Supplement advice

Options
So I've been lifting regularly for a while now, and I take creatine pre- and post-workout, and drink a daily whey protein shake. I'm getting a nice new squat rack for Xmas, and just for fun, I'm wanting to go through an intensive 6-week size building "camp" beginning in January. I've been on Bodybuilding.com, reading up on additional supplements that might be beneficial to me.

In addition to my creatine and whey, I'm thinking about picking up glutamine, BCAAs, beta-alanine, and HMB, just for the 6-week "camp" (as well as closely monitoring my diet/protein intake, of course). My question is about timing, given that I'm planning on lifting "heavy" only for six weeks or so (I have a natural propensity to put on weight, and most of the time, my workouts focus on losing fat). The description of beta-alanine, for instance, says that taking the supplement increases carnosine levels in the body by up to 60% within four weeks of beginning the supplement. This leads me to believe that I might want to start taking the beta-alanine four weeks prior to beginning my "camp."

This information has me wondering about the other supplements, as well. Any informed opinions on how soon prior to beginning the 6-week intensive phase I should begin taking the other supplements? Again, opinions are always welcome, but informed opinions (or even just a link to a published article on the subject) are always preferable.

Thanks guys

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    You will get a wide variety of answers and recommendations from people on here but I am going to say, save your money. All you NEED is a calorie surplus, progressive resistance training and sufficient protein. Any other factors are up to you but I would advise that 95% of supplements aren't worth the money.

If you were to invest in anything I would recommend creatine, a multivitamin and whey protein (if you struggle to hit your protein goal).

Also in 6 weeks you aren't really going to gain much muscle or strength so would recommend planning a longer "bulk".
  • rdl81
    rdl81 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the above. You are better off spending the money on decent food and maybe protein, you can add the multi vitamin and maybe some fish oil if you don't eat much oily fish. Also 6 weeks seems short epically if going to revert to fat burning straight after. Whats your goal? If you still have fat to burn why don't you stick with that and then once your more happy with your BF% try and add more "bulk" from there
  • Micah_Johnson
    Micah_Johnson Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. As far as goals are concerned, I'm really just playing. I've always loved lifting heavy weights - it just feels soooo good. But like I said, I put on fat like its nobody's business, so lately I've been operating on a calorie deficit. I've got a Smith-style rack that I never use the Smith bar on (though I do love the pulley system--triceps pushdowns are my second favorite lift). I just use the free weight pegs. With the addition of a nice squat rack after Xmas, I was just going to play around with heavy weights for a few weeks and increase my calorie intake before settling back into a more responsible regimen. So I'm not really training for anything in particular. It's just that heavy weights are like crack to me: not what I need, but it feels so good . . .
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I appreciate the advice. As far as goals are concerned, I'm really just playing. I've always loved lifting heavy weights - it just feels soooo good. But like I said, I put on fat like its nobody's business, so lately I've been operating on a calorie deficit. I've got a Smith-style rack that I never use the Smith bar on (though I do love the pulley system--triceps pushdowns are my second favorite lift). I just use the free weight pegs. With the addition of a nice squat rack after Xmas, I was just going to play around with heavy weights for a few weeks and increase my calorie intake before settling back into a more responsible regimen. So I'm not really training for anything in particular. It's just that heavy weights are like crack to me: not what I need, but it feels so good . . .

If that is the case why don't you eat at maintenance or very slightly above (100-200cals) and try the heavy lifting. Your plan sounds like you are trying to justify eating a tonne of food briefly. My advise is don't as you will just get fat.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

The bold is one thing I would change. You should always set goals and lift with a purpose.

Also, I would recommend dropping most of the supplements. I would only use whey if you struggle to get protein and creatine if you find it helps boost your reps/sets. Also, you don't need creatine pre and post workout. It's provides intra-muscular saturation. So after an induction phase, you only need to take in like 3-5g a day.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Is there some reason you're not "lifting heavy" while in your deficit?
    I have to agree with everything above, think about your goals.
    You're going to make a lot more progress by figuring out what you're actually working toward and a more efficient way to achieve that than 6 weeks of supplements will do for you. Or any amount of supplements for that matter.
    I've gained strength while eating in a deficit short term, and I've improved my body composition while eating at maintenance. But my goal is to be in a deficit as little as possible.
    Supplements really aren't going to do much for you unless you figure out where you're trying to go and get your fat gain in check, which is probably just going to come down to consistent logging.