Weight Lifting + Cardio

Options
Hi guys. I need your help determining how much cardio I should be doing to aid to my lifting program. I am a beginner (weights) but been a cardio junkie for a while.

I must add that I have a PT, however, due to circumstances beyond both our control, training is on hold for a few months and the only program I have for guidance is listed below. I'm asking for advice really as I am REALLY lost without him. How many times should I be doing this? What cardio to incorporate? Is the program he gave me efficient? My stats are 213lbs, 5"8 and eating around 1,900 calories. I don't track my exercise calories. Thank you to all who will help xx

Dead Lift - 50kg 5 sets x 8 reps

Squats SUPERSET lunges - 20kg 5 sets x 12 reps. Lunges are body weight and 12 reps per leg.

Military Press - 15kg 5 sets x 10 reps

Slam Ball - 8kg 30 sec work + 30 sec rest x 10 reps.

Upper Body
Deadlift 50kg 5 sets x 8 reps

Bench Press Superset Bend Over Row - 20kg/25kg 5 sets x 10 reps

Military Press Superset Upright Row - 15/12.5kg 4 sets x 12 reps

Lat Pull down Superset Chest Press - 32/20.3kg 4 sets x 12 reps.

Replies

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    You are doing full body in both sets, so I'd say 3x/week with Cardio on alternate days and one day rest. The routine looks fine, just keep incrementally adding weight each session.
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    In general, the amount of cardio you do should be based on (1) your goals and (2) what you enjoy/what makes you feel good. If your primary fitness goal right now is building strength, you definitely don't want to overdo the cardio as it can hamper your body's recovery and limit your strength goals. On the other hand, if your primary goal is to lose body fat then cardio is a great way to increase your deficit to lose weight. With both of these goals, you should consider whether you like the cardio, enjoy doing it, whatever. Don't make yourself miserable if you don't like it because you can certainly maintain a deficit (and therefore lose weight) without cardio, and cardio certainly isn't necessary to make strength gains.

With that being said, I personally do small amounts of cardio (15 - 20 minutes on the elliptical) on lifting days, then more cardio (30 minute cardio dance class) on my off days. I also try to get in a lot of walking. My goal is to maintain/gain muscle and decrease body fat while eating a maintenance level of calories (this is referred to as "recomposition" or a "recomp").

Did your trainer make plans for you to increase the weight or volume of your lifts so that you will make progress? If you stay at the same weight and volume for several months, your progress (from a strength perspective) will eventually plateau and that may not be the best use of your time in the gym. You might consider looking into an established lifting program like Strong Lifts 5x5, Starting Strength, New Rules of Lifting, etc. These programs are appropriate for most people (even a beginner) because they start at a very low weight and use a small set of compound full-body lifts that are easy for people to learn. For example, Strong Lifts includes back squat, shoulder presses, deadlift, bench press and barbell row. That's it. I've been doing it pretty consistently for about a year now and I've seen awesome changes in my body composition and strength. There's a great ladies' group on MFP if you're interested in learning more about it. Check it out here.

Best of luck!
  • Zendrick
    Zendrick Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Yay, I'm doing weight lifting and cardio as well. .. let's be friends
  • CrabbyCancerMama
    CrabbyCancerMama Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I think I'd stick with the set up he has for you 3x a week. I personally alternate upper and lower lifting days but still do cardio everyday (I run 4miles a day)