Doing the math

Options
I figure it has been about 23 years that I have been slowly gaining weight and have gotten to the place I am now. If I were to take 23 years to reverse the process and get back to my goal weight, it would require me to have a 20 calorie deficit every day. If I were to do it ten times faster than that, I could do a calorie deficit of 200 per day and achieve my goal in 2.3 years. I just found this a comforting thought because it seems so doable.

Replies

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to think about it. You can totally do this!
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    That's a great way to look at things. Best of luck to you :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    With regular exercise coupled with a 250-500 calorie deficit it likely won't take you 2.3 years at all, cut that in half or less. Bear that in mind. ;)
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    I take from that you are looking at losing roughly 46 pounds in weight. The nice thing is that is a very low loss strategy but you can actually lose a bit faster. If that is your goal and you target 1lb per week (there will be variances) it should take you about a year or so. Of course there are a lot of other factors there. It's not quite that simple mathematically but it is still doable.
  • vanmep
    vanmep Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    With regular exercise coupled with a 250-500 calorie deficit it likely won't take you 2.3 years at all, cut that in half or less. Bear that in mind. ;)

It actually doesn't bother me to think of it taking 2.3 years. I feel like my goal is to change my life in a sustainable way. When I think of a 500 calorie deficit it feels overwhelming. When I think of 200 it seems easy. I feel like there are a fair number of people on MFP who are intent on losing 20 pounds in the next three weeks and I just wanted to represent a different way of thinking as well. :smiley:

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I like how you framed this in terms of how slowly you gained it and how much quicker you can lose it - really puts it in perspective.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    vanmep wrote: »
    It actually doesn't bother me to think of it taking 2.3 years. I feel like my goal is to change my life in a sustainable way. When I think of a 500 calorie deficit it feels overwhelming. When I think of 200 it seems easy. I feel like there are a fair number of people on MFP who are intent on losing 20 pounds in the next three weeks and I just wanted to represent a different way of thinking as well. :smiley:

That's a great attitude. I agree with you. I, however, lost my weight faster, but to do it I adopted a fitness program that I felt good about continuing permanently (albeit a little less often in the end). I figure that most people that fail, lose the weight using a combination of CICO and Exercise, then when they hit their goal, they drop it all and go back to old habits. They end up back here in six months to a year with all the weight re-gained. I figure that lack of exercise and mobility in general along with poor eating habits over 20 years is what got me where I was. So for the next 50 years I intend to not make that mistake. I started out at a 1.5-2lb a week deficit, and added six days a week of exercise. Actually I started with 7 days a week exercise but that was a mistake I won't repeat, I ended up injured.. a different story for another time. Anyway, I kept up that exercise regimen throughout my loss, and on into maintenance for 5-6 months while doing recomp. I've recently adjusted down to 5 days a week but also adjusted my calories down slightly to compensate. I eventually intend to drop to 4 days a week or 3 days for the permanent future, but could probably handle 5 for a few years without an issue.

Losing weight slower is not a bad thing, it's more natural in fact, just don't let yourself stray along the way too badly. Sometimes not seeing results regularly or fast enough can discourage some people.