Calling all 16/8 people!

Options
Hi,
I started doing 16/8 on Monday and eat between 12.30-8.30pm then fast for 16hours, in the morning I have Black coffee and water until its time to eat. I have been monitoring my calories also and make sure I'm not having more than 1500 as from a online calculator I have worked out Your BMR is: 1418 - Your TDEE is: 2199 calories so just thought I'd go with 1500 and see if that helps. Not sure if this is too much or too little calories thou.

Since Tue I have weighed myself everyday just to see what the scales are saying
Wednesday I was 1/2lb lighter and I was like yey, but then today I'm a Pound and a half heavier so depressing. Does anyone know why this is?

I know I shouldn't weigh more than once a week but I'm now thinking this 16/8 business isn't working Help!

Ellie x

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    You've been IFing since Monday--today is Thursday of the same week. That's not enough time to know anything.

Stop weighing every day or learn to accept fluctuations. They happen all the time, and especially with women as we have the hormonal stuff going on in addition to typical things that make the scale fluctuate--contents of bladder/bowel, water retention due to a zillion different things including whatever you might have had to eat (salt, carbohydrate, etc.) or not enough water, etc. Who knows why you weigh more today. Don't worry about it and give the scale a rest. Use your measuring tape, the fit of your clothes, and photographs to check progress over time. Not over four days--more time.
  • chelsifina
    chelsifina Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Truly, you have to give any diet about a month to determine if there is a useful trend or not. For myself I have discovered that I have a pattern of gaining weight during the first week of any alteration to my diet or exercise routine. Then, in the two weeks that follow I begin to see the scale slow shift downward. Sometimes I lose nothing for two weeks, then lose 2 pounds in one week. From what I can tell, this kind of non-linear weirdness to weight loss is pretty standard. In fact, I've never heard of anyone just losing weight at a predictable pace. Be patient, I know it sucks.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I have done IF and it worked well for me. But I also found that my body looses better if I eat more calories during the day and not save them all for night when my body tries to digest them while I'm sleeping. Maybe trying cutting off at 6:30 or 7 instead of 8:30 and break your fast with a large amount of your daily calories. I was skipping breakfast, eating a light lunch and saving 1000 or 1200 calories for supper. That had me gaining or staying the same. I spread them out and ate more during day, and only ate 400-500 at supper and works just fine.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    You are experiencing a fluctuation in water weight. It happens to everyone.

You'll need to give this more time before you can decide how well it is working.