Protein!

Options
If i dont meet my protein requirements will i lose all of my gains? im currently 130 pounds how much protein is the minimum i should aim for to maintain mass?

Replies

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    No you'll be fine. You should aim for 0.8g/lb approximately which is about 100g for your weight.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Along with ^ advice, following a progressive overload resistance program will help maintain muscle mass. And if you dont' always hit protein, that's fine, but try to not make that a consistent thing while you are losing weight.
  • lilpedro13
    lilpedro13 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    Along with ^ advice, following a progressive overload resistance program will help maintain muscle mass. And if you dont' always hit protein, that's fine, but try to not make that a consistent thing while you are losing weight.

so you are saying if i just keep lifting i will maintain, even if i dont meet my goal some days?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Options
    lilpedro13 wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »

so you are saying if i just keep lifting i will maintain, even if i dont meet my goal some days?

If your force yourself to get progressively stronger, then there is a good chance that you will maintain most of your lean body mass.

A few bad days won't harm anything.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Your biggest enemy to muscle loss is Calories more so than Protein although .8 grams is a good Number it is the Maximum Proven number- you would probably be just as good with .6 or even .5 per Body pound I like the 100 grams said above... You have to feed your body to keep Muscle-- carbs Fat and of course Protein..
  • KickboxFanatic
    KickboxFanatic Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You'll want to base your protein intake on your lean body mass not your entire body weight. If you are 130 lbs and 25% body fat (just throwing in a number, recomputed at your own body fat) then your lean body mass is 97.5 which would put your .8g/lb at 78g.