fitbit exercise calories and activity level settings

I just started maintenance and am using a fitbit synced to fitness pal to calculate my calories in vs out. I noticed the fitbit adding exercise calories for day to day running around activities as well as exercise. Should I change my fitness profile settings on fitness pal to sedentary even though I'm active so not to overestimate calories? I don't think I'm understanding how this all works.

Replies

• VanVanDiane
    VanVanDiane Posts: 1,398 Member
    It depend what activity level you're set to. You can set mfp status to sedentary & have Fitbit add extra calories once you get past about 3.5k steps, or set it at somewhat active & it will start adding calories at about 5k steps. As long as you're doing enough steps to get calories added (or have negative adjustments enabled) you 'll be fine.

I started off with mfp set to sedentary and let Fitbit do the amendments from there. I average about 12k steps so generally got about 3-400 calories added per day. I recently changed my status to 'somewhat active' just to get a higher starting calorie count, rather than having as much added in. It's a mental game really - for me, it allowed me to feel less deprived seeing a higher number there at the start of the day, rather than having to earn it. I still do as many steps anyway, so it hasn't made me lazier
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Either set MFP to sedentary and use FitBit calories

Or

Set MFP to active and do not allow calorie adjustment.

I'd go with option 1 as long as it seems to give you reasonable results.
  • dawnda1234
    dawnda1234 Posts: 22 Member
    Thank you! What is negative adjustments exactly? Can I set myself at sedentary and enable negative adjustments?
  • dawnda1234
    Thank you so much. I am 45, 145 pounds. I do an hour of weight training 3 days a week, 40 to 50 minutes of moderate cardio a day and a half hour walk most evenings. Also, I am averaging 16,000-20,000 steps a day. The lightly active setting gives me around 1840 calories + between 600 and 1000 exercise calories a day from the fitbit. Does this sound right or should I up my activity to moderate?
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    dawnda1234 wrote: »
    Thank you so much. I am 45, 145 pounds. I do an hour of weight training 3 days a week, 40 to 50 minutes of moderate cardio a day and a half hour walk most evenings. Also, I am averaging 16,000-20,000 steps a day. The lightly active setting gives me around 1840 calories + between 600 and 1000 exercise calories a day from the fitbit. Does this sound right or should I up my activity to moderate?

I would increase activity to "active" or "very active" with what you're describing. You'll have more cals to start with but smaller adjustments.

How long have you had the FitBit and had it synced with MFP? You said you're maintaining, did you previously lose weight and just now transitioned to maintenance?
  • dawnda1234
    I have lost 120 pounds naturally through diet and exercise. I started maintenance the first November and co time continued to loose 6 pounds because I was freaking out about eating my exercise calories. A friend suggested the fitbit to track calories in vs calories out. I have had it for a week and a half. I also log my food meticulously.
  • WinoGelato
    dawnda1234 wrote: »
    I have lost 120 pounds naturally through diet and exercise. I started maintenance the first November and co time continued to loose 6 pounds because I was freaking out about eating my exercise calories. A friend suggested the fitbit to track calories in vs calories out. I have had it for a week and a half. I also log my food meticulously.

Wow congratulations on such a great loss! Transitioning to maintenance can be a little frightening, but you're right, tools like MFP and FitBit make it a lot easier to understand exactly what you need to do in order to keep that weight off. So the FitBit is relatively new for you? I definitely would recommend giving it a few weeks to sort of adjust to your patterns, but I've found mine to be very accurate, it helped me lose the last 15 lbs and keep off the 30 or so lbs that I lost for the last couple of years. It's reassuring to know that I can eat up to X amount without gaining weight back, and that if I do happen to gain a bit back, I know exactly what I need to do in order to get it back off.

Good luck!
  • sunny_d22
    sunny_d22 Posts: 316 Member
    I'm a brand new Fitbit user. I synced my Fitbit to MFP. I have manually entered my calorie goal into MFP and I don't want the calorie adjustments. I'm set at sedentary. If I change my activity level will that then add less Fitbit exercise calories? I'm at my own entered goal because I'm using my data and am slowly increasing calories as I approach maintenance. I eat 1850 calories a day, am 5'6 and 154 pounds.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yes, definitely go to sedentary and take all the calories it gives you. I used fitbit for 3 years (I now have an apple watch). It worked very well for me.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    I agree with @nxd10. I have MFP set to sedentary with negative adjustments enabled, even though I range from lightly active to active on any given day. I then (usually) eat about half of the calorie adjustment it gives me. I've found it works very well, and I never have to worry on a less active day that I'll eat over my calories because I start out with the lowest amount available.
  • WinoGelato
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I agree with @nxd10. I have MFP set to sedentary with negative adjustments enabled, even though I range from lightly active to active on any given day. I then (usually) eat about half of the calorie adjustment it gives me. I've found it works very well, and I never have to worry on a less active day that I'll eat over my calories because I start out with the lowest amount available.

