Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Most people are obese because they're meant to be. What?!

Options
Basically my mother is terrible when it comes to supporting anyone. She greeted me by saying that losing weight is pointless because she read somewhere that all the biggest losers gained all their weight back because their metabolisms were so use to eating low, the moment they started eating maintenance calories for their new weights, they gained it all back as their metabolisms were permanently slowed down. There for I should give up because *drum roll* Obese people are just meant to be obese. Thanks mum. She ended up sending me this link the next night.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/05/03/contestants-on-biggest-loser-regain-weight-due-to-damaged-metabolism-study-finds.html

Haha It's fox news too, so it's totally legit *rolls eyes*

I can't find any real research to back it up, I've found a few silly articles like the fox one but yet again none having any real research, so I'm feeling good about that... but I'd love to see what everyone else has to say on this and what research you can put forward.

I imagine they gained the weight back because they lost the weight in a small amount of time, doing crazy amounts of exercise and eating very little, so they probably didn't learn much about a healthier lifestyle and went back to their old ways, but that's just a guess.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Huge discussion about this concept (albeit not that exact article) already exists: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10474913/nyt-article-about-obesity-stating-its-genetic-not-lack-of-willpower/p1
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Here's a prior discussion of those results/this topic in this section, which you might find interesting:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10382754/nytimes-reports-that-biggest-losers-have-decreased-metabolism/p1
  • DietVanillaCoke
    DietVanillaCoke Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

More to remember for the next time i see her. Now I'll have "Metabolic damage and Genetics" covered XD Thank you!

• DietVanillaCoke
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Some other interesting links on the topic:

Leigh Peele: http://www.leighpeele.com/a-response-to-the-ny-times-biggest-loser-study -- among other things, some issues about how the study was done (unknowns) plus encouragement about how much influence we have on TDEE.

WP: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/05/why-the-weight-loss-study-everyone-has-been-sharing-is-kind-of-misleading/?utm_term=.baf8963dc623

"Although the study was a damning indictment of the show, it doesn’t apply to those of us trying to lose weight with less extreme measures. There’s a substantial body of research on whether, and how much, your metabolism slows after weight loss, and the “Biggest Loser” study is a definite outlier. No other study shows such a large slowdown over such a long period of time....

The question isn’t whether you burn fewer calories after you lose weight, because you absolutely do. There’s less of you to move around, to pump blood through, and to keep at 98.6 degrees. Smaller people burn fewer calories than larger people. The question is whether your metabolism goes into a mode where it tries to be thrifty, to conserve calories and do all those basic functions using less energy. If it does, it means you have to eat less than someone who is the same weight but didn’t have to drop pounds to get there. Is there a metabolic penalty, in other words, for getting lighter?

Much of the evidence shows that there is some, but the amount varies. And some of the evidence shows none...."

Yoni Freedhoff on advice for sustainable weight loss: http://www.vox.com/2016/5/10/11649210/biggest-loser-weight-loss

These are absolutely awesome! Thank you so much =D Feeling a lot better now.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Basically my mother is terrible when it comes to supporting anyone. She greeted me by saying that losing weight is pointless because she read somewhere that all the biggest losers gained all their weight back because their metabolisms were so use to eating low, the moment they started eating maintenance calories for their new weights, they gained it all back as their metabolisms were permanently slowed down. There for I should give up because *drum roll* Obese people are just meant to be obese. Thanks mum. She ended up sending me this link the next night.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2016/05/03/contestants-on-biggest-loser-regain-weight-due-to-damaged-metabolism-study-finds.html

Haha It's fox news too, so it's totally legit *rolls eyes*

I can't find any real research to back it up, I've found a few silly articles like the fox one but yet again none having any real research, so I'm feeling good about that... but I'd love to see what everyone else has to say on this and what research you can put forward.

I imagine they gained the weight back because they lost the weight in a small amount of time, doing crazy amounts of exercise and eating very little, so they probably didn't learn much about a healthier lifestyle and went back to their old ways, but that's just a guess.

