My daughter scoffed at...

Options
leanjogreen18
leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
edited December 2016 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
my 125 lb goal weight.

I'm 5'4" 50 and I have 75 lbs to still lose. She seemed to indicate that my goal weight was way too low for me. It's in the middle of the bmi chart and I haven't weighed that since I was in my early 30s. She thinks at my age I would have trouble getting down that low and suggested I set it closer to the upper bmi her recommendation was 140.

If it matters my daughter is 5'5 approx 120 and a marathoner and does crossfit. She doesn't count calories just watches her weight with a 5 lb range.

Is she right is 125 an unrealistic goal for my age?

ETA - she wasn't mean about it just sincerely concerned that I have my expectations up too high.

Replies

• graceanthony19
    graceanthony19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Its really what feels best for you. My 'normal' BMI says I can go as low as 115!!! I would look horrible at 115. I know that, for me, I start to not like how it looks once I get any lower than about 135.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well, you have a long way to go...and I think she's just concerned that you may get discouraged if you set your sights too high. It's harder to lose weight as we...well, mature...but impossible, no.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's unrealistic. Just be open to the idea that as you approach it, you may feel content elsewhere. Personally, my goal is the top of my BMI, but I intend to be fluid with it. Where ever you feel comfortable, sounds about right.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Not unrealistic. It depends on your body as well. I'm 5'4" and feel super tiny around 128. I'm 148 at the moment and think that looks alright too. You can decide as you go.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,014 Member
    Options
    I'm 48, 5'4.75" and 128. My goal was actually 135 but I unintentionally have gone lower and I don't think it is too low. I don't think your goal is unrealistic. But like others have said you may change it as you go. If you really like how you look and feel at 140 then you might want to stay there. But if you want to go to 125 then there is no reason you can't achieve that.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    You just might not like it when you arrive at 125. The good news is you can gain back if you prefer to do so. The way our bodies change sometimes means we may like our weight of 30 years ago less on our older frame. Just take it as you go. You may arrive at 130 or greater and feel that it looks and feels better than 125. Time will tell.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    At 5'4", 125 is a healthy weight. Americans tend to think that healthy is too little. Maybe it's just projection.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    At 5'4", 125 is a healthy weight. Americans tend to think that healthy is too little. Maybe it's just projection.

She doesn't disagree its a healthy weight, she thinks as a 50 yr old with 75 more lbs to lose that its an unrealistic goal. But as some have mentioned here it is not so I'm still shooting for it:).
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Not unrealistic at all. I am now entering the middle part of my BMI. I am 48 and 1.60m (about 5"3)
    I am taking the slow route and it has taken me nearly 3 years to get here. Conscious choice, it does not matter to me that it takes longer. I enjoy the ride.
    I adjusted my goal weight several times. I am now on my fourth goal. Working my way down into effectively uncharted territory - I am now at a weight that I was at 18. Not been lower than that as an adult.

What weight it right for you is for you to decide - not anybody else. It may be out of concern, but chances are she did not know you really at your goal weight and therefore has no insight as to why that point may be important to you