a Burpee (the second). The Burpee incorporates a push-up and a jump squat; the Squat Thrust does not. Call them what you will, strength (body weight can be strength training, no?) or cardio, still a very good exercise to work into your routine.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I think of them as (aerobic) conditioning.
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    I realize that they have that pushup in there (if you are doing it), but personally, I would consider it cardio.

What pushup?

This is a burpee: From a standing position, bend down into a squat, lean over & place your hands on floor to support your torso w/your arms w/o allowing your knees to touch the floor kick your legs back so that body is in a plank position, kick off w/your feet and bring your legs back up to your chest in one movement while still supporting your torso w/your arms, lean back into the squat position and then stand up.

Repeat as much as you can or want. No pushups involved. Most of the work is done by the glutes and quads but there is some arm, shoulder, back and core involvement in supporting the torso during the exercise.

It is not considered a typical "strength" exercise but just try to do 20 in a row w/o sufficient strength snd conditioning. That's why it's so often the go-to exercise in HIIT body weight exercise routines.

There are (sloppy) pushups in my burpees.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Trump? Haha! Jk!

LOL..I can do ONE.

Show off!!!!

I kid I kid! :D

I'm actually going to be incorporating them into my routine next week. I'm going to try a personal challenge of 50 per week for starters.

If I suddenly stop posting you know they won....
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    "150FNG wrote: »
    Squat Thrust and Burpee are always used like pretty interchangeably, but I've always known squat thrust to be what you described and a burpee to be with the pushup.

Never heard what I do called a "squat thrust" b4 but i guess that's an apt description. Always called them burpees.

I'll have to remember to distinguish them from what others consider "burpees" in the future and to ask for clarification to see if we're talking about the same thing or not.

Check the Variants section of this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burpee_(exercise); there are many variants. The one that includes one push up is noted as sometimes being called a "bastardo."
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    Personally I would think burpees are both strength and cardio. A proper burpee does have a pushup, however, there are modified burpees.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    anything can be strength training if you wear a 40 lb back pack :P
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    doing a large amount of repetitive exercises will build lean muscle mass... the question is do you want muscle strength or muscle endurance. of course the ideal is a balance of the two... BUT one will almost invariably suffer as you gravitate towards one training regime to another.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    Personally I would think burpees are both strength and cardio. A proper burpee does have a pushup, however, there are modified burpees.

An exercise with a resistance element doesn't necessarily equate to "strength" training...strength training is a very specific type of training...not all resistance training is strength training. That's not to say you're not going to gain some measure of strength, but it would be very limited.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

An exercise with a resistance element doesn't necessarily equate to "strength" training...strength training is a very specific type of training...not all resistance training is strength training. That's not to say you're not going to gain some measure of strength, but it would be very limited.

Agreed - which is why it's so important to have clearly defined goals. I personally invested a lot of time and effort doing routines which benefited me quite a bit as I was going from newb status trying to reach intermediate, but it fell apart after a certain point progression wise because I simply didn't know exactly what I was working towards.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Burpees are a punishment exercise it's true. Doing them on skates is the worst.