Best weight loss excercise?

Options
Hi

I was wondering which exercise would you recommend to help lose weight? I am heavy so I don't really want to run as it hurts my knees with the weight bearing down on them.

Replies

• red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Check this out:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/975025-in-place-of-a-road-map-short-n-sweet

As the weight comes off (& it will) you may want to check out the "c25k program" as you start to run.
  • lj8576
    lj8576 Posts: 156
    Options
    I am new here but I heard a lot of people do that jillian michaels cd a lot. It sounds like it gets your heart rate up which will help. 30 Day Shred its called
  • chloeobe
    chloeobe Posts: 72
    Options
    I walk for about 5km a day! I have a bad ankle so cant run on it for long so I just walk at every opportunity! Also try the cross trainer at the gym and the bike! Also lift lots of heavy things, strength training is good as it burns fat so will take body fat % down too! Just do anything that you can to generally keep moving, ie take the stairs, leave the car at home, do a work out DVD? 30 DS is great!!

Hope this helps!
  • margie323
    margie323 Posts: 1
    Options
    swimming, aquatic classes
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I am new here but I heard a lot of people do that jillian michaels cd a lot. It sounds like it gets your heart rate up which will help. 30 Day Shred its called

Have to be careful with this. It's pretty high impact, lots of jumping, etc. Some people enjoy it but if she can barely run because of joint pain, I would suggest walking, swimming and weight training first. I've just heard too many people, even in decent shape, be injured doing this video to recommend it to a beginner.

OP - everything counts. Try to fit in short walks during your day and generally try to move more. Watch what you eat and stick to logging. Wish you great success.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    do you have a wii? usually i would do other training but i am just getting back into things. if its crap weather or u dont want to go the gym, its a pretty goodoption for training thats not to strnuous but still works your body. ive been doing the zumba programme. and these a few fitness ones to. also, theres some excellent workout dvds that u can actually download. theres one i just bought youd have to loo up fit chicks transformations. but i bought their dvds and u can download them direct, i did the abs one the other day and it really did give me a good workout. theres plenty out there you can use until you get a bit more confident and fitter.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    do you have a wii? usually i would do other training but i am just getting back into things. if its crap weather or u dont want to go the gym, its a pretty goodoption for training thats not to strnuous but still works your body. ive been doing the zumba programme. and these a few fitness ones to. also, theres some excellent workout dvds that u can actually download. theres one i just bought youd have to loo up fit chicks transformations. but i bought their dvds and u can download them direct, i did the abs one the other day and it really did give me a good workout. theres plenty out there you can use until you get a bit more confident and fitter.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Hi

I was wondering which exercise would you recommend to help lose weight? I am heavy so I don't really want to run as it hurts my knees with the weight bearing down on them.

Best for losing weight is watch calorie intake.

Best for health, whatever exercise you can do. Walking is great, as is swimming, bodyweight exercises and lifting for building up your muscles to tolerate more. As you lose weight you can add in heavier cardio, bike and elliptical is great to start with before you go into running or aerobic exercises.

As for 30day shred: Its safe enough if you take it on your own speed and do the easier version, and dont do it every day.. but at that stage you are better off doing general strength exercises at your own pace rather than trying to follow a DVD (walk, swim, bodyweight) and focus on controling your food intake. When your knees feel strong enough you can go into the jumping and sweating like crazy.. though bodyweight sure can make you sweat if you are really working it ;)

For bodyweight exercise ideas try this link: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ - yes he talks allot but the guide is good to start with. You can replace the jumping jacks with air punches (imagine you are boxing) to get your heartrate up without risking your knee.

Also the Wii: wii fit is excellent to start with, as is EA sports active :)
  • rsum77
    rsum77 Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello all,
  • rsum77
    rsum77 Posts: 30
    Options
    Sorry something up with the computer. Anyway. I have been walking about 3 miles a day. 30 minutes each time. It seems to be working for me and I have had back surgery. I need to loose the 100 pounds I put on thoughout the years. Walking is good. Also upload a pedometer. I measures how long you walk and how many calories you burned. It has been my best friend while walking on a daily basis. Good Luck!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Sorry something up with the computer. Anyway. I have been walking about 3 miles a day. 30 minutes each time. It seems to be working for me and I have had back surgery. I need to loose the 100 pounds I put on thoughout the years. Walking is good. Also upload a pedometer. I measures how long you walk and how many calories you burned. It has been my best friend while walking on a daily basis. Good Luck!

if you have a smart phone, endomondo is a great app that can help you track your walks, distance, etc. I used it with my heart rate monitor and the calorie burn was pretty much the same. You can upgrade for more options but the basic version is just fine.
  • Sierra_christine89
    Sierra_christine89 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    You don't have to run, but you could try walking. :)
    If that hurts your knees as well trying cycling? I know my dad has pretty bad knees and cycling is the only exercise he seems to be able to do without hurting his joints.
    If you're wanting to lose weight any cardio exercises are beneficial! :)
    Just get moving throughout the day. Dance while cooking?
    Do punches? I know thats a good cardio workout. Not very hard on your knees, it works your arms, and you're getting your heart rate up.
    If you feel up to it after a while add some weights. I use 5 lb. dumbbells when punching.

You'll feel the burn! :) Best of luck!!
  • Oneal77
    Oneal77 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, your absolutely right! When you run, its hard on the legs if you are not already toned. I would suggest doing work outs on your back. There are several workouts you can do like this. A popular on is the bicycle work out. There are articles you can read, videos you can watch, and information on healthy foods at www.uncommonwebshop.com. Just click on weight loss. Good luck!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi

Not sure what "heavy" is.

I'm going to guess that a change in your diet and making sure you're at a caloric deficit will help you just as much as exercise.

So, Caloric deficit + Whatever exercise program you'll stay with should = success.

IMHO, the program should incorporate cardio along with strength training for best results.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Hi, your absolutely right! When you run, its hard on the legs if you are not already toned.

Que?
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time running when I started. I started with Zumba and other dance games on my Wii/Kinect, graduated to actual zumba class, sometimes I elliptical which is an awesome workout if you are heavier and worried about the impact of running. And of course weight lifting. If you don't have a gym membership, then walking is where to start. Anything you can do to increase your exercise in your activities of daily living is going to burn more calories, but try to dedicate at least 1/2 an hour 6 days a week to exercise.
  • eowynmn
    eowynmn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Ok I was just noticing that you only have 23 lbs to lose. That' should not be too heavy to run (for instance I'm 230 and I run) - you may have other knee issues then, and you should talk to a physician about what activity is best.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Ahem... **** running, I'm fit, but I hate it. lol Yes you're a woman, but you don't need to become a Nike commercial just to get fit. Try the eliptical, or a Zumba class, or anything else that you might like that is Cardio. Cardio is ultimately the most bang for your buck though.

Also, if you're up to it, look into HIIT training. Absolutely the most bang for your buck, but HIIT is truely hard work if done properly (like, possibly vomiting in your mouth hard), but it really is great for you, and it's not bunk.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    So, Caloric deficit + Whatever exercise program you'll stay with should = success.

IMHO, the program should incorporate cardio along with strength training for best results.

This exactly. For now, your exercise may be simply walking. Later you might wish to incorporate running, group classes, and strength training. Any movement is awesome; weight loss comes from the deficit you create by ensuring you eat less than your body has burned over the course of the day/week/month.