I think it's just a matter of preference. This OP seemed put off by getting exercise adjustments that weren't truly exercise - changing your activity level to sedentary when she's far from it is going to make that even worse.

I also prefer to use a higher activity level setting for myself that I feel is representative of my consistent numbers, so that I have a higher baseline to begin with but smaller exercise adjustments. I do have negative calories enabled so that if I do have a day where I'm not moving (long road trips or illness are usually the only reasons I don't hit at least 10K steps) then I do get less calories to work with.

I also have seen comments from new FitBit users who waited till the end of the day to "use" their exercise calories, and if someone is set at sedentary and gets big adjustments they may have >500 cals to use and that can be overwhelming. That's another reason I wanted them built into my baseline so that I use the calories for meals throughout the day and not tempted to spend them ALL on ice cream and wine...

• Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »

I think it's just a matter of preference. This OP seemed put off by getting exercise adjustments that weren't truly exercise - changing your activity level to sedentary when she's far from it is going to make that even worse.

I also prefer to use a higher activity level setting for myself that I feel is representative of my consistent numbers, so that I have a higher baseline to begin with but smaller exercise adjustments. I do have negative calories enabled so that if I do have a day where I'm not moving (long road trips or illness are usually the only reasons I don't hit at least 10K steps) then I do get less calories to work with.

I also have seen comments from new FitBit users who waited till the end of the day to "use" their exercise calories, and if someone is set at sedentary and gets big adjustments they may have >500 cals to use and that can be overwhelming. That's another reason I wanted them built into my baseline so that I use the calories for meals throughout the day and not tempted to spend them ALL on ice cream and wine...

Oh, I agree. For me, I don't care about seeing a big adjustment, and I sync my Fitbit throughout my day, so the total adjustment at end of day is never a surprise for me.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member

Oh, I agree. For me, I don't care about seeing a big adjustment, and I sync my Fitbit throughout my day, so the total adjustment at end of day is never a surprise for me.

Same here. I sync my fitbit after every walk :lol:

And like I've said before, if i up my level to lightly active i get an extra 250 calories, i think.. But fitbit takes around 200 away every night no matter how many steps i get, so there's really no point.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,143 Member

And like I've said before, if i up my level to lightly active i get an extra 250 calories, i think.. But fitbit takes around 200 away every night no matter how many steps i get, so there's really no point.

Christine as you know Fitbit gives you BMR for every moment you're inactive; MFP gives you BMR x 1.25 when you're set as sedentary.

So, when you go to sleep at night (or sit on the couch watching TV), you "lose" 0.25xBMR of your positive adjustment for the length of time your Fitbit recorded expenditures are below those MFP is expecting. (0.4 when set as lightly active, 0.6 active and 0.8 when set as very active).

The "EXERCISE" adjustment has nothing to do with exercise and is an accounting adjustment such that your MFP TDEE is equal to your TDEE as measured by Fitbit to the end of day.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    PAV8888 wrote: »

Christine as you know Fitbit gives you BMR for every moment you're inactive; MFP gives you BMR x 1.25 when you're set as sedentary.

So, when you go to sleep at night (or sit on the couch watching TV), you "lose" 0.25xBMR of your positive adjustment for the length of time your Fitbit recorded expenditures are below those MFP is expecting. (0.4 when set as lightly active, 0.6 active and 0.8 when set as very active).

The "EXERCISE" adjustment has nothing to do with exercise and is an accounting adjustment such that your MFP TDEE is equal to your TDEE as measured by Fitbit to the end of day.

I go to bed around 7-8pm most nights so setting it to anything above sedentary just doesn't work for me. Thanks for the explanation Pav :smile:
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Another active user set to sedentary here. I prefer it that way so that if I have less active days, which are more common now that I am employed full time, my adjustments don't feel like I am going backwards. I eat small amounts of food throughout the workday in case I never get out of "sedentary" mode. If things work out, I walk a couple of hours after I get home, then enjoy my extra cals in the evening with my coffee.

As long as your numbers work and keep your weight stable, it's all good. :^)
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    I have my MFP set to 'active', with negative calorie adjustments. I find it a good reminder that I need to move my butt if I actually want a decent dinner!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited December 2016
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10098937/faq-syncing-logging-food-exercise-calorie-adjustments-activity-levels-accuracy/p1

First section touches on why you may prefer one setting over another - second section deals with the math to see what is happening, and how you adjust for it.

Or as @Christine_72 shows - she knows when she goes to bed at such a time, she better be in the green by 200 calories, to actually be on target by midnight.

If you go to bed about the same time - it's not hard to discover.

So then it's a matter of do you plan your day such you don't really require intra-day updates with how much you got left and can eat for meal and snack.
    Or you plan little and need insight as to how much you'll have left come end of day, so more accuracy through the day is better.