Maintaining weight but eating too many "bad" carbs

Options

Replies

• jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options

There is nothing inherently harmful about carbs.

There are medical reasons to avoid them (diabetes, and the cravings triggered cause you to eat enough carbs that you are skipping other essential nutrients in order to stay within your calorie limit, as two examples).

There are quality of life reasons to avoid them (because you don't like the way you feel when you eat carbs, and because you have identified carbs as a trigger for overeating - or similar things that make it harder to eat the way you want to, as two examples).

As to what to do about it - if you have decided (for whatever reasons) that simple carbs are incompatible with your life, don't start the cycle. Don't eat the cookie or small pita.

For me, sugar triggers cravings - as do certain fats (bacon, for one) - as does the lack of grain-based complex carbs in my diet. I just don't ever eat sugar or the fats I know cause cravings without being very intentional about it so that I can avoid blindly giving in to the cravings that will follow. Can't do anything about the lack of grain-based complex carbs, since grain-based complex carbs are incompatible with my metabolism (diabetes). So I always have to be conscious of cravings because I don't have the grain-based complex carbs I need to stave them off.

Not sure what else you're looking for - other than perhaps the argument that always follows when someone mentions carb addiction or "bad/wrong" carbs.[/quote]

This. Perfect. Exactly how/why I feel as I do. Don't start even with a little thing. And it's that simple, so thank you. Sometimes you just can't see the forest for the trees and I apparently wasn't anywhere near something this easy. Got it! Thanks so much!
  • PennWalker
    PennWalker Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    wal
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I have been maintaining my weight for 2.5 years. It has been relatively easy, and healthy eating is just a natural for me. However, for the past few weeks, I have set up my carb craving again ... I totally am addicted. When they talk about that carb addiction, my name is right there in the definition! I am maintaining my same weight; I log and I count and my exercise is still the same. I have not gained more than a lb. if that. But I find myself eating more things like white bread and cookies and it is daily. It may be only 1 cookie or only 1 small pita, but I know it is setting me off. Advice, anyone?

If your life is better without certain foods, for health reasons or because you can't control yourself around those foods, then I would stop eating them. I can't buy Greek yogurt. If they are in the fridge I will eat all of them right now, ugh.

Maybe add some treats, new food, new spice, more fat like avocado or almonds, so you have something new to look forward to with your meals and snacks. Go for a walk! Set up a new goal so you have something else to think about.
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I understand that you want to moderate carbs to avoid carb cravings, but I'd also ask whether the carbs are driving down other macros lower than ideal for you. I'm asking this for two reasons:
    1. I found my evening carb cravings reduced (early in the loss process) if I got plenty of protein, especially at breakfast, but also through the day. Protein is more satiating for some people, fats for others, carbs for yet others; while, as you report, carbs make some people crave more carbs. So, cravings can happen for individuals for a lot of reasons. I wonder whether your eating more carbs, within your same calorie goal, could have driven out some other foods that are more satiating for you?i
    2. It's all very well to say that "carbs are not evil" (and I agree they aren't), but if the carb calories are driving out protein, fats, higher-fiber, or more micronutrient-rich foods, your eating could be moving overall in a less nutritious direction, which (from your comments) I'd infer you wouldn't want.

Your second point is exactly my concern. Thanks for putting it so well. Thank all of you for your help. I know what to do.
  • zorander6
    zorander6 Posts: 2,711 Member
    Options
    The only bad carb is the carb not eaten...............ok that doesn't work as well but if you are only eating 1 serving per day I'd honestly not stress it. Calculate it in. Now if you are only eating cookies I'd take a hard look at what you are eating.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It's cold. I've been starving. Eating fatty protein has really helped me from shoving sugar and potatoes in my mouth. Good luck.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    It's cold. I've been starving. Eating fatty protein has really helped me from shoving sugar and potatoes in my mouth. Good luck.

Sugar and potatoes seems like an odd combination :P
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I swear with the onset of subzero temps and endless snowfall days my body is hyperphagic and wanting me to consider a several month hibernation. It's been hard to resist, but so far I'm maintaining. It's not just carbs I want, any food will do, but cookies and chocolate would be heaven. Logging all my intake is critical right now because I've had a few f***it days and I know where that will take me and I'm not going there.
  • allym979
    allym979 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I find that keeping those things in the house makes it always a temptation. Limit the amount of carbs you keep around until you kick the craving maybe!
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining my weight for 2.5 years. It has been relatively easy, and healthy eating is just a natural for me. However, for the past few weeks, I have set up my carb craving again ... I totally am addicted. When they talk about that carb addiction, my name is right there in the definition! I am maintaining my same weight; I log and I count and my exercise is still the same. I have not gained more than a lb. if that. But I find myself eating more things like white bread and cookies and it is daily. It may be only 1 cookie or only 1 small pita, but I know it is setting me off. Advice, anyone?
    I like the Sandwich Skinny and Flatout bread, helps me get my fiber in. I have one of them mostly everyday and don't have any problem.
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    400 calories of carbs will tend to stimulate more hunger than 400 calories of protein or fat.

If the hunger difference does not cause you to eat extra calories, then then you have good calorie control.
  • myfitnesspale3
    Options
    lowfat and fat-free processed foods tend to make Americans fatter.

Lowfat sounds good but dietary fat does not make you fat.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,555 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs, to me, when not whole grain, are simply sugar or convert to sugar. They aren't the same as complex carbs, which I generally try to eat. I do believe that there is sugar addiction and, for me, at least, it is real and my consumption of this stuff continues because of it. It is good to hear you say that if I am counting it in, I am probably fine. But I guess I was not really clear. I apologize. What I didn't say is that sugar, in any form, is something I have always avoided because I just don't find it fits with my healthy eating. I usually am very strict about whole grains only, so this is out of character for me. And it seems to be continuing, even tho' it's a few weeks.
    Complex carbs convert to sugar too. In fact ANY CARB does. If you're burning fuel from exercising and maintaining your weight, then I see no problem.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    lowfat and fat-free processed foods tend to make Americans fatter.

Lowfat sounds good but dietary fat does not make you fat.

I'll agree that fat on it's own does not make people fat - too many calories does.

But "lowfat and fat-free processed foods tend to make Americans fatter." is absurd. Any food will make you fatter if you eat enough of it. And are lowfat and fat-free foods ok for Canadians since it's just Americans that get fatter eating them?

All of this...
  • myfitnesspale3
    Options
    low-fat manufactured foods usually have fat purposefully reduced. Reducing fat often decreases its taste appeal. Food manufacturers often add sugars to increase the taste appeal. It is no coincidence that increasing sugar content of low-fat foods, increases the carb content which spikes blood glucose higher than fatty foods, which then spikes insulin, which crushes blood glucose, which stimulates hunger more than fatty foods. When consumers eat more carbs/low-fat foods to address the increased hunger then low-fat manufacturers get to sell higher volumes and consumers tend to eat more low-fat calories because hunger level is higher than it was for fatty foods.

That's how low-fat foods tend to make you fatter.