Single mom, SoCal, vegan wannabe, YOGA, arthritis and myofascial pain syndrome

boaorhat77
boaorhat77 Posts: 11 Member
edited December 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all!

I am looking for some friends on here who can keep me motivated and possibly become lifelong friends.

I turn 40 in January and am a single mother of a 13 year old. I currently live in Fullerton, CA but I have lived all over the US. I love hiking, yoga, veganism (for the animals), burlesque, dancing, and I used to love beer but I now have chronic health issues that are affected by alcohol so I usually stay clear.

A long time ago, I lost 110 pounds through exercise alone. I loved to exercise - running and heavy weighlifting to be specific. The feeling of going out there on the floor and lifting more than some of the guys was amazing.

I kept the weight off through exercise alone for over a decade. Then, about 4 years ago, I started getting pain in various spots of my body. Since then, my health has declined drastically. I have gained back 40 pounds, and I sometimes find it difficult to get out of bed. I've been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my neck, lower back, left hip, and right knee. I also have something called cervical myofascial pain syndrome, which can send my entire body into agony if I am not careful with my life choices.

The pain is exacerbated by working out and my PT and pain doctor both told me that I had to give up any hope of getting back to the workouts that I used to do. I have found some solace in yoga and swimming, but those have done nothing for keeping my weight off and I have gained 40 of the 110 pounds back. :(:(:( My metabolism has changed from being able to eat anything I want to gaining 5 pounds when I even look at a brownie.

That's why I have decided to get serious HERE. This has to stop NOW. I am nervous because I have never been one to diet or restrict what I eat. But, I have to do something if exercise will no longer help me maintain my weight.

I appreciate friends who are strong, not whiners, motivated, have a sense of humor, but also appreciate human error and the beauty in imperfection.

If anything I have said struck a cord, please friend me!!!