Is working construction considered being active?

Options
My girlfriend works as a steel worker. Some days she does more lifting and things like that and other days she's just caulking all day. So would that make her more sedentary or lightly active. On average her steps 7k-11k

Replies

• marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Definitely not sedentary
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    It might be interesting to find out how many steps she gets in a day.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    That is the next above "lightly active" I think it's "very active".
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    My guess would actually be for active. The days she's lifting and moving a lot, her activity level would probably be classified as very active. Days were she is moving a bit less and not lifting heavy would probably have her at the very least lightly active. So I say the middle and call it active (averaging out the activity so to speak). 10k steps is definitely closer to Active than lightly active or sedentary.

• Nikki10129
    Nikki10129 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Yeah Id definitely go active at minimal, steps for a job like construction aren't going to fully represent the exercise going into the day
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    lsbabi928 wrote: »
    My girlfriend works as a steel worker. Some days she does more lifting and things like that and other days she's just caulking all day. So would that make her more sedentary or lightly active. On average her steps 7k-11k

The chart gives Carpenter as an example of a Very Active person. I'd think a Steel Worker would be very similar.

Sedentary: Spend most of the day sitting (e.g. bank teller, desk job)
    Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
    Very Active: Spend most of the day doing heavy physical activity (e.g. bike messenger, carpenter)