2017 Adopt a Noob Discussion

Alex
Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
edited August 2017 in Getting Started
Welcome to the 2017 Adopt-a-Noob Discussion!

This thread is dedicated to those MFP members that would like to volunteer their time to mentor or adopt a new comer to MFP; with the high volume that occurs in the beginning of the year, this will be an easy way for new members to view profiles of members to friend and lean on for advice, guidance or direction.

For those who participated in the Adopt-a-Noob discussion the last two years - giant thanks for your willingness to give back and support others on their path. If you have recently posted in the original discussion, or volunteered last year and have bandwidth again, please be sure to re-post here.

Mentors

We will maintain a list of forum members (in this post) of all the members that would like to become a mentor or volunteer their time. We suggest that you post some background (essentially a short profile) on yourself to give the new members some prior knowledge. If at any time, you want to revise your post, please send an update to @Alex, @Nova or @Betty, and we will alter your original post as soon as we are able.

Also, if you see new members posting in this topic, please feel free to reach out to them. In fact its encouraged, we all know lots of noobs are going to post in this discussion thinking that is how they get a mentor. We will encourage them to reach out to you, but let's help everyone out and have the folks volunteering to adopt a noob reach out to posters as well.

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or send a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full. 2015 discussion here

Thank you for your support!

P.S. - please follow the rules. All thread hijacking will be followed by a strike as it violates the rules. If you don't understand the rules, please see below.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Adopt a Noob Volunteer's
(MFP Staff will update this section as people throw their hat in to adopt noobs for the new year)

AdamAthletic
adammeynell86
adipace815
aelunyu
atombod
AJ_G
apullum
AverageJoeFit
@BeverlyMarsh1986
BrandNewMan1970
brdnw
briohne128
cabwj
cathipa
chapiano
ChrissyC1985
clairew931
cnbbnc
CyclingRoadie6
DarrelBirkett
Djproulx
DoriLat
EbonyDahlia
edixon127
eluvscats
emilyb117
Evamutt
Fairlieboy
Fitgirllife72
GhostGirlE
hamsammy67
JstTheWayIam
joemama68
Justin741
KayLee_D
Kullerva
lag5140
LarryRacesBikes
lmhbuss
lv2lft
madisonamanda
MargaretSans
mk2fit
moniquemallarifitness
MotunStrong
ninerbuff
ninthnarnian
NRGTRAINING
OldSportOldsport
oocdc2
peaceout_aly
pjowkar
rajeshvvcool
ransaka
Rachelmilloy
RA60172
rickweinberg
riffraff2112
RunRutheeRun
rybo
SamMarriottPT
siraphine
shredcamps
sgrathwol
sobriquet01
smc0170
Spliner1969
StephAStephan
sunflowerhippi
Squidgeypaws007
toadhunter911
Titanuim
tweaking_time
tjradd73
Valrotha
Vegatron70
Verity1111
VeronicaA76
vollans
zcb94

Replies

• sgrathwol
    sgrathwol Posts: 26 Member
    I'd love to be a mentor or Accountabuddy!
    I cook and have a lot of nutrition knowledge. Ex-Rower
    My profile
    6'1.5" 165 lbs looking to be 171 lbs
  • sgrathwol
    sgrathwol Posts: 26 Member
    Workout 6 days a week for about 60-90 minutes
    Endurance cardio 20-30 minutes 2-3 times a week or 1 min on/off :)
    Main focus is lifting weights 4-5 days a week
    Cardio 6 days a week

please reach out! dont be shy!
  • Titanuim
    Titanuim Posts: 337 Member
    Hello I am happy offer to act as mentor for someone new to MFP that wants to change their life.

Today I celebrated my 1227th day of logging into MFP and I have managed to achieve and change a lot in those days. The first year was weight loss and learning about fitness and stuff through the forums and personal newsfeeds discussions. The rest of the days are just about maintenance (but still trying to improve all the time).

A little about me. In my 40's and in Australia. I like weightlifting and aerial arts. I know a fair amount about fitness and nutrition but I am not an obsessive food logger and can't offer special love in that area (ie commenting on your food diary - I don't care what you ate today). Plus I can offer the occasional entertaining story to pop on your newfeed.

Consider the time zone if you want to be mentored, as Australia is usually awake when America is asleep and vice versa, so that can make it tricky if you want to converse.
  • awkwardbae
    awkwardbae Posts: 35 Member
    I'd like to be adopted. I'm 20 yo, 153cm "tall" and I have pcos, I've been using this site for a bit to count calories. I've gone from around 154 to 125 pounds and I've been stack to that weight for around a month and struggling to get lower. For exercise I do yoga in my apartment but I want to start going to the gym after my mid terms, I want to become very active and build the best version of my body. I've managed to learn how to control myself eating and to prefer good foods over bad ones, but I also allow myself treats on holidays etc. I hope to be mentored by a person that can show me the way into a healthier more active lifestyle.

Goals:
    Lose the last pounds, GW around 110-115
    Build muscle and learn what to do at the gym, I have no idea
    Manage to get my maintenance calories a bit higher, I think I've screwed up my metabolism a bit by eating 1200 for a long time, now I'm trying to higher my intake slowly, I also sometimes do a "eat more one day and fast the next one" because reddit :P

I'm from Greece, so the timezones might be a bit tricky, I'm still open for a mentor from any country though if you don't mind the time difference!
This discussion has been closed.