Gym membership or home gym?

Options
Two months in now on diet and about 3 weeks of weekly exercise. I have been using a Paloton bike and doing their spin classes now and loving it. I feel like I am ready to start working in some strength training days and mix up my cardio. I have the space to set up a home gym and dont mind spending the $ to do it. However I have no training on how to properly lift and never have done a strength program before. I see plenty of "beginner" weight training plans on line but dont understand all the terminology for the exercises. Best to join a local gym and get a trainer and use their gear? I have two gyms within walking distance of my work.

Replies

• sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    Gym - I find them much more motivating.

I see a lot of people on here recommending Strong Lifts 5x5 as a program.
  • kejw08
    kejw08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I much prefer to workout at home. Plus I'm more likely to do it because I can't make excuses (bad weather,etc, etc) for not leaving the house. Figure out what you would prefer and be more likely to do and go from there.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I lift in the gym for the simple fact that I don't have room in my house...and even if I did, I'd never be able to put together the range of equipment I use and have access to at the gym. On top of that, there are just too many distractions at home...the gym gives me my "me" time.

Getting a trainer at the gym is one way to go about learning...YouTube videos are another...also, some programs like the New Rules programs going into quite a bit of detail in regards to describing the various lifts used in the program and how to perform them. Really, just depends on what you're most comfortable with.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the gym. The variety of free weights there are something I could never afford, I like to incorporate the weight machines, and there are less distractions. I also find being around other folks who are working out motivates me to push myself farther than if I were home alone.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    helocat wrote: »
    Two months in now on diet and about 3 weeks of weekly exercise. I have been using a Paloton bike and doing their spin classes now and loving it. I feel like I am ready to start working in some strength training days and mix up my cardio. I have the space to set up a home gym and dont mind spending the $ to do it. However I have no training on how to properly lift and never have done a strength program before. I see plenty of "beginner" weight training plans on line but dont understand all the terminology for the exercises. Best to join a local gym and get a trainer and use their gear? I have two gyms within walking distance of my work.

Personal preference as to where to workout; I prefer home. You sound like you'd work better by starting at the gym, learning the basics, getting your form down and finding a solid program. Then transition to home if you think you'd prefer that.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Personally, I prefer the gym. The variety of free weights there are something I could never afford, I like to incorporate the weight machines, and there are less distractions. I also find being around other folks who are working out motivates me to push myself farther than if I were home alone.

^^This. Especially if you have a gym near your job. Go visit each one - they should give you at least a day pass for free and see what the atmosphere is like at the time you'll be going. And spend the money on a trainer for at least a few sessions - perhaps even observe them with other clients and at the very least talk to them before about your goals and their philosophy. I've seen awesome trainers at my gym and a few who are more interested in talking about their weekend and looking at their phone.
  • dtcjem
    dtcjem Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am a home type person. For me it is easier to get up and walk to the basement, workout then go to work. It eliminates excuses for me and cuts out the time back and forth to the gym. I have done both, but for me most consistent at home.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    If you're serious about lifting, spend the money that you would otherwise spend on a gym membership on building your home gym. That's what I did and I don't regret it.

I "invested" about $5k in my home gym and cardio equipment over time (at least 1/2 of which is fully recoverable if I decided to sell it all) and I would have spent much more than that over the years in gym memberships.

I never spent any money on a trainer. Just "learned" on my own by reading books and watching videos. Of course, I made mistakes in the process but who doesn't? However, this doesn't meant it wouldn't be worth the money for you to hire a trainer but you don't need a gym membership to do that.

Some independent trainers will make home visits or have home gyms of their own (or an arrangement w/a commercial gym where you don't need to be a member) where you can learn what you need to learn w/o the need to pay for a gym membership.

Otherwise, just try out the gyms near you on a free pass as suggested and go from there. At the very least, some time spent working out at a public gym can be useful in helping you determine what equipment you need/want in your home gym and you can make use of their trainers and other facilities as well.

Good luck!

• pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "That's what I did and I don't regret it. I have about $5k "invested" in my home gym and cardio equipment (at least 1/2 of which is fully recoverable if I decided to sell it all) and I would have spent much more than that over the years in gym memberships."

My gym membership =$25 per month including taxes and a yearly maintenance charge.
    $5,000/25= 200 months/ 12= 16.66 years. It'll take 16+ years to recoup the $5K "invested".

This was the math I did in joining a gym in lieu of getting a good treadmill or elliptical trainer.

The gym is cheaper for the first 16 years, not considering maintenance on your own equipment, has a far greater variety of equipment than I could afford and has a social element to it.

Not faulting anyone who wants their own gym and equipment, more power to ya, the flexibility to use it when and how you want, I get it. I found the gym to be cheaper, offering a greater variety of stuff.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    @pondee629: You ignored the part where I said that "at least 1/2 of [the estimated $5k cost of the equipment] is fully recoverable if I decide to sell it all."

