Weighting Salads

I eat a salad everyday containing springmix, tomatoes, carrots, mushrooms, and peppers. But, I don't count the calories in them. But, I do count calories in everything else that goes into the salad? Does anyone else do this?

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    I don't weigh most vegetables, but I do estimate the serving size and log them. The calories in a big salad can add up, plus I pay attention to fiber and the salad for sure contributes to that. Of the items you listed, I could rack up a measurable amount of calories in tomatoes and carrots!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I was never super anal about it, but I did create a salad recipe in my recipe's that I used anytime I had a salad...it was roughly 60 calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Same as above, hit the tare button as I add ingredients and write everything down as I go.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited December 2016
    I weigh everything I put in my salad, mainly because I don't want to get into a habit of omitting foods from my diary just because they're low in calories. Every calorie counts in weight loss, if it goes in my body it goes in my diary.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,979 Member
    I always make the same type of salad at home so I weighed each ingredient once and made my own entry. I do weigh out extras like dressing and croutons each time though.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    I don't see the point in logging if you're only logging selective items.
  • CranstonJ2016
    CranstonJ2016 Posts: 142 Member
    I've eaten enough salads to know roughly what my cal intake is in one. If I add tuna, egg, chicken, or any other meat...i usually weigh those, but I roughly know what a plain salad looks like calorie wise.

To a degree, i consider veggies a freebie...i'm still aware and conscience of their calories, but not overly anal. Veggies higher in calories I'll log...others like spinach, lettuce, cucumber...even tomato..i just estimate the logs.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    I log my daily salad completely - As I have made it pretty much daily I don't weigh each ingredients every day - However I will occasionally audit my eyeballing and weigh the salad out completely again.
    It is a very large lunch salad and it nets around 100cal
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    I log 100 for the lettuce and other vegetables combined then log anything else separately. It's worked well for me.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    I dont
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    I weigh everything I put in the salad. I put my plate/bowl/container on the scale, press 'tare' and then put in my spinach. I log it and press 'tare' again and continue with my other ingredients. It's a process when you first do it, but I use the mobile app and even if I type in the first few letters of 'spinach', the entry comes up and I just adjust the amounts.

Maybe not the biggest deal for spinach or cucumber, but a bigger deal for salad fixings such as avocado, dried fruit, nuts, cheese, and meat (if you add them in).

i do this, but i have a recipe in the recipe builder that includes pretty much everything i put in a salad. if i'm not using a particular ingredient i just put the quantity at .1 gram so that the recipe doesn't delete the ingredient and it's still there the next time. it's really quick now. my chopped salads this week weigh in at 232 calories per (huge) serving. a lot, but definitely not all, of the calories are in the edamame, nuts and feta.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I weigh all the ingredients as I build a salad pretty accurately. Since I pack a big salad just about every day for lunch, I would be way off in my total calorie counts if I didn't log them accurately
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I weigh everything I put in the salad. I put my plate/bowl/container on the scale, press 'tare' and then put in my spinach. I log it and press 'tare' again and continue with my other ingredients. It's a process when you first do it, but I use the mobile app and even if I type in the first few letters of 'spinach', the entry comes up and I just adjust the amounts.

Maybe not the biggest deal for spinach or cucumber, but a bigger deal for salad fixings such as avocado, dried fruit, nuts, cheese, and meat (if you add them in).

i do this, but i have a recipe in the recipe builder that includes pretty much everything i put in a salad. if i'm not using a particular ingredient i just put the quantity at .1 gram so that the recipe doesn't delete the ingredient and it's still there the next time. it's really quick now. my chopped salads this week weigh in at 232 calories per (huge) serving. a lot, but definitely not all, of the calories are in the edamame, nuts and feta.

If you put it in as a meal, you can delete or add based on that day and it won't change the original.