Weight-Gain after Wisdom Teeth Extraction?

On Sunday, I was about 117.8lbs--I've been hovering between 117 and 118.5 for a couple weeks after a couple of days of (what felt like) going off-track as I was spending the weekend with my boyfriend and his family after he graduated from college last week.

Monday, I got all 4 wisdom teeth removed.

I've been drinking enough water/fluids; I've been trying to be very careful about not taking in too many more Calories than I need to. I haven't really exercised, but compared to that first day, I've been steadily getting more and more activity throughout the day. I'm not used to sitting around at all--it drives me crazy. And before last weekend, I had been exercising 5-6 days a week. So it's been about a whole week since having any activity.

On another note, I was *supposed* to ovulate this weekend, and based on the past tracking I've done, I usually temporarily gain a bit of water weight/bloat during this time. No more than a pound or two. And it goes away within a couple of days after I supposedly ovulate.

Today, the scale says I've gained almost 3lbs since Sunday.
Not eating too much, and certainly not enough ((10,500 Calories worth) to gain an excess of 3 lbs.

Is this because of inflammation from the tooth extraction? I've had some swelling, but not as much as I've seen some other people get. What else could it be from, and how long can I expect to wait until this garbage goes away?

I'm already on the smaller side, and it's taken me *forever* just to get to 117, and it ticks me off to think that I've been set back so quickly for seemingly no reason at all.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    It's normal to fluctuate 3-5 pounds on any given day. You have not had a set back. You're normal. It will likely go back down in a few days. If you had general anesthesia for your wisdom teeth, it can affect your body for while. Plus, you've listed several other reasons that can contribute to fluctuations, including ovulation, going off track for a few days, change in exercise routine, etc. Don't stress out, just keep following your plan.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    I agree with lorrpb, normal variation can be 3-5 lb different. So much happening, try to forget weighing yourself daily and follow your usual dietary schedule till after the weekend, then you should find all is well. I hope you can get back to your usual activity soon.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    I had wisdom teeth removal at age 33 and actually lost 6-7 lbs because it was traumatic enough that I couldn't eat much for 2 weeks. I tried to have a lot of bananas, avocados, steamed veggies like carrots, cottage cheese, and coconut milk ice cream.

If you had anesthesia, know that constipation is a common side effect. That cam easily lead to a rapid uptick that goes away after a few days.