If you want to quibble about the numbers, truth is I could probably recover all of that amount, if I'm patient, because I bought most of it used at a substantial discount vs retail. So, my net cost for the equipment very well could end up being ZERO.

Another point is that to set up a basic hone gym wouldn't cost more than $1k. My gym is FAR beyond basic.

On top of that $25/mo is an extremely low gym membership rate and you generally get what you pay for.

I use to belong to a $25/mo gym and it was inadequately equipped. No free weights, some machines and most cardio which is what i used it for b4 i bought my own spin bike and rower.

I also belonged to a $60/mo and a $150/mo gym, which offered better equipment and more services for the extra cost. But, no way, was I going to continue paying that much for a gym membership with nothing to show for it after the membership expired.

So, I think that your economic "analysis" is specious. Everyone's economic circumstsances are different and a decision that does not make monetary sense to you may be perfectly acceptable to others.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    I prefer gym mostly because i get a free gym membership with my job.
    But also, I need the social aspect of a gym.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Really depends on where you are more likely to follow through on actually doing the exercises.
  • lizzyh207
    lizzyh207 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I prefer the gym as well. I just don't find the same amount of motivation at home. Even when I cant make it to the gym for whatever reason I still don't workout at home. I don't have the space and this time of year I'm not going for any walks/runs outside.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm not the most active person on the forum but I always see these question. The best advice I can give you is trial and error. What I mean is you find what works for you and what doesn't. List your pros and cons. I personally like working out at home bc it is in and out. I get it done faster. There is no travel time. However, that is just me.

Find what works for you.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    @pondee629: You ignored the part where I said that "at least 1/2 of [the estimated $5k cost of the equipment] is fully recoverable if I decide to sell it all."

If you want to quibble about the numbers, truth is I could probably recover all of that amount, if I'm patient, because I bought most of it used at a substantial discount vs retail. So, my net cost for the equipment very well could end up being ZERO.

Another point is that to set up a basic hone gym wouldn't cost more than $1k. My gym is FAR beyond basic.

On top of that $25/mo is an extremely low gym membership rate and you generally get what you pay for.

I use to belong to a $25/mo gym and it was inadequately equipped. No free weights, some machines and most cardio which is what i used it for b4 i bought my own spin bike and rower.

I also belonged to a $60/mo and a $150/mo gym, which offered better equipment and more services for the extra cost. But, no way, was I going to continue paying that much for a gym membership with nothing to show for it after the membership expired.

So, I think that your economic "analysis" is specious. Everyone's economic circumstsances are different and a decision that does not make monetary sense to you may be perfectly acceptable to others.

Sorry you're experience has been so poor. The gym I attend has more cardio machines (all with personal TV screens) than actually needed. At no time do I not find several not in use. The free weight section has barbells and dumbbells from five pounds to a small house. I would never think I'm lifting anywhere near that amount. 400#s can easily be assembled. (I aint doing that, but it can be, and is, done). There are weight machines galore and, from my observation from the cardio section, there is hardly a wait for anyone using them. They have a section for stretching, and body weight routines, a heavy bag for punching, a cardio section in a dark room with a movie playing and a separate class room for classes. There is a smoothie bar, for those interested, day care/child watching for those in need of same, and trainers readily available, for their fee, of course.

Again, sorry your experience is so bad. My costs are more than reasonable, the gym better supplied than I could possibly want. So, I think your criticism is unfounded and uninformed. But thank for your input.

BTW $2500/$25 still is 8+ years.
  • helocat
    helocat Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Good feedback everyone thank you. I think the local Gym membership and a trainer for a few months makes since. If I get it down I can then put some equipment in my home. The Gym I am thinking of is only one block away from my work, I can just walk there.
  • amara_84
    amara_84 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    We have a home gym. We have weights, a treadmill and weight bench. We also have a TV with Amazon prime/ Roku service up and a laptop that has body beast (first him) and T25 for me. I went to several gyms and hated them, I always felt judged and overwhelmed by the other people plus I had to fight over the TV. I'm actually more motivated and have only missed 1 day of working out for the last 6 months due to a migraine rather than the many I missed due to no childcare or bad weather.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't build a home gym before joining one and finding out if I like it while learning good form

Personally I wouldn't build a home gym at all...I like the separation and I find it motivating to go to a public gym
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sued0nim wrote: »
    I wouldn't build a home gym before joining one and finding out if I like it while learning good form

This.

I didn't buy my home gym equipment until I knew I was going to stick with the program and was sick of battling people for the one and only squat rack. There are things I miss about commercial gyms (cable rig, for one), but everything I need I have at home and my gym is never closed.