Sounds like your mother and my mother would get along just fine. :disappointed:
  • domesticlydiva
    domesticlydiva Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    From what I understand from "experts" who have written numerous articles about weight loss, losing weight is the result of a series of lifestyle changes that have to be maintained to keep the weight off. If a person is just out to take the weight off using drastic, unrealistic, unsustainable measures such as is the case with Biggest Loser, then the pounds will be regained once a person returns to old, unhealthy eating habits & lack of exercise. Not that I have watched numerous episodes of Biggest Loser, but the few I have seen are extreme to say the least. It is not a healthy, balanced way to lose weight & keep it off. I realize that the stats are not great for people to keep weight off once it is lost, but likely it isn't reappearing for no reason other than bad habits resurfacing. As far as the metabolism part of things, I can't comment on that cause I have no idea, but It takes work to lose the weight & continued workto maintain a healthy weight. Quit working & the weight will be regained.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Is your mum obese?
  • DietVanillaCoke
    Options
    Is your mum obese?

Yes!!! XD She actually didn't feed us right growing up because back in her day being stick thin was considered attractive and she was never thin. So she would starve us, call us "solid girls" and we grew up with a very bad understanding of food and nutrition. My sister was hospitalized many times as she developed eating disorders and spent a lot of her life under 100lbs. I went the other way and gained a lot the moment i moved out. I really wish they taught nutrition in schools here.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I read a study on Biggest Loser Competitors and what they do on the show is not healthy or sustainable and causes issues with ED's and severe metabolic damage due to the VLCD and extreme amounts of exercise.

In the "real world", weight loss is achievable and is sustainable if you want it enough.
  • DietVanillaCoke
    Options
    If you follow the success threads on MFP you'll find alot of people that were obese, lost the weight, and have kept it off. They have all changed their lifestyles though. They exercise alot, even if only walking, and watch what they eat, even if not counting. They also give themselves a 5 lb "window". If they go over those 5 lbs they go back to basics--logging everything. There are also alot of pics. I find it an inspiration--you and your mom might too.

I find them inspirational, it's one of the many reasons I use MFP. =)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Not sure I should even be in this conversation because I was barely getting my toe wet in the overweight category twice in my life, during pregnancy and menopause, but it seems to me that there is obvious evidence that as we lose weight, our calorie intake must go down. Even though that is true, I think that by reverse dieting and time, the situation of having to eat less in maintenance may shift toward being able to eat more calories. I say it because of the feeling that comes once the weight is lost and then beginning to eat more in maintenance, then of the increased energy, it all adds up to a body that will tend to move more and as long as calories are logged and people stay accountable to eat in line with TDEE things won't be too bad after all.

Best wishes batteling the negatives that are bringing you down! There might even be ideas here that will help your Mom lose her fears that obesity is inevitable for life. :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    There are legitimate studies that have shown that to maintain a weight loss, you have to eat fewer calories than someone who's always been at that weight. However, the difference is something minuscule, like 20-50 calories if I remember correctly. The amount varies by how much you lost, how quickly you lost it, and how long you've been maintaining.

Its something that is easily overcome by being active and continuing to watch what you eat. Not a legit reason to remain obese.

Thank you for sharing this!
    TBH 20 to 50 calories is nothing to be afraid about then. Relax and keep on going. I tell myself, "If I quit I'll regret it".

I like it that people make these discussion threads because we can learn from them and dispell any excuses that sometimes pop up on hungry days.

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    There are legitimate studies that have shown that to maintain a weight loss, you have to eat fewer calories than someone who's always been at that weight. However, the difference is something minuscule, like 20-50 calories if I remember correctly. The amount varies by how much you lost, how quickly you lost it, and how long you've been maintaining.

Its something that is easily overcome by being active and continuing to watch what you eat. Not a legit reason to remain obese.

Yep. Lost 50 pounds and maintained for multiple years. I never felt like I need less food to stay my weight than others. In fact I have problems eating enough to gain now.