Post workouts. Are you doing it right?!

Options
jester13
jester13 Posts: 408 Member
Let's here what we put in our bodies when we are done hitting the gym!!!!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    You have rules?

What are they and based on what?
  • beginforthelasttime16
    Options
    Food wise? I almost always enjoy a bowl of cereal. Sometimes the sugary stuff, sometimes the healthier option. It's just what I crave afterwards and it kicks that sweet craving without grabbing the ice cream.

This might not be the best option but it works for me!
  • jester13
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    You have rules?

What are they and based on what?
    Protein and a fast glycemic carb. Are we fueling our bodies the right way. Most skip that carb because we are dieting and only go for the protein
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    I generally work out before breakfast. Breakfast is usually bran cereal, with or without a banana, and a protein shake (whey isolate) along with my daily vitamins.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,709 Member
    Options
    I'd say "right" is relative as what is "right" varies from person to person, but for me just ice cold water with lemon. I have zero appetite after I workout. I need to re-hydrate, cool down, stretch, shower, then I'll have a small snack later.
  • jester13
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    I'd say "right" is relative as what is "right" varies from person to person, but for me just ice cold water with lemon. I have zero appetite after I workout. I need to re-hydrate, cool down, stretch, shower, then I'll have a small snack later.

I say no matter who you are or what your goals it is proven that protein plus a high glycemic carb spikes insulin which the in turn push the protein to the muscle and at the same time restore energy to your muscles.
  • kmorg14
    kmorg14 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Research has shown that the post-gym "window of opportunity" is much greater than previously believed. So the idea of slugging a protein shake immediately after hitting the gym isn't really necessary.
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-5

To the point of the insulin spike, yes spiking the insulin does help to promote muscle growth, but carbohydrates are not necessary to induce this. Protein is just as good at spiking insulin.
    http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/index.php/free-content/free-content/volume-1-issue-7-insulin-and-thinking-better/insulin-an-undeserved-bad-reputation/

This is all not to say that the correct intake of protein and carbs isn't important, just that timing isn't (within reason).
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jester13 wrote: »
    BZAH10 wrote: »

I say no matter who you are or what your goals it is proven that protein plus a high glycemic carb spikes insulin which the in turn push the protein to the muscle and at the same time restore energy to your muscles.

The research would suggest that there may be some benefit if you consume it pre - or post - workout within a 2 hour window, but total intake is still largely more important.

I just eat dinner after I workout.

http://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1550-2783-10-53
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Coke Zero or diet Mt. Dew, whichever one I have in the fridge. Not a fan of eating right after (or before) a workout.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Regarding your original post, I go home from the gym and typically within about 1 hour I eat a mixed macronutrient meal.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Dinner, about 1 hour later.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    BCAAs, L-glutamine, scoop or 2 of protein and half an apple sometimes with pb or pb added to the shake
  • Aw0627
    Aw0627 Posts: 82 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    whatever I have for dinner
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk is one of my favorite post workouts, but sometimes I just go for a steak and a salad.
  • ChampagneBurst
    ChampagneBurst Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I always go for the no sugar low carb protein shake with women's vitamins and minerals.

It's the only thing that gets me going again afterwards. I do endurance cardio and weights for my injury so I get really drained afterward as my calorie/protein intake (I'm only 5'1) goals are pretty small.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I'll have a protein shake within 30 minutes after a workout on days I'm not cooking breakfast. All my workouts are early am and fasted, and either the shake, or breakfast is really refreshing afterwards.
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    jester13 wrote: »
    And hey I'm on here to help as many as I can. You can take my advice or not. But I'm going to try to reach however many I can. Have I done it all right? No. but from my mistakes maybe I can help a few. I have a passion for fitness and I would like to share what I have learn and what has been show to me

You have a passion that must mean you do research and follow people like Alan Aragon and Brad Schofield?