Right back where I started & very unmotivated

Options
I'm only trying to lose 3-5kg & tone up but after over 100 days I'm pretty much right back where I started. I lost 1.5 kg but now it's back on again. I weigh everything (except when I go to a restaurant) but i struggle to stay within my calories. My workouts have been limited due to calf pain (that's been going on for six months with no answer in sight) but I walk a lot.

I feel useless, the measurements and weight are the same, I can't commit to a regular workout plan due to the calf pain and I really struggle to eat under my calories.

I don't really know what to do? I feel like my motivation has gone.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    What kind of calf pain? You can do quite a bit of exercise that limits calf activity.

What is your deficit that you are shooting for that you can't stick to a diet?

How are you weighing yourself? That isn't all that much weight that you are trying to lose. Weighing errors and water retention could make it seem like the scale hasn't moved much.

It really sounds like you need to calm down a little, put a solid plan together, and just stick to it without any excuses. Kind of like the Nike "Just Do It" slogan...

Stressing over the situation will just make the weight loss harder.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    GauchoMark wrote: »
    What kind of calf pain? You can do quite a bit of exercise that limits calf activity.

What is your deficit that you are shooting for that you can't stick to a diet?

How are you weighing yourself? That isn't all that much weight that you are trying to lose. Weighing errors and water retention could make it seem like the scale hasn't moved much.

It really sounds like you need to calm down a little, put a solid plan together, and just stick to it without any excuses. Kind of like the Nike "Just Do It" slogan...

Stressing over the situation will just make the weight loss harder.

The calf pain is like a shooting pulling pain that feels like a tendon is going to snap. It started when I was running but now is triggered by walking too. I've been to physio and a sports doctor, had a compartment syndrome test (negative) and am currently undergoing more testing. It's had to work out the cause, rest didn't help at all, but I try to limit cardio to the bike and weight train but the weight training can trigger it the next day. It causes swelling in my calves, limping and on a very bad day constant pain.

I used to weigh myself daily which i found useful as I could see the fluctuations and knew what was causing them but I stopped as I was worried I was getting obsessive so I started doing weekly but that makes me anxious as well. Trying to lose 200grams a week so not a huge deficit.

I really struggle with motivation, i consider myself lazy but I try to plan as much as possible. The calf pain has been the biggest struggle as it saps my energy and it's been going on for 6 months with no diagnosis in sight.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track. Don't give up with the doctors trying o figure out the pain.

Maybe it would help to quit/reduce exercising until you figure the calf out. You can lose the weight just from dietary restriction. You can even increase that deficit (double it) to get the weight off quicker, then worry about toning back up once you can exercise better. It might be more mentally satisfying to just get the weight off since the exercise part is frustrating now.
  • Holly23bgs
    Holly23bgs Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Look at why you are having trouble staying under your calorie goal. Is it because its unrealistically low? Is it because you're always still hungry? Is it splurges on "treat" food? If we can figure out the reason you can tackle it.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    maybe going to sound dumb, but could it be a blood clot? I had pain in my calf for a few months, ended up being a blood clot, and only found out after it had moved into my lungs, I though it was sore muscle and dehydration, and doctors thought the same thing
  • TheBostonPops
    TheBostonPops Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Like Gaucho said, take it a step at a time. Every step builds on the other. Build into each thing rather than going into the deep end and stressing out about it! The biggest things you need to do right now, IMO, are 1) forgive yourself for falling off before and let it go. We all falter, we're human! and 2) set a realistic (!) goal and hold yourself to it. Once you hit that goal, even if it's small, you'll feel great and can set a further out target.
  • yasento
    yasento Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Do you know your maintenance calories? If so, what deficit are you aiming for? Make sure you include restaurant meals and cheat meals in your weekly calorie total. Usually these meals are responsible for increasing calorie intake by much more than we realize.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    yasento wrote: »
    Do you know your maintenance calories? If so, what deficit are you aiming for? Make sure you include restaurant meals and cheat meals in your weekly calorie total. Usually these meals are responsible for increasing calorie intake by much more than we realize.

I include everything including the milk in my tea! I'm currently aiming for 1,350 but I get more from the amount of walking I do every day plus exercise.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    hbgs23 wrote: »
    Look at why you are having trouble staying under your calorie goal. Is it because its unrealistically low? Is it because you're always still hungry? Is it splurges on "treat" food? If we can figure out the reason you can tackle it.

It's 1,350 which was set by MFP but I earn more from walking (I wear a Fitbit) and exercising. I'm only 5.4 so I don't think it's too low. I think on my old account though (which is now deleted) I was eating 1,600 and losing weight but I can't really remember. I can't even work out how MFP even gave me that many calories to eat!

I'm a picky eater, I eat very plainly, I don't like cheese or sauces etc but I also get bored of eating the same things and then struggle to find something to eat that isn't high calories. I tried steamed veges, brown rice and beef or chicken for a bit it got to the point where I physically couldn't put it in my mouth any more.
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    I've just changed up my goals a bit and that's allowed me 1,500 calories a day so we'll see how I feel.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend limiting the calories you eat back from exercise too. I eat back 50% or less and it's doing me well.

Best of luck on the calf issues too. Hang in there.
  • shrestan
    shrestan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    TrishSeren wrote: »
    I've just changed up my goals a bit and that's allowed me 1,500 calories a day so we'll see how I feel.

Hi! How does your meals look like? Mind sharing what are you eating to make up for your daily calorie requirement?
  • TrishSeren
    Options
    shrestan wrote: »
    TrishSeren wrote: »

Hi! How does your meals look like? Mind sharing what are you eating to make up for your daily calorie requirement?

Sure my diary is open, but generally it's toast for breakfast with butter (which I weigh and log), then a salad or wrap for lunch (currently but this changes when I get bored) and then dinner is usually meat and veges with some complex carb if it fits in my daily allowance. However my snacks can range from a few crackers, to an apple, to a muffin, or chocolate depending on how I'm feeling but I always